Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Relaxers/chemical straightening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HCQueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCQueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Relaxers/chemical straightening
    Posted: February 18 2006 at 11:01pm
 Ok so here's the deal- I have curly, thick hair. And I'm sick of it...so i've been thinking about getting a professional chemical relaxing treatment. Do any of u guys know anything about it?? like, if you did or didn't like it when u had it done, or if you can go back to curly if you don't like it??!! I'm kinda nervous about it--so please help! 
Love, Tasha
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 2:31am

I've never had any chemical work done, but just wanted to answer your other question: No, it won't be possible to undo it if you don't like it. Chemical treatments do result in some amount of damage, depending on your hair type. For all purposes, a relaxer or perm is permanent. I highly recommend asking the hairstylist to do a strand test if you decide to go for the relaxer.

Curly thick hair - sounds beautiful already.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
HCQueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCQueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 1:52pm
Thanks for your reply....i did some research online, and it seems like there are more cons than pros to the whole process, so i don't think i'll do it. I'll just keep wrestling with my hair as-is, and straightening it every once in a while.
Love, Tasha
baby*flower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 2:06pm

Originally posted by HCQueen HCQueen wrote:

Thanks for your reply....i did some research online, and it seems like there are more cons than pros to the whole process, so i don't think i'll do it. I'll just keep wrestling with my hair as-is, and straightening it every once in a while.

chemaical relaxers are not all bad, i got it done a year ago and my hair so much more manmageable i can straighten it way better than before and i find that i condition it way more than i did before resulting in healthier hair for me. It ultimatley depends on the type of hair u have though its not all bad, you just have to make sure to go to a person who knows what their doing and second u have to know how to take care of your hair after you get this done.

Sweetcandicurlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweetcandicurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 9:46pm
well i don't know what ur hair type is, but i've had relaxer in my hair and it's damaged my hair not too bad but enough for me not to want relaxers any more. my mom use to just buy relaxers from the store and we wouldn't leave it in the whole time ur suppost for example if it said to leave it in for 20 min, i would just leave it in for 10 or 15 b/c i didn't want it completely straight, just more managable, but for me it was a bad idea b/c my hair grows extremely slow, and right now i'm trying to grow it out and it's takeing forever, i'de rather deal w/ my naturally curly hair and for it to be healthy and long, rather than to be more managable, but damaged and short but if ur hair grows fast and u think u could deal w/ it if u didn't like it then i guess go for it, but if not i wouldn't.
I love chocolate and monkeys!!I'm the sweetest peanutbutter cup chica you'll ever want to meet! love, hugs, and kisses.
pharrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pharrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 7:49pm
ok what ethnicty are you because I get relaxers(biracial) and when I wash my hair turns back curly. but I would not get a relaxer to much chemicals for me personally i am in the process of growing it out right now
FrizzyJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrizzyJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 3:40pm
Shocked  is it really  impossible to undo it if you don't like it?????
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2007 at 2:34pm
Yeap! Once it is done, you have to grow it out. However if your hair is curly (not nappy curly) you have the option of using a Thio based relaxer instead of a Sodium hydroxide (lye) relaxer, or calcium hydroxide (no lye) relaxer.

Thio is designed to retexturize curly hair. Your hair really becomes smooth, shiny, and very soft. Once you blow dry it straight, it will be frizz free and will stay that way, even in humid weather. the advantage is that you can still wear your hair curly if you want. The curls will just be smoother, looser, softer and with the right leave in conditioner, frizz free.

So look into it. Many salons have it. There are differenct brands. Rusk Radical Anti-curl, Redken Vertical, Matrix opti-smooth, L'oreal X-tenso etc.
Just make sure that the person performing the service has ALOT of experience, and is a chemical expert.

Good luck and great hair!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic