Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

long hair tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pixiecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixiecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long hair tips
    Posted: September 08 2005 at 2:48pm

I thought that everyone would benefit from some of these tips for keeping hair in great condition.

1.  Coconut oil      I use Parachute Coconut Oil which is 100% pure and organic. I put it on my dry hair until it is completely staturated and leave it for a couple of hours.  Then I put on my shower cap and hop it the hot shower to let the hot water make the oil penetrate my hair.  I turn the water to as cold as I can handle and shampoo my hair.

2.  Redkin Allsoft Shampoo and conditioner.  It is made with the best ingredients. 

3.  Revlon Colorsilk Haircolor.  This is the only colour I have used that leaves the hair softer than before colouring.  It contains natural ingredients and no Ammonia.  The conditioner has silk amino acids.  

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 4:30pm

Great idea! I hope we can generate a "long hair tips" thread because it seems like all the new folks tend to ask about it  Kinda like "What do you swear by?"

1. Staying away from chemicals, heat styling, blow drying.

2. Condition, condition, condition!

3. Being gentle, use hair friendly toys, not ripping through knots and tangles, especially with wet hair.

4. Washing hair not-often

5. Eating healthy home-cooked meals (and ice cream too) and drinking plenty of fluids, taking a multivitamin

6. Doing search-and-destroy to remove damage and split ends, preventing damage by wearing updos.  

my LJ, 40 inches long
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 5:57pm
I'll add a few:

Dilute your shampoo so it doesn't strip away all of your natural oils.

Detangle long hair with a wide-tooth comb, and start at the tips and gradually work your way up to the top.  Brush your hair only after it has been thoroughly detangled with a comb.  Use your fingers to work out snarls.

Regular cardiovascular exercise

Sufficient nightly sleep

Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 4:26am
I'll two aswell:

* Baking soda and shampoo rinses.
* Conditioner with honey. Makes the hair *soft*

goddess_mels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess_mels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2005 at 10:21pm

My tips:

1. Benign neglect. There is a lot to be said for this. The less you mess around with your hair during the day, the less chance there is to harm it. If it's long enough to put up, go ahead and do so and forget it exists for the day. I use a scrunchee bun right now because my hair is just at my shoulders.

2. Infrequent shampooing (I saw Anais said this as well). I actually CO (condition only), but whatever method you use, try going one more day than you usually do between cleansings. Right now I go every four days.

3. Massage...gently!!! Massage your scalp each day or night.

4. Detangle ONLY with a comb.

5. Relax and enjoy the journey.

Mels
nikki1701 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikki1701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 9:57am
These tips are great!! Thanks girlies. My hair was waist length and due to the condition I had to get it cut to BSL, then went for a trim and it ended up just below sholder length!!

Anyway, I'm now growing it. I'm going to stop drying and straighting my hair unless a special occaision, and I'm going to stop washing it every 2 days and try every 4 days.

I've been so sad about my hair being so short, but i'm going to concentrate on getting it back to being healthy!! There's no point having long hair if it's not looking nice and healthy!!
Nikki :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic