Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mullet!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mullet!
    Posted: May 26 2006 at 3:17am
On Sunday morning my boyfriend's brother brought over my boyfriend's 4 year-old daughter and 3 year-old son after they'd been staying overnight at their grandad's (we usually have them on Saturday nights, but we had to go to an awards ceremony last week and it didn't end until very late).

We live in a mews house and were up in the bedroom on the top floor with the windows open when we heard the car pull up outside and the children's voices.  We looked out of the window excitedly, only to see my boyfriend's little daughter sporting a seriously TERRIBLE new haircut!

Her fringe is now about one inch or even less - last week it was down to the bridge of her nose as it was growing out.

Now, my boyfriend doesn't have the best relationship with the children's mother (his ex), to say the least.  He lost it completely and went raging downstairs to see the damage up close.  It was really awful; the fringe is soooo short, very thick and sloping up to about half an inch long in the middle.  Then there is a bit of horrible feathering over the ears, but the rest of her hair is still long at the back so it looks exactly like a mullet.  The sides were also really uneven, with a lot more taken off of one side than the other.  We could hardly believe our eyes!

My boyfriend asked her who on earth had cut it and she said 'Papa' (grandad).  This made sense as my boyfriend's dad is always moaning about the little girl's long fringe (we clip it back but when she runs around strands fall out and into her eyes, although she never seems to mind herself).  My boyfriend hit the roof again and immediately called up his dad.

Then, he came back in the room with the full story...his daughter had actually woken up early, gone into the bathroom, climbed on the toilet seat and opened the cabinet to get the nail scissors from the top shelf and started cutting her hair herself!  Papa had found her and had to try to even out the mess.  It can't have been easy as she had snipped off pieces about five inches long!  He showed us a photo on his phone of what she'd cut herself and I have to admit that the mullet was a BIG improvement! 

On Sunday night we had to take the children, and the mullet, back to their mother's.  Luckily she saw the funny side!  Let's just hope it grows out quickly over the summer (she starts school in September).

Did anyone else ever cut their hair when they were little?  I never did; I guess I was just too vain even at four years old(!)
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 7:19am
I guess the long fringe must have bothered her after all!  LOL  How did she feel about it when everyone was mad about her hairdressing attempt?

I never cut my hair when I was a really little kid, but I started cutting my own when I was 12.  I didn't mess it up the first time, but I did mess it up the second and had to go to the hairdressers for them to fix it (still 12, had a short cut back then).  I did a better job of it after that and didn't go back.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 9:39am

That's good work; I would never dare to cut my own hair!

The little one doesn't seem too bothered a) that everyone was shouting at her (she denied it point blank pretty much and stuck to her story that Papa did it...even when he produced the mobile phone pics of her wielding the nail scissors and surrounded by random chunks of hair sitting in his bathtub in his pyjamas...you gotta laugh, hey?) or b) that her hair looks awful!   
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 12:14pm
Wow.  Shocked  I guess the moral of the story is to keep supervise the very young when they're playing with scissors.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 7:55am
I guess we should be relieved that of all the stuff in the medicine cabinet at Papa's the only thing she 'played' with was the - pretty blunt - nail scissors.  If she'd popped a pill or something we mightn't be laughing now.  At least this has prompted Papa to get one of his son's (my boyfriend's little bro) to put a lock on the cabinet.  Although I don't think the kids' mother will let them stay at his place again for a while anyway.

The hair is not growing.  Every time I see it, I don't know whether to laugh or cry!
arejster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arejster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2006 at 6:53pm
I did exactly the same thing as the little girl mentioned in the first post... only I was not 4, but 14. Oh, it was terrible. 
I'm trapped in a Borg Cube!
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 8:08pm
I cut a chunk of my hair when I was like 4. I don't even know why I did it. I was in the bathroom with one of my sisters, who is a year younger than me. I don't even know how we got a hold of some scissors. I grabed a chunk of hair from the front and just snipped it off. Then my sister did the same thing. My mother freaked when she saw us, but she recovered quickly, and told us how we would have to live with the consecuences of our hair cut until it grew out. Needles to say, we never did it again.
You'll be surprised though how many kids do that.
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 5:37pm
If it makes you feel better when I was in kindergarten I told my mom I would cut off the bad parts and needless to say it turned out HORRIBLE!!!! Hair grows back though.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 3:43pm
LOL! what do mean you would cut off the bad parts? And your mom actually let you do it? What parts did you end up cutting off? OMG, every time I think about the crazy things you can come up with as a kid, I freak out and run in to check on my nieces and nephews. As a matter of fact, let me go do that right now!
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 8:56am
My mom didn't hear me and I referred to the bad parts as thee semi-existent split ends. my mom was not to happy.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 12:07pm
LOL, I bet she wasn't. Well at least your bad cut was at the ends and not at the frontal hairline like mine.  I ended up with a huge bald spot right in front where everyone could see. It was not fun, but I still laught about it though. Yeah! that's the stuff childhood memories are made off.
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 1:31pm
I cut my bangs once and it was so weird. like those fuzzy kinds
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 3:17pm
OMG! I know what you're talking about. My mom actually decided to give me bangs one time. And yes, she decided to do it herself. My mom is an interior decorator, who before that, was a lab technician. Where in the world did she get the idea that that background would qualify her to cut hair, I don't know. Well she ended up giving me these huge bangs that sort of came down from the middle of my head and opened up to form like a triangle. If that makes any sense. So you can imagine what would happened when I would go to school and play a little under the hot sun and humid climate of the Dominican Republic, which is where I grew up.

That thing would swell up, frizz, and upen up to this half of an open umbrella type of thing. Every time I think about it I still feel like crying LOL.
Until this day, she still apologizes when I mention it to her.

My mom is a great mom. In fact she is the best in the world (at least in my eyes). But that was cruel, oh so cruel! LOL
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 2:03am
 haha~my daughter did the same thing when she was 3. She always sees me cut my own hair and I guess she wanted to cut hers. At first I thought she had gotten into my hair gel and just "SLICKED"her hair back,but at a closer inspection,she had BUZZED her bangs completely to the scalp! The sides were also cut horribly uneven. I tried to cut it myself,but even cutting in a bob like fashion up to her ears,it was still uneven with no bangs!!!
All summer long she wore a sun hat to cover it,and it actually took a whole year before it grew back right.
I also had my nephew cut MY HAIR when he was spending the night.Early in the morning I awoke to him standing above me with the scissors! I didnt think he'd got me,but a week later I noticed really SHORT pieces at the back of my head that wouldnt lay flat,I looked like DEnnis the menace!
Now I ALWAYS ALWAYS keep scissors hidden.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2006 at 11:08pm
LOL! this is so funny, we just found a spot on my 3 year old nephew's hair that was scissor cut, I believe by my 7 year old nephew. We are not sure because he will not comfess, and my other nephew and 2 nieces won't give each other up for nothing LOL! They will all go down before they tell on each other. I guess is nice that they are tight! LOL. Thank God is not that noticible and my sister buzzes his hair anyway, so it will be gone by his next haircut.

I guess it doesn't matter how many years go by, kids will be kids and they will give themselves (or each other) "haircuts" LOL
hannebash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannebash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 10:19am
Both of my daughters have cut their own hair. My oldest cut her hair about about age 4.  Luckily, her hair was put up at the time so when I took the rubber band out, you could cover the really short chunk pretty well .On the down side, I couldn't put her hair up for a long time. My younger daughter cut a big chunk of hair as well, but it grew out pretty fast and I didn't nearly cry like I did the first time with my older daughter. I cut my hair myself alot over the past year. Needless to say, it looked like crap and it was too short all year due to me trying to constantly "fix" the bad haircut. I finally sucked it up and went to a good hairdresser who completely fixed the mess I made and I was able to leave my hair alone and finally it is growing out, alot!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic