Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vitamins for hair growth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
heard1645 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heard1645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vitamins for hair growth
    Posted: August 21 2006 at 7:04pm
I just started taking vitamins for my hair. I've taken them in the past and they seem to give my hair a shiny soft texture and also seemed to help it to grow.  I'm trying to find a new vitamin for hair growth because the ones I take are so big.  Any suggestions.  Any suggestions on good hair vitamins?
Flower
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:49pm
gurl, im just gonna say this: from what i have read, heard, and done vitamins for hair are a joke. scientifically, it doesnt work and if u did notice a difference in yur hair after taking them, it was prolly due to what and how u were eating at the time, or the hair products u were using. a lot of ppl say diet effects hair growth, not a pill. from what i have read and understand the digestion of vitamins for yur hair is minimal to none because by the time it breaks down (especially the big ones), u get rid of it through natural waste as it filters through.

i have personally tried prenatal pills and a ultra nourish hair from gnc and all i can say is it is a waste of money.so my advice 2 u is, read this forum for real hair tips and forget buying so called "growth vitamins". hope this gave u a different view and helped

Edited by taggi - August 21 2006 at 10:50pm
Champagne_Wishe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Champagne_Wishe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 3:12pm
Ones that comes to mind:

Silica
Biotin
GNC Vitamin B complex
MSM
and EFA's you like.     
Claudie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2006 at 4:03am
I have seen positive results from incorporating vitamins daily.  Not only with my hair, but my overall health.  I take MSM, Skin-Hair-Nail vitamins, Flaxseed, Biotin, vitamin C and Fish Oil Concentrate, vitamin B5.  One would have to eat an abundance of food to gain the necessary daily requirement.  Especially now, most everything is fertilized. 

Edited by Claudie - August 23 2006 at 4:04am

love59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 6:15am
 Im currently taking Viviscal which I found by accident on the net. Its one of the only ones which has had 8 clinical trials done which were all successful. Also it was the only one which I found consistent independant good reviews. If you have hair problems like Alopecia or thinnning it takes longer to work but if you have a basically healthy scalp to start off with its supposed to work really quickly.

Heres a review from hair boutique : http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip102.htm

Edited by love59 - August 26 2006 at 6:15am
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 10:38am
if you eat a balanced diet you don't necessesarily need vitamins. my 2cents
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 10:56am
just take a small multivitamin i wouldnt do the hair vitamins i think eating a balanced diet is really key to all parts of human life. I take a mulitvitamin suits me fine hair is growing like a weed:)
Babycheeks
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 12:27pm
I only take a multivitamin...One a Day
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 1:38pm
i dont take store brand vitamins there filled with fillers i usually by a vegetarian based product from a herbal store.
Babycheeks
love59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 4:01pm
 I think if you have more serious problems with your hair or skin you need extra help. Ive been there before and having a balanced diet and taking a normal vitimin didnt work.

blackblondegrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackblondegrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2006 at 9:48pm
I make my own. I take a daily multi, biotin,msm,vit c, flaxseed oil, fish oil, b-complex cod liver oil. I plan to add a daily protien shake. Grow hair grow.
black butterfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black butterfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2006 at 5:33pm
I would recommend that you try Mikal Clay Products and the hair vitamin called Vitastrand.  This vitamin actually does work.  You would take two vitamins before you go to bed.  These vitamins are good for your hair, skin, and nails.  You definitely get all the nutrients that your hair, skin, and nails need that you may not be getting from what you eat.  There is nothing that you can put on your hair to make it grow.  Hair growth has to start from the inside and Vitastrand is a great start.  Mikal Clay has a whole line of products that consist of an excellent shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, moisturizer, and scalp stimulant.  He also has a protector shine spray that adds shine and also protects against heat and sun damage.  The vitamin definitely works.  I have been taking it for almost two years and my hair is longer and healthier.  The products can be found at www.mikalclay.com.  Just check it out.
Claudie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2006 at 1:02am
I checked out that website.  My vitamin from the Vitamin Shoppe has more ingredients, and more mg and it was only $8.00.  I certainly would not purchase his products, too many mineral oil and petrolatum for me.

Edited by Claudie - October 01 2006 at 1:02am

Tennsley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 1:56am

Daily I try to take:

• Hair, Skin, & Nails (twice)
  • Multi-Vitamin (twice)
  • Fish Oil (twice)
  • Calcium (once)
  • Vitamin C [Ester C] (twice, if not more)

Edited by Tennsley - October 08 2006 at 1:58am
Current Hair Length: Ear
Hair Goal Length: Chin/Neck (Mar. 2007)
Ultimate Desired Length: APL, BSL (May 2008)

My Fotki
BeautyWitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeautyWitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2006 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by taggi taggi wrote:

gurl, im just gonna say this: from what i have read, heard, and done vitamins for hair are a joke. scientifically, it doesnt work and if u did notice a difference in yur hair after taking them, it was prolly due to what and how u were eating at the time, or the hair products u were using. a lot of ppl say diet effects hair growth, not a pill. from what i have read and understand the digestion of vitamins for yur hair is minimal to none because by the time it breaks down (especially the big ones), u get rid of it through natural waste as it filters through.

i have personally tried prenatal pills and a ultra nourish hair from gnc and all i can say is it is a waste of money.so my advice 2 u is, read this forum for real hair tips and forget buying so called "growth vitamins". hope this gave u a different view and helped
Maybe your body wasn't absorbing the vitamins, try taking a digestive enzyme to break them down so your body can easily absorb them. Like everything else in/on your body , your hair need the proper vitamins and care to help it grow in a healthy state.

To the OP: Biotin are very small and one of the best vitamins for hair growth. Also there is liquid vitamins available with is considered to be better because it is already broken down. MSM is very good also, is softens the new growth and also lengthen the life span of your hair. it is available in powdered as well a capsules form.
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2006 at 10:36pm
Vitamins and minerals supplements are just that- they should supplement your (healthy ) diet. Realistically speaking though, the changes that ensue after you've added the vitamins to your diet most likely won't show up in your hair shaft until weeks (or months depending on how they're metabolized) after you've started. But I do find vitamins, minerals, amino acid, etc. extremely effective otherwise. (My dad's into nutrition & homeopathy.)

I take Lysine for cold sores/fever blisters: within two days helped get rid of them.

I had twitching nerves and extremely constricted, tense jaw muscles: Magnesium helped relax them and lactic acid didn't seem to build up as quickly. It helped during my period, too. But too much will relax your large intestine- if you know what I mean and it competes with other minerals for synthesis.

I had sinus infections and clicking knees: MSM helped dry up some of the mucous production and my knees didn't click as much. Over a period of months, I do see the effects of MSM in my skin and hair clearly. Didn't notice any side effects.

Evening primrose oil, I just wanted to try: I saw very little softening in my hair or skin but it helped me with digesting fats although I don't really store much. I think it raises seratonin levels because I felt very content and euphoric-even during my period, and because it also carries out some sort of hormone-like behavior, it firmed my breasts. If this sounds scary, I would suggest consulting a nutritionist, but I found that there were no side effects.

Biotin: I hated it- I broke out so quickly that I couldn't stick to it and I was drinking a lot of water. I think that 1000mcg was too much for me at one time. If instead I took half a pill in the morning, with the same water intake, the other half at night, maybe.... but it's just too much deliberation.

Horsetail (silica): I'm sure some people have no problem but I took this with trepidation. First, I was mad I even purchased it cause I found out that some species of bamboo had a higher silica content.  I'm sure that horsetail only contains trace amounts, but I didn't want to test introducing nicotine into my system. It seems ignorant, I guess, but I just didnt want to flirt with the idea of addiction. It is also a diuretic, which I found to be true. Doctors advise against use if there are previous kidney or liver problems, and prolonged use is not a good idea. On the flipside, side effect claims are not always accurate, but I really didn't care for it. I'd rather just using straight up silicon dioxide itself for enhanced collagen production.

I know this was loooooong, but I would def like to hear other people's experiences with similar vit, mins, etc.
I'm in!
kenyadh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenyadh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 9:02pm
I've been taking the following vitamin for my hair skin and nails for the last two years along with other vitamins

taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 1:45pm
i think it is amazing how so many of u are taking so many vitamins on a daily basis. and why? for this one thing that has become way overrated in the black community: having "good hair". i mean c'mon, fish oil? flaxseed? what are we animals!?! if u think about it, i dont know if there is any other race in the world that does anything more than wash and condition their hair and look at the results.

does it occur to any1 that compared to others, black woman have the most problems with hair? maybe it is because we are jumping on these vitamin bandwagons just like the coprporations want us to do. i have tried vitamins like is posted before, and when i stopped doing anything besides wash and condition, my hair blasted into growth. it grows healthy and just by using the basics. i truly think that those of u that are going thru a vitamin regimen daily have to take a deeper look at why u are so obsessed with "good hair" to the point of pumping yur body full of those things.

u know who else takes multiple vitamins daily? ppl who are very ill. unless u are severely ill and have to take several suppliments a day, i really dont think it is wise to keep this behavior going. has any1 consulted a physician on the effects of doing these vitamin regimens over a period of time?

i hate to say this,but i honestly believe that this mentality of having "good hair" is due to an inner battle that we as black ppl have. we even discriminate against each other for the way our hair looks, maybe that is why so many of us are spending hundreds of dollars on things that deceive us into believing that they work.

didnt mean for this 2 be so long,BUT, i can almost relate this hair issue to color. if yur 2 dark, yur ugly, if yur hair aint long yur ugly. why do we put each other down like this? embrace yur race ppl!! embrace yur natural hair and be happy with the way God wanted u 2 be.Approve
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 8:55pm
taggi- you got some stuff off your chest! Cool

I think vitamins do help us to balance our nutrient intake. I know one think i had to start doing was reading the labels for content and fillers. Again it is finding what works. Bodies change and needs change so supplementation can be a plus. we just need not go too far and end up harming our bodies with excess.
i for one have always taken fish oils, and i find that the skin and hair benefits from it. Certain herbs are also great for the body but again you need to educate yourself so that you keep balance.
i do believe that the earth and the plants and animals in it are good for food. We just need to learn how to use them wisely.
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
hairheaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairheaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 11:12pm
I take prenatal vitamins and it works better than any expensive hair vitamin I have ever bought.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic