Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedlong to chin length?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
browneyedgirl83 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: long to chin length?
    Posted: July 21 2006 at 11:16pm
I have always had long hair, and everyone has always complimented my long hair.
I THINK I want to get it cut short, but I am afraid that if I do, and even if I like it, if I get alot of negative reactions I will start to feel bad about it.
More than that, I don't know how my boyfriend will react.
This is making it hard for me to get up the nerve to ... just do it!
Advice?

There are pics of me on my myspace page
www.myspace.com/samanthaljones

do you think I'd look good with a chin length or between shoulder and chin length bob?
If i do this I want to make sure to pick the right style so I KNOW it looks good, no matter what anyone says   

Edited by browneyedgirl83 - July 22 2006 at 1:37am

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 12:08am
I just went picture hunting.... maybe something like this?

or this?

This is me now...

(I decided to try to be more "user friendly" with the pictures (this is quite a feat for a very not computer savvy soul...)

i really need some encouragement, I am pretty sure I want to do this, it is just all the negative opinions/ attention PERIOD I am not looking forward to...

Edited by browneyedgirl83 - July 22 2006 at 1:14am
ssjockey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 10:14am
Encouragement:

You are very pretty and a shorter haircut like the pics you posted would look great.  If you keep the new look blunt, it should not be too hard to grow out if you don't like it.

Caution:

It is a big change.  You could cut first to your collar bone, then top of shoulders, then chin length.  You can always cut more, but after you cut it, that's it!

Good luck with your decision.
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 12:16pm
I think you need to approach this adventure with respect to your own wants and needs.  You're never going to be able to please everyone, especially here on this board.  You will receive various suggestions but when you get down to it, it's all up to you and only you.  I would talk about this with your boyfriend; start out with why you want to (would like a change, something easier to manage, etc.) and go from there.

You are a very good looking young lady and appear to have great hair and a face shape that would accept just about any length.  The second pic you posted, the blonde chin length bob, is one of my favorites and I think it would like great on you.
HAWG
Heratic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 2:33pm
I can see why people always compliment you on your long hair as its a classic look especially when the hair is in excellent condition as yours is, and no doubt many women envy your current look - and men admire it.

Trying to read between the lines it sounds like some people define you by your present hairstyle, which appears to be making you slightly uncomfortable.  As you've always had long hair people don't know you any differently.

Its your hair and first and foremeost it has to please you, which clearly it is no longer doing as it once did - hence the desire to make a significant change.

I would say cutting it to a classic blunt-cut chin length bob would be an excellent choice as it will retain the natural shine that your hair possesses but give you the desired change.

Most people will compliment you on the change - at worst it may un-nerve a few people and make them reappraise how they see you.  That is their "problem" not yours.

Go for it

Its your hair, your choice and your decision

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 3:08pm
Thanks,
I did discuss it with my boyfriend... and after a little pushing he admitted that he actually prefers shorter hair but didn't want to say anything because mine is long (surprising to me because HIS hair is past his shoulders).
However, I am waiting until after next weekend because I graduate college next weekend and have alot of family coming into town... it will be their first time seeing my apartment, meeting my college friends, and meeting my boyfriend of over a year (for some of them)... they dont' really need to meet my new hair as well (especially since every woman in my family has cautioned me not to cut my hair at some point... completely unsolicited opinion, at that...)
shorthairissexy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 3:50pm
With your face shape and chin shape - a chin length bob would look awesome on you.  The blonde pic would be perfect.
I bet you will start getting a lot of compliments on your cheekbones and eyes if you cut it - not just your hair (though I am sure you will get compliments on that still)
GC2599 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 5:37pm
I think you would look great in short hair. have u thought about getting it angled (shorter in the back longer in the front.) U look good blonde too. Good Luck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 6:54pm
Thanks for all the input... while I am not completely attached to my long hair... I am attached to my brunetteness.... I have gone darker, but never lighter... but who knows what the future holds... maybe I'll get bored with shorter hair and try lighter... or darker... or get my new bob angled....

I am starting to get excited!
DM61 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 7:00pm
That's great! Please post a couple of pictures of your new style, love to see how great you will look.

David

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 7:09pm
Will do... I am thinking it will be around the 1st... I am off of work and all the additional audience that will be here for graduation will be gone...
GC2599 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 8:35pm
How short would u get the back cut if you angled it?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2006 at 10:17pm
I don't know... I hadn't really thought about that particular style at all.
My style is usually pretty simple, so blunt cuts are what occurred to me first...
If any of you photoshop savvy folks want to photoshop my pic to give me ideas/suggestions....

PLEASE have at it!!
Not to mention I am excited... and it and don't want to wait... but I think it's less stressful to wait until the masses of family are gone...

but a pic would be fun...

if a straight on the face photo is easier... here is one... it's not great but... I don't keep alot of photos of myself! (Thats me worn out after a concert...)

Edited by browneyedgirl83 - July 22 2006 at 10:41pm
lovebobs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 2:14am
wow you should sooo do it!   my wife did 2 years ago and she now keeps it  she loves it and you have similar hair   i have a link to show you her cuts    you would look very nice in a bob thats angled shorter in back for sure   you have a great face and hair and well thats all ya need    good luck   GO FOR IT!
DO YOU LIKE THIS?
OR THIS?

Edited by lovebobs - July 23 2006 at 2:17am
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 2:20am
hmm... I like both of those... its subtle...

does it take alot of time to style? (I am a lazy wash and wear now.. some styling is ok... alot.. NOPE.)
anne6000 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 11:22am
I was so impressed with the quality of responses until I read this:

Originally posted by lovebobs lovebobs wrote:

wow you should sooo do it!

Unfortunately, no one can guarantee that you're going to look wonderful or that you'll love your new hairstyle or that everyone will shower you with compliments.  Of course, it's always nice to receive compliments, but the problem is that sometimes we allow them to override what we want to do.    However, based on your picture, if you choose a hairstyle that you really do like, I think chances are good that you will like it, especially if you go in with the right attitude about it.  As someone else said, you can't always please others, and if anyone does say anything negative about your haircut, that's their problem, not yours.  If anyone asks why you cut it, you could answer, "Because I wanted to.  Did you somehow arrogantly think I needed your permission to do it?"

My advice is to carefully choose the person who will cut it, if you decide to go for it.  Since this will be a fairly major haircut, you want someone who really has experience and will cut your hair to look its very best. 
GC2599 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 12:47pm
would u be willing to go clipper short in the back. i think a realy close nape would look great on you. i will try to find a good pic of one.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 9:29pm
I like lovebob's wife's hair... alot...
I don't know if my hair is as thick as hers, though... I think I might go for a really simple cut first... then if I like that start experimenting with angling, color, length and ect....
verybored View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by browneyedgirl83 browneyedgirl83 wrote:

If any of you photoshop savvy folks want to photoshop my pic to give me ideas/suggestions....
Try one of these rudimentary-but-free hair imaging sites...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2703404D
http://beauty.ivillage.com/makeovers/mom/0,,8q75,00.html
http://www.clairol.com/

Just take a 'neutral' photo of yourself with your hair tied back, and play around with the hairstyles. :)
trekgod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 6:01pm
Your long hair is very beautiful ... Danica Patrick like. Have you tried to vary it up a bit to keep things interesting such as new braids, buns, or things in your hair? If you are serious about short, why not try even a simple halloween wig to see how you look in a mirror. Even maybe long layers could be a first step before you do something like this. Also, be careful of opinions on this board for asking opinions here is like asking someone if they would like more money with no strings attached. Best of luck with your decision
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic