Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

reaction to hair dye

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hotpink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotpink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reaction to hair dye
    Posted: February 19 2006 at 1:22am
has anyone ever had tiny bumps on their scalp after they dyed their hair? i had some the previous time i dyed my hair. they were a little bit painful when i touched them but most have gone away. should i be worried? how long should i wait to dye again? or should i stop altogether?

Edited by hotpink
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 1:37am
What volume of peroxide did you use?  My head cannot stand 40 vol.  How long has it been since you last dyed your hair, I think coloring too frequently may cause some scalp irritation.

Edited by Rebekah
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 2:10am
Yes, I've had bumps on my scalp after dyeing before.  It was like a rash all over my scalp, and it itched a lot, and hurt if I scratched at it.  At first I thought it was the ammonia in the dye I was using, so I got one with no ammonia, and it still happened :-( .  Because of that, and the fact putting peroxide on wounds has begun to make them worse rather than better, I think I've become allergic to peroxide.  I've been trying to use dyes that have none of either, and it hasn't happened since, but now my choices of dyes are more limited :-( .
More awesome than a manatee!
meli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 2:51am
I had that on the back of my neck for a couple days after using 30 volume because my hair accidentally touched my neck for a while during the process.  I would wait until they go away before dying so it doesn't cause  you more pain.  Other than causing more scalp irritation, I don't know of any other adverse effects that can result.
aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 8:23am
I've had bad itchiness and a bit of burning from dying, but only because I dyed my hair straight after shampooing - that was a mistake I'll never make again!!!
hotpink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotpink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 12:00pm
it is a bit strange because i used an OTC brand Revlon Colorsilk in med. brwn and it had no ammonia in it. ive used it before also. i guess i need to start doing the allergy tests
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 12:04am

You can become allergic to things, even if you've been able to use them with no problems before.  That's why the packages say to always do the allergy test.

More awesome than a manatee!
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 9:56am
I notice that I have a little more itching and irritation when the weather's dry......which in SE Texas is about 4 weeks a year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic