Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

moldy hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LetGoMommyHair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LetGoMommyHair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: moldy hair?
    Posted: May 20 2006 at 8:03am
Thank you! Maybe I'll do a tight pony after doing the sock curl. Then I won't be so worried about it falling out on me! :-) I want to hide my gray and when I try to do the twists, I tend to get separation at my center part (exposing the gray). I'll have to practice a lot more.

LetGo...sweetie...let go of mommy's hair...
philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 5:30am

I braid mine when wet, it dries in about 12/14 hours like that and have never had any problems in that time but then I go 4/5 days between washes so it is dry more than wet.

3a C/M ii 35"(21/03/06)dark red

Founding Member of the Benign Neglect Club. All applications welcome and accepted (each member to decide for themselves what they consider to be neglectful)
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 6:01pm
I've never actually heard of anyone getting mold in their hair.  But if the conditions were "right" (such as Susan suggests), I suppose it's possible (and the hair wouldn't even have to be long).  I braid my hair damp or wet, and live in Florida, but I've never had any problems with mold in my hair.  Of course, much of my time is spent in air-conditioned places, so...
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 8:46am
I think moldy hair is more of a problem if you live in a very moldy environment (for instance, when I lived near New Orleans and didn't have air conditioning for a few years).  If you have an air conditioned, dry house, (so the spores aren't just floating all over) I think you'd be okay, and each shampooing would get rid of any mold you'd collected. 

I probably would let it dry all the way to avoid the extra damage though. If you put it up wet you have to be more careful to use hair safe tools, and more careful putting them in, as that's when hair might get ripped.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 5:37pm

I don't think it's good to have hair be consistently damp. Wet hair is much more easily damaged and snapped than dry hair. Hair should be allowed to dry in-between washings, IMO.

my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 11:19pm

Hmmm....well mould grows in damp, warm, dark places.....just like the environment that is created with wet hair in an upstyle.

So...in theory, I'd say that mould is a possibility.  However, I wear damp buns alot and have never had a problem.

Conclusion....I don't know!!   I guess if you're having problems with itchiness etc then make sure your hair dries completely before bed.

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 9:12am
On one of my forums, some ladies have been saying that they put their wet long hair up into buns or braids and keep them that way all day. When they take their hair down, it is still wet. They claim they never really let their hair dry and never have a problem.

I find that if I go to bed with wet hair, my scalp gets very itchy due to dandruff/yeast overgrowth. I have never put my hair up in a bun or braid without drying it first since I thought my hair would be harmed. A part from freezing damage in winter weather, is it ok not to let hair dry completely on a regular basis?

Can hair get moldy from not being allowed to dry?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic