Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ultra-HAY extensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ydeviller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ydeviller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultra-HAY extensions
    Posted: November 25 2005 at 7:05pm
I have ultra-strands extensions for the second time. (Im a hairstylist and my salon is trying out extensions).  They are heat bonded and I believe they are by ultratress.

They are like HAY.  Dry, breaking, tangly, yuck.  I have all the recommended products by La Gem.  They are not helping.  The hair quality is terrible.

What can I use to moisturize these extensions that wont damage the bonds.  I tempted to use oil and avoid my bonds at the roots. (I know, I shouldnt do it).  But they look pretty ugly.

Please help!!
-Y
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 7:20pm
ohhh...sometimes there is no help when hair is that damaged and brittle. Probably the best solution that I know of is virgin olive oil...of course avoiding the root/bond area. Just use it on the length and ends. Ive used Biosilk Silk Therapy by Faroak and it helps...but if the hair is that bad the olive oil might help more. Good luck and please post if you find something that helps.
ydeviller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ydeviller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 7:24pm
Wow..thanks for such a fast reply!!  Im curious if youve heard if this is typical of ultrastrands.  As i said, this is the second time, and both times theyve been this way.

I was wondering if good old Cholesterol by queen helene would do it.  Its like crisco, but if i avoid the bonds...  Any experience with african american extention products?  Maybe those will help.

I certainly wont be using them in my salon.
-Y
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 7:49pm
I dont recall hearing to much about the ultra strands. Sounds like its time to look for another hair supplier! It cant hurt to try the cholesterol treatment.
Naked Eye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naked Eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 8:01pm
Yeah, coconut oil is what one girl got me started on. I personally love the
Biosilk too. I use my flat iron and put some of that on before and after
and they look so silky and soft.
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 8:04pm
You know what? Once hair is at the straw stage, there's no saving it. Just like when you damage your own hair with color and processing, there's a point of no return and you just have to cut it off.

That hair you have sounds like hair I've gotten from hairpiece.com and other 'reputable' places. Don't think that buying hair from a vendor with a 'name' is any guarantee of anything, unfortunately.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 9:18pm

The Ultrastrands are from the same maker of the Ultratress seamless extension.    The company is a hair piece/ wig manufaturer located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida called Onrite / Gemtress. (Onrite is the men's hair piece division, while Gemtress is the woman's division)

I went to their Florida location for training in women's hair pieces in 2002.  At that time they were just debuting their Ultratress and Ultrastrand extensions.  Initially their hair was very good quality, and I wore it myself.  Since then, I have noticed it is not the same quality that it used to be, and now I don't order from them anymore, due to the poor quality.

I also think their Gemtress conditioners are crapola.

Edited by metalgirl
ydeviller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ydeviller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 10:03am
Thanks alot.  No more Ultra Strands for me.   Waste of my money.
-Y
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 11:47am
Hi Ydeviller

I have Ultratress pushing their Ultra-Strands extensions on
me….I swear this one girl calls me every 2 weeks to push a
sale. I was not impressed either with the Ultra-Strands and the
hair quality was not that great to me.

I agree once hair has gone to that straw stage there is not much
saving it and all you can do are temporary fixes. I have Indian
hair that was bleached very light and they needed some TLC.
Even after a 24 hr soaking in olive oil it only made a slight
difference. Yesterday I got “Lush Milk” from   
http://www.shrinkies.net and I can say it did
revitalize the hair somewhat and gave it a healthier look. I also
use Biosilk Therapy and Matrix Biolage shine renewal, which
are my other favorite glossers. I think a good oil treatment and a
small amount of one of these other products above is as good
as it will get for straw like hair extensions.

As Syren said, there is no guarantee it being good hair from a
company with a name. Even companies selling to licensed
stylist only, where we tend to expect a better product.

Yes, save your money..

Edited by Save~A~Stray
ydeviller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ydeviller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 12:33pm
I have to admit, when removing my first set of extension, there was NO damage.  I have fine, thin hair and typically a tight ponytail will break it off.  That seems to be the only good thing with this product.

I did just soak my hair in olive oil.  Then used Redken Total Recharge as a leave in.  Also used LaGem glosser.  There is a bit of a difference, not much.  Im glad Im a stylist and my staff did the labor.  If I paid $1500 for these Id be p'd off!!   Its painful to me that Ive paid $550 in hair!!  Oh well, better me than a client.

Also, I just discovered this site.  Its GREAT!!  Its so helpful to be able to talk with stylist from all over!!
-Y
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic