Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Need A New Shampoo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sonygirl256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonygirl256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Need A New Shampoo
    Posted: November 06 2006 at 10:14am

Hey..I really need help with shampoo's and conditioner.

I have long hair but I'm trying to grow it out longer, my hair becomes so nasty dry and dead at the end, that everytime I go to the hairdresser she says she has to cut off inches of my hair because it is so dead. This happens because I can't find any shampoo that makes me hair feel "normal" and soft. I've gotten to the point where I don't use conditioner. I use a Pantene Pro-V 3-minute leave in conditioner - once a month, and that seems to hydrate/condition my hair for a while but it conditions it without leaving it too oily or too dry.
I just live with it being super dry and brittle and breaking everywhere.
I swear I've gone through every brand of shampoo and condtitioner at the store.

Since I was little my hair has always been thick and it's so thick that it never curled or straightened or did anything for that matter. Also when I was a child I always had to rinse my thick hair with vinegar and/or lemon juice.

I've always had a hard time finding shampoos..I don't think I've ever settled on just one.
I've now grown sick of wasting my money on shampoos and conditioners that don't do anything for my hair.
They either dry it out or make it too oily...there is no in between. I don't use alot of conditioner either. I've experimented and used alot and a little, and I can't get the results I want.
I battle with my hair so much to get it to do anything.

Natural shampoos have always been the best because there are no chemicals but I don't care for the smells of most of these and they are expensive. 

Can anyone help me or give me some new ideas to try?
Thanks for reading! And sorry its so long!
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2006 at 1:32pm
Hi thereWavingWelcome to the board.

It would be good to know a bit about your hair care routine - for example, do you blow dry or straight iron? How often do you shampoo?

As for a good shampoo, you may want to actually consider doing CO (conditioner only) washes or WO (water only washes). Many use these wash routines to help hair get and stay healthy. Do a search on this board to find great threads about each topic. If you really want to shampoo, try a very gentle shampoo (one with no SLS, possibly no cones) and then dilute it before using it. I use Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Shampoo. You may also want to consider washing your hair only once or twice a week to cut down on damage while it's getting healthier. Also, PurpleBubba recently posted a thread about some nasty ingredients in some products (including Pantene).

Something is drying and breaking your hair. This board is a great place to find out better hair care techniques. Usual culprits for damaged hair include heat styling, damaging hair toys, bad products, bad hair care habits (tugging on hair when grooming, ripping through knots, not protecting hair from the elements, etc). You may also consider improving diet/exercise for these things greatly affect hair health and growth.

Since you're new, you might want to look at some past posts to get a general sense of the types of things you need to do for healthier hair.

Hope that helps! Smile

Edited by SpecialKitty - November 06 2006 at 1:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic