Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Book::Ultimate Black Hair Growth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Luvlybelizean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvlybelizean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book::Ultimate Black Hair Growth
    Posted: July 07 2006 at 10:16am

ive heard a couple of people comment  about cathy Howse's book, i wanted some feed back, i was on her web site couple minutes ago, this is my second time on her web site, does anyone have a testimony about her techniques, and what is her system based on, i dont want to buy the book, if im not able to get products at affordable prices at my local bss.

check out her web if you havent, her hair really looks nice and some of her customers testimonies are believable.

"A rose is still and always will be a rose"~Aretha Franklin.* Remember beauty is in the eyes of the beholder*
Last relaxer:4/06
Trans. styles: weaves&braids
goal:4-6" natural
Currently: 4"uneven
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2006 at 7:53pm
i liked the book and it was informative to me, and dispelled a lot of myths that over the years you come to believe about hair growth.. i felt it was very helpful for me in my hair growth journey and affected how i looked at things and how to proceed.. i've used the products, i love the conditioner it makes your follicles tingle a lot, its great..i like the cream lotion and the dew mist...i thought it was for helpful for me and benefiicial..
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 9:45am
I've had questions about this book too. Wanted to buy but do you actually have to use her products to get the results?
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! My Fotki Album
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 12:07pm
like i said the book was very helpful to get me going in the right direction, i continued to do my research and explore other avenues keeping in mind what she had said.. and i was able to find other products that you can use that are not her's..like she doesn't have a shampoo but she gives you information like on what types of shampoos would be best for ethnic hair.. and taught a lot about ph levels etc.. i have not found a conditioner that give such a refreshing tingle to my scalp like her's, i use other's but i always save her's for the last treatment that i use, b/c it does open up the follicles and when i begin to apply leave in conditioners and my MTG and Gueye Fast Growth Oil, i like my follicles to be open to receive the benefits.. if i could find a conditioner that would open up my follicles like that i would.. like yesterday i used sea breeze on my scalp after doing a pre poo with olive oil and carrot oil that definitely gave my scalp a good tingle..
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 12:21pm
So using a tingling shampoo helps the hair to grow?
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 12:40pm
well scalp stimulation to the follicles is important b/c it gets the blood flowing to the follicles which helps the hair to grow.. so you definitely want to stimulate the follicles..massaging them as well prmotes hair growth which is almost what the stimulation is doing for the follicles.. follicle care is just as important if not more so than the care of the actual hair, some people get to caught up in the hair care products and forget that if you don't have a healthy scalp with proper blood flow to your follicles your hair won't grow...
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2006 at 6:33pm
When I was on her website, she said something about trimming your ends not being necessary. What do you ladies think of this. Sexibeach, did she further explain in her book?
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 4:02pm

I purchased the book but it hasn't arrived yet. when i read it i will let you know what i think.

I have heard many times from h/dressers that clipping is necessary and then i read on Howse website that clipping is not.  one thing that i learned from going to the hairdresser is that they over do it. the only time i would let a hairdresser in my head with a scissors is if i wanted a specific style, so then a cut is required. i found that clipping doesn't change the hair growth if anything it keeps it short.
i had my hair "clipped' 2 yrs ago and i regret it. it was past my shoulders. yes i left with a short do and the words 'i know i clipped alot but it was worth it'. I wondered for who..... lol.  
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 6:49pm
I know what you mean completely. Hairdressers always cut too much. No matter if your tell them you're trying to grow it out. Thats why no one else puts scissors to my hair but ME!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvlybelizean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 9:05pm
 Wow you guys were very helpful, i love to read different views on the same subject. one book i read that was helpful was Beautiful Black Hair: Real Solutions to Real Problems--A Step by Step Instructional Guide By Shamboosie. this book gave me everything i need to know about relaxers, the #1 cause of hair breakeage in ethnic hair when its not applied properly. He also mentioned a vhs  instructional guide on caring, and setting the hair, but i cant find that thing anywhere! He also has a 12 month hair growth regime, i have to find that piec of info so i can post it up maybe someone finds bits and pieces that are helpful.

sexibeach- did the UBH conditioner open your follicles or all of the products?  to use a product that opens up the follicles sounds really good  something to try besides using peppermint oil and water. Do you use the conditioner once a week or as a CO? Love your info gurl!! Its like we become hair care experts. I LUV IT!!!!
"A rose is still and always will be a rose"~Aretha Franklin.* Remember beauty is in the eyes of the beholder*
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 7:49am
yes the conditioner does open up the follicles, i tend to agree with her on the concept of all the cutting isn't necessary..b/c hair is dead, its the follicles that are alive and produce the growth..we need to keep the ends and hair moist so that it won't break in order to get length and maintain it as it grows from the follicles.. she states that she feels that trimming is only necessary when your hair is uneven..she says she doesn't trim her ends now that she's obtained the growth unless she needs to be even..i also use the MTG and mix it with Gueye Fast Growth Oil as part of my routine and i add jamaica black castor oil with WGO to seal the moisture in..plus moisture and protein treatments weekly, keep the heat off, and i'm not using chemicals right now.. but there's also some herbs that can boost the follicles called hair rush..

HAIR GROWTH AIDS:

Capsicum is the same thing as cayenne and Madam CJ Walker used to use a lot of capsicum in her growth potion. The gueye's growth hair oil which was formulated by an herbalist Linda Gueye who grew her own permed hair from shoulders to almost waist in 2 1/2 years using her growth system ,list as ingredients:

cold pressed olive oil,capsicum,rosemary, aloe vera resin,sage,kelp,nettle,alfafa,horsetail,peppermint .

About the oil, Herbalist Linda Gueye states in her "Grow your hair 1 inch in 2-4weeks "booklet:

"With Gueye-Mother Nature's Best Fast grow Hair oil formula L31, it is possible to see hair growth within a few days of use. Many receding and balding men and women are seeing remarkable results from this product. Formula L31 is excellent for scalp irritation, dandruff and other scalp problems. It actually assist in healing the scalp of many problem’s" like i said before i really think that antifungal or anti dandruff and all contains ingredients that grow hair. i remember my glovers 2% ointment cream (which is stronger than the regular liquid one) had benzoic something the same ingredient.

I'm thinking of purchasing this oil, pour off some of the Cade Oil, not all but adding the hair growth oil to the MTG. Just a thought, and wanted to share, but i think it would promote even faster hair growth using the combination. I been reading about the kelp as well as the other ingredients being a great aid in hair growth also.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvlybelizean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 4:56pm

is shapleys mtg, a watery formula or its like a moisturizer? if its like a moisturizer i would seal that in w/ a hair oil but im not sure what oil to use yet. my hair is braided in extensions ill take them out august 8th(2mo) or if icant got for 2mo, ill take them down at the end of this mo.

i want to line up a final list of products to use while my hair is out of extensions. this is what im thinking:

Carme biotene H-24 shampoo,conditioner, and scalp emulsion ( at GNC and Vitamin shoppee)

LeKairs cholestrol Plus

Shea butter moisturizer( that i see at my Local BSS)

And i need a oil-- if you highly recomend the Gueye's ill try it, as for the WGO, i dont like the smell and im not sure how to hide that smell.

How is the MTG im tempted to try it,one of the gurls on the forum PM me and said the smell doesn't bother her. Did it promote any hair growth.

P>S do you have a album? im starting one

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 5:29pm
no MTG is strickly for the scalp to promote hair growth it has sulfur in it, i think the braids right now would be perfect for that.. the Gueye Fast Growth Oil or WGO wild growth oil would be better for sealing the moisture.. Gueye's can also be used as a hot oil treatment.. these are not the things i use as part of my routine.. i use the ultra black hair care conditioner, and aphogee protein treatments, balance moisturer..and a peppermint scrub shampoo along with Folligen a copper therapy based shampoo..
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 10:33pm
I've read her book.  As a matter of fact, if you search the forum, I've posted some information about her newest book due out soon. 

You don't have to use her products to get results.  Ms. Howse definately got me on the right path to great hair care. 
Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 10:56pm
Hey there, I got the book yesterday and finished it this morning.  It is not a long read at all. It captivates and it makes you want to read from beginning to end.
Well I found it enlightening. NO MORE BRUSHING! But it used to feel so good against the scalp .
But hey Howse recommends we simply massage the scalp, same benefits but in a better way for 'our' hair. I agree. My brush had more hair than i do.

Anyways i think the book is worth the read. She really spells it out. and i liked how she didn't fluff things up. She said it and I got it.

By the way sexibeach. MTG I was wondering how you applied that. I have some here, that I bought with my other MT stuff but the smell.
Last Relaxer Apr 06
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 6:25am
Originally posted by kellie7777 kellie7777 wrote:

Hey there, I got the book yesterday and finished it this morning.  It is not a long read at all. It captivates and it makes you want to read from beginning to end.
Well I found it enlightening. NO MORE BRUSHING! But it used to feel so good against the scalp .
But hey Howse recommends we simply massage the scalp, same benefits but in a better way for 'our' hair. I agree. My brush had more hair than i do.

Anyways i think the book is worth the read. She really spells it out. and i liked how she didn't fluff things up. She said it and I got it.

By the way sexibeach. MTG I was wondering how you applied that. I have some here, that I bought with my other MT stuff but the smell.

i mix it with the other oils i've referred too, and add a little lavander oil for a better scent, put it in a squirt bottle and apply to the scalp only..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 6:36pm
Okay thanks.
I got some lavender oil, so i will put some in it.
Lavender oil here cost $16.95. for like 2 ml.
I was shocked. Someone gave me a bottle for my bath. I didnt know it was that expensive. Sheesh
Last Relaxer Apr 06
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:33am
I think the key is to Howse's products is that they don't coat the shaft like all the other junk. But the fact of the matter is you dont necessarily have to buy her stuff, her success is not exclusive, you can make it yourself. Just look up soapmaking.
I'm in!
mzphatpeeshez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzphatpeeshez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 9:52am

my first time blogging here but when i read the mention of that book Ultimate Black Hair Growth (or UBHG) i couldn't resist

the products sucked... i returned all of mine PRONTO! lol i remember packing all that stuff up..which wasnt bad for $30 but i found that pricey since...they were only 8 ounce bottles-if they were better quality i would not mind since im saving money anyways by doing home treatments--but i would not recommend the products to any1-- although she says in the book that the conditioner isn't designed to 'soften' the hair. im sorry kathy but for those prices...you need to step up your game and research a little better for a product that softens and offers protein + all those other good ingredients in your conditioner all in 1 bottle so I'll have 1 less step and avoid shelling out more $$$ on hair softeners

other than that..i enjoyed the book     i still have it and i agreed with most of the things she discussed...especially the sad games/lies that the salon industry boosts as good hair advice..and the conspiracy to get women to cut their hair/trim it to cut hair salon time so the stylist can fit in more customers-lol     i know for a fact my hair grew faster/better when i quit the visits and only returned for an occasional relaxer (when i cant get some1 to put a simple mild/regular strength box relaxer in my head at home)--since i no longer relax my hair year round...it doesnt make sense. my hair isnt all that coarse & it isnt feasible because i live in an extremely muggy/humid southern city-i only wear it straight for rare special occasions (flat iron) or during cold months -why waste all my money on a relaxer that won't last in the summer and will look more like a curly perm in 2 weeks and $60??? not i)

i truly question the salon stylists-who often give bad information or none whatsoever on hair maintenance care...they want you to keep coming to the salon and shelling out that money every week...sometimes twice a week if you have several events to attend   Howse was right about black women needing to take control over your own haircare and researching to make good hair care decisions
mzphatpeeshez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzphatpeeshez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 10:06am
ok..i do not know what sexibeach is talking about but ummm...(giggle) i hope she isnt using horse shampoo lol

i dont know about using tagley's horse MTG..but um...i wouldnt try that

BUT..i DO know of a HUMAN hair shampoo/conditioner system that kathy howse mentioned in her book Ultimate Hair Growth "Mane n' Tail" which is for humans and has been around for YEARS! LOL they sell this stuff at walgreens and its super cheap..my friend and i used this in middle school to care for our (Black) hair..and we always had healthy, clean heads full of hair
check it out

http://www.amazon.com/Mane-Tail-Shampoo-oz/dp/B000G68YGU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic