Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice for hair growth I wear braids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
first time View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice for hair growth I wear braids
    Posted: January 12 2006 at 5:38pm
Hello I am new to this forum can anyone offer me any advice for hair growth? I wear my hair natural but I keep it in braids (latchcurls, corn rows). I take them down about every 6-8 weeks. As fast as my hair grows out it breaks off again.
I have read about wild gro and other products. Are there any vitamins, shampoos, or leave in conditioners I should use? I am currently using nexuss products but thats it. Any suggestions would be helpful. My hair is thick but thin around the ends. Its not very long. I would love to have long hair. Please help thank you in advance. Please forgive me if you have already answered these questions. This forum has been really insightful about hair care. 
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 10:13pm

Your-hair-should-rest-take-a-break-betweem-braids

shampoo/deep-comdish-while-im-braids-use-leabe-im-daily

Oil-the-scalp-daily-with-essemtial-oils

aboid-mimeral-oil/petro-products-like-the-plague

use-castor-oil-as-a-pre-poo-treatmemt-om-dry-hair-oberimite- thickems-hair/moisturizes/softems-it

excuse-typos-broke-keyboard

rosemary-oil-diluted-im-sweet-almomd-oil-is-great-for-stimul atimg-growth

hope-this-helps

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 11:16pm
Thank you so much for your advice I am going to try these products. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 1:32pm

you-are-welcome-keep-me-posted(re-your-progress)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 1:34pm
O-btw-salomcare-sampoos/comdish-at-sally's-beauty-supply-are -great/cheap
SimplyAlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplyAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 3:28pm

Don't worry about hair growth. What you should worry about is the healthy of the hair that you have. Healthy hair rarely has any breakage. Since I became natural I have had nearly any breakage at all. My last Relaxer was over 2 years ago and my is about 13 inches long now in natural layers so it looks a lot longer than it is. So basically I am going to tell you what has worked for me and then may be you can work around it.

Products:

• CON Conditioning/Detangling Shampoo
  • Nexxus Humercant Conditioner
  • Bumble and Bumble Leave in Con.
  • 100% Shea Butter
  • WGO Wild Grow Hair Oil
  • 100% Aloe Vera Gel
  • Redken Heat Glide

I usually wash my hair about once a week. I shampoo and then deep condition my hair for about and hour. Then I detangle (and stretch) my hair with the conditioner still in it using my beloved Denman D3 Brush. Then I rinse out the con. While my hair is still dripping wet I apply my Bumble and Bumble. Then I usually follow by braiding or twisting my hair using my shea butter and Aloe Vera Gel while my hair is still damp.

I try to stay away from heat but I usually end up using it once a month never any more. Because heat will kill your hair causing dryness, breakage, all that jazz. When I do you heat I use my Heat protectant. I mostly only straighten my hair in the winter because in Florida the humidity will kill it.

Heat damage or damage from wearing braids could be causing your breakage (therefore hair that doesn’t grow). Give your hair some TLC Tender Love and Care and it should start sprouting like weed in no time.

Hair Type: 4a/3c Natural
Hair Length: Mid Back (growing out Layers)
Hair Goal: Long Layered Waist length/ Super Healthy!
1babydimple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1babydimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 2:02am

I also wear my hair in braid or twist 90% of the year. I have experience the same thing when I first started braiding (years ago)

It's basically the same as when your hair is loose. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture. I personally love the Better Braids products, (Braid Sparay and Unbraid Spray). I also use Infusium 23 on my hair every day when it's in braids. Actually I make a mixture of braid spray/infusium and spray my "BRAIDS" in the morning and at night. I say braids because I try not to spray my scalp every day. I section off my braids in scrunchies, hold the braids away from my head and spray the top and bottom. Nightly massages while bending head down also help.

I love Aphogee shampoo and recontructor. I do my own braids so I wash my hair about every 2 days and the night before I massage polysorbate 80 into my scalp, shower cap it then tie down the shower cap. Oh yeah and finally never go to sleep even with braids without putting on a silk scarf or bonnet.

I love braids because I can acheive 2-3" a month with them. As a matter of fact at the end of this month I'm back in my braids

you get real spoiled with braids. This combing and worrying about hair every morning is for the birds or as I would say in NJ boyds.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 12:14pm
  I'm so glad I found this website. I have had a wonderful experience. Everyone gives each other so much detailed information to help each other with their hair concerns. I really appreciate all of the information I have received. I just wanted to say thank you. I am going to try these products hopefully I will achieve the results both of you have. Thank you again 
You better love you
Better love yourself first
Lela James
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 11:21am
1babydimple, you grow 2-3" of hair a month? Wow! 
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 12:38pm
Just remember to keep the hair conditioned while its in the braids. Never let them be too tight and you should wash them while theyre up there
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1babydimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 1:40pm

Layla, no joke in braids I can get at least 2" . I believe it's because I'm constantly massaging and can wash every day. Now out of braids with flat ironed or permed hair 1/2-3/4" because the routine completely changes.

I have 3Q hair which means I can name at least 3 ways in which it is quite difficult to deal with, quite dry, quite coarse, quite nappy, so for me to try and wash my hair more than 2x @ week with it loose is more than a job it's a frickin adventure in terror. Actually I have to have 2 days to do my hair because it is thick and takes all day to dry.

Better Braids spray, polysorbate 80, watered down wave noveau, aphogee shampoo/conditioner and massages is my everyday routine in braids.

We'll see in April when I take the braids down lol

smithH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2006 at 11:36pm
Well for one thing if the braids are too tight that can cause breakage. I would take a break from braiding for a while and let your hair recooperate, the same thing happened to me but I gave up braids for good. For your thin edges some things that works for me is Mane N Tail regular shampoo, my hair go thicker, stronger, and I noticed new growth around my hairline. I also used sulfur8 around my hairline and scalp, but not into hair, sulfur8 works really great and helped stimulate new growth.
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by 1babydimple 1babydimple wrote:

I also wear my hair in braid or twist 90% of the year. I have experience the same thing when I first started braiding (years ago)

It's basically the same as when your hair is loose. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture. I personally love the Better Braids products, (Braid Sparay and Unbraid Spray). I also use Infusium 23 on my hair every day when it's in braids. Actually I make a mixture of braid spray/infusium and spray my "BRAIDS" in the morning and at night. I say braids because I try not to spray my scalp every day. I section off my braids in scrunchies, hold the braids away from my head and spray the top and bottom. Nightly massages while bending head down also help.

I love Aphogee shampoo and recontructor. I do my own braids so I wash my hair about every 2 days and the night before I massage polysorbate 80 into my scalp, shower cap it then tie down the shower cap. Oh yeah and finally never go to sleep even with braids without putting on a silk scarf or bonnet.

I love braids because I can acheive 2-3" a month with them. As a matter of fact at the end of this month I'm back in my braids

you get real spoiled with braids. This combing and worrying about hair every morning is for the birds or as I would say in NJ boyds.

BabyDimple, could you post your regimen and products you use while you are in braids.  I would love to have braids, but, I'm scared of stressing my hair.  It seems like you have it figured out.

Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1babydimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 5:21pm

Vanity 3 braids are easy to maintain, but just like when your hair is loose you have to be consistant.

Before I braid I make sure I get at least 3 deep conditioning with a cholestrol conditioner. Shampoo with Aphogee for dry/damaged hair. While my hair is drying I saturate the hair with ORS Olive Oil Lotion until I can see it in my hair. Dry and braid.

Once my hair is braided I then spray it with a mix of Better Braids spray and Infusium23 for permed hair (blue bottle). This spray I use morning and night. It looks weird the way I do it but ...

I put the braids in 4 sections w/scruncies. Holding the ends of the braids away from the head I spray the "braids" only until damp. Massage the scalp then run my fingers downward through the braids. I keep doing this until the spray is equally distributed. Move on to the next section.

Lately I have been applying MTG to the scalp at night this I do before the braid spray. Tie my head up and that's it.

I've tried just about every spray on the market and to me Better Braids give my 4a/b dry hair the best results. When I take my hair down I also use their Un-Braid spray. My hair is the softest when I take it down from braids, with very little hair loss.

Couple final tricks to making braids work for you;

1. If when they braid you have one eye closed from the pain -

It's To Tight - Stop them immediately.

2. Never let anyone add more than 4" more than your natural hair

if you plan on wearing them for more than a week. The weight of

the synthetic hair can pull your hair out from the root. (BALD) If

your hair is shoulder or above go for a nice bob with some swing

action. A good braider can have those braids curl under just like

your hair. (Armpit the absolute longest)

3. If you are starting with thin or weaken edges and have

conditioned, conditioned, conditioned have your stylist do

cornrows or twist in the front so that the weight of the hair is not

just on those few weak strands. I wouldn't do it at all, but if you

still want to - go for the cornrows or twist up front.

4. If you perm - wait at least 3-4 weeks before you braid so that the

permed hair is also supported with some stronger new growth.

5. Wash your braids at least 1x a week just like your regular hair.

OOOOO last a long post but I hope that helps because you can wear braids and not lose your hair. Remember - Spray, Spray, Spray you can never spray to much. This is a true case of more is better. This all my opinion only- someone who has been braiding and growing out peoples hair for over 25yrs with braids.

Good luck post a pic when you get them.

Phoenix1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phoenix1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 8:50pm
I agree with the comments on washing once a week and making sure the braids are not too tight. Also, make sure you moisturize daily. (more than once if needed)
My Hair Site
Copy site: http://phoenix1017.sitesled.com

Current Length:32"
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by 1babydimple 1babydimple wrote:

Vanity 3 braids are easy to maintain, but just like when your hair is loose you have to be consistant.

Good luck post a pic when you get them.

Thanks so much for posting!  I copied it into my fotki journal and of course gave your the credit! 

If you don't mind, visit my fotk and give me your best advicei.  I am trying to recover from thinning hair after a sew in and I'm transitioning.  I have a particular braid style in mind.  It is also in my photo album under "Hair inspirations." 

Thanks so much again.  This is stuff that they should teach in schools!

Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1babydimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 12:27am

Vanity viewed your fotki and the braid style is exactly what I would recommend. Something that crosses over the thinning areas. Now, cornrows don't last as long as individuals, but in this case we are trying to let your hair recover. You will probably get 3 weeks/washes with them, before they begin to get a little fuzzy.

To help thicken definetly get the polysorbate 80 with biotin and niacin and start taken a multi vitamin. I've been taking a Mega Vitamin for hair from Puritan's Pride. If you haven't checked it out also you might want try MTG. It helped to speed up the progress for me. If you aren't allergic to sulphur you might want to try that also.

The poly will help promote a healthy scalp for your hair and the vitamins will encourage the body to produce the nutrients for healthy hair.

Finally patience is needed your hair didn't thin in 24hrs and I know it can be hard to wait but you must give your body & hair the chance to rejuvenate. I would say with daily massages, spraying your braids regularly, and the multi - in 3 to 6 months there should be a noticeable difference. Remember with your braids - SPRAY- SPRAY and SPRAY some moe.  Do not let them dry out or your hair will fall out.

That should be the chant for this post - "DRY OUT, THEY FALL OUT" "DRY OUT, THEY FALL OUT"  "DRY OUT, THEY FALL OUT"

Oh, here's the link for the the poly & vitamins

POLYSORBATE 80    http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=A1CBE1CB867F4C62BDE 015D95F44A003&PID=549&CPID=859&np=1

MEGA VITAMINS   http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?xs=8BEC00E72A4C4650B2D 78F14EC4C82C5&PID=4&CPID=482&np=1

If I forgot anything here it's probably in my journals. I'm not a licensed beautician or physician but I do know what I have seen work time and time again.  http://journals.fotki.com/1babydimple/

Now I'm getting excited can't wait to see your update pics in June

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic