Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How many of you have a fringe/bangs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many of you have a fringe/bangs?
    Posted: October 20 2005 at 10:28pm

I am sure this has probably been posted before, but since I am relatively new.......

How many of you long haired ppl have a fringe? I do. I have tried growing it out, but I just didn't like the look.  I like how my fringe softens my face.  It is just a small fringe.....I cut it myself. It starts about 2/3 of the way across my hairline (where I have a natural part) and it sweeps to one side.  It also gives me something to play with/style as I wear my hair up almost all the time now.

What do you all think of fringes on long haired ppl?

(btw, I know that the americans call it "bangs", I just can't bring myself to say that word! hehe)

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 11:49pm
I don't personally have a fringe.
I've seen many ladies posting on long hair forums about getting or keeping them.
I think if you get the ones that you like there's nothing wrong with them.

The ones shown in your shorter picture look nice on you.
I think it's good to experiment with things like that. Yes it can take a while to grow them out if you don't like them, same with layers. But you just don't know if you like them until you try them.

Good question Rini. :)

Have you had other styles of fringe before?
ChelseaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChelseaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 12:08am
I have bangs, I can either have them straight across or side sweep them to either side. So you are defintintly right Rini, bangs or fringe as I guess Australians call them (I have always wanted to go to Australia so bad!) are very fun to play with.
Chelsea~*
www.myspace.com/chelsea_nicole_boyd
Hair Type: 1a/1b-N-ii
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 3:34am
I keep cutting a fringe and growing it out. I just cut one last week, I can also have mine straight or sweept to one side. I love my fringe when i have my hair up 
They grow out so if i get tired of them i just let them grow.
I have also been thinking about this subject, and what long haired people think of fringes/bangs.
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 6:56am
I have a fringe as well. It seems to grow faster than the rest of my hair until it realises I'm growing it out and it just stops! I'm going to grow it down to my jaw so it's still there to soften my face.
yeahyeahyeah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yeahyeahyeah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 9:11am

I do!  well...I did...I haven't gotten a trim in a while so they are pretty long.  Next time I go to get a trim (thursday...keep your fingers crossed they won't do a hack job!) I'll get my bangs back.  I loved my bangs!

tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 10:05am
Jennifer has bangs and as many others said they do, she can keep them straight when they're shorter or swept to the side as they grow out a bit.  Here's a link to a picture that shows what they look like.

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 11:31am
I don't have a fringe but I've considered getting one. A fairly long side swept one Just not sure if it'd look good or whether it'd be too sharp a contrast with the rest of my hair. I admire it on other people but they mostly have shoulder-bsl hair and it isn't such a contrast. The few people I've seen with long hair and a fringe or layers or whatever, it's always looked a bit odd to me. Interesting to hear of so many fringies...

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 1:20pm

I have bangs - but I don't do a straight-across fringe.  I  trim a small wedge (pie) shape that meets in the center near the top front of my head.  This style cut on the bangs is modified from the latter eighties kinds of cuts, but I trim it into a smaller wedge.  I am not going for a start of a layered shag or anything.

This style gives you more alternatives - you can alter your part, make straight bangs, brush them back, and you can always get more height.  I don't like flat hair. 

They are not short though.  I just measured them and they are 5.5 inches long.  The shorter my hair is, the more curly it gets.  If I pull a lock down straight, it touches my mouth.  Normally I keep them a bit shorter - to the tip of the nose.

Don't really have a problem blending them in with the rest of the hair.  Right now, they are in an off-centered part, mostly fluffed back except one or two rebellious locks which are currently trying to start a loose cork-screw curl almost in front of my eyes.  Dammit. 

Sometimes I consider growing them out, but I hate that awkward length stage you got to go through to get any decent length. 

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 2:07pm
I've got a fringe.  I was wondering just last week why we call them bangs.  I looked it up in an online encyclopedia and it sounded like they were guessing!  Something about them being cut "quick like a bang" which sounded pretty ridiculous (as well as not necessarily true...takes longer to get the bangs straight than it does my hair!).  I'm going to call them fringe now, at least it looks like a fringe. 

I just cut mine a few weeks back to hide my wrinkly forehead.  I look much younger!  I wanted my hair all one length, thinking I'd look like a hair monster with both bangs and very long hair (down the line), but oh well.  Bangs are also irritating because they get oily fast and I have to wash them every day, while only washing my hair every other day...again, oh well.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 4:56am
sleep with them pulled back in a cloth hairband. I find that stops oilyness.
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:03pm

Purplebubba, it's funny but the pics in my sig I would consider to be "fringe-less". I didn't really have a fringe, and the shorter bits at the front I would just pin back with a bobby pin.   I cut the fringe recently because I feel it's more flattering and I'm not so self concious about  having curly hair and a straighter fringe.....the fringe isn't dead straight anyway and it's always kind of swept off to one side.

When I was younger and used to straighten my hair (SUCH curl denial!) I had a straight across fringe which I thought looked quite good too.   But I'm over the straightening phase, so I'll stick with what I've got

Ladyfrog and Susan, I know what you mean about the contrast in having a fringe and then really long hair.  I think it looks odd too. But I think that when the time comes (and it WILL) that I have really long hair, then I may decide to let my fringe grow out. It will only take a year or so to get to a decent length.  I am really enjoying having a fringe now though. It DOES make you look younger

One thing though (and I wonder if someone can advise me?) I tend to use a bit of hairspray just on the fringe to keep it in place, but I've noticed that I'm getting little white flakes on the fringe hairs that are very hard to remove.  I've used ACV (neat on those hairs) and shampooed well, and they do come clean, but it's a bit of work.  Is there a hairspray I can use that won't do this?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:09pm
Is the spray you're using a pump spray or aerosol? That might make a difference. Just guessing though.
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:22pm
Well I have used both.  I have a "natural" pump spray, but don't like it as much as the aerosol as I can't get the droplets as fine.  So I usually use an aerosol.   Should I stick with the pump???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:30pm
Are they both leaving the flakes or just one of them?

Another option is get an empty spray bottle that has the adjustable spray so you can tighten it a bit.

Or perhaps spray a comb and then comb the spray into the fringe.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 5:10pm
Rini, your hair appears fringe-less to me.

There's no fringe on my head.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 7:05am
When I used to use hair spray, I'd get the white-flake looking stuff if I brushed the hairspray after it was dry.  I just had to shampoo my bangs only every day to get rid of it. 

Thanks for the headband idea, Hellfrozeover, but my hair likes to stick up when its short, so if I did that I would have to wash them in the mornings to get them to lay down right again anyway.  A headband would definitely keep them from getting oily though. (Too bad long straight hair with fringe that sticks straight up to the sky isn't in style...I'd be set!).
 \||/
||
||  ||
||  ||

Edited by Susan W
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 7:31am

LOL Susan :)

I think I will do a little experiment: use only one type of hairspray for a week and see if it is the one causing the flakes.  Simple right? I'm hoping I can find one that doesn't make flakes though....I NEED that little bit of hairspray!!!

kimberlily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimberlily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 10:35am

Missrini, have you ever thought of using sugar water instead of hairspray? It rinses out really easily, and doesn't build up. I don't have a recipe, since I don't use spray, but I'm sure you could find it if you googled it :)

I have a bit of a fringe. I'm growing out bangs, so they now reach my chin. I plan on leaving that hair shorter than the rest, probably shoulder length or slightly above, to soften things up. I look horrible with ALL my hair pulled back, so having a long fringe like that will prevent me from looking like a librarian

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 6:33pm

Thanks kimberlily! I think that's a great idea.  I did a search and here's what I found:

SUGAR WATER HAIR SPRAY

Ingredients
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 to 1 cup hot water (less water for a thicker spray)

Dissolve the sugar in the hot water. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle, and spray on the hair. (You’ll need to soak the spray nozzle in hot water to dissolve the sugar crystals between uses.)

Caution: Don’t use this hair spray when you will be outside and could attract bees and wasps. If you have a teen at home – or if you are a teen – pay particular attention, because you may just find out how it is that some people can make their hair stand straight up on end for a whole day of school, and this technique doesn’t even take toxic chemicals to accomplish the feat!

I'm definitely going to give this one a try

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic