Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The worst hair ever.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fimbulwinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fimbulwinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The worst hair ever.
    Posted: December 15 2006 at 4:09pm
My hair is extremely poofy, rough, and dry. It is a very tangled, very pyramid-shaped mess. It take EXTREME effort and patience to get a brush, or even my fingers, through the hair.

I've tried all manner of cremes, shampoos, conditioners, etc. to no avail.

Flat ironing helps alot, but after an hour or two the hair is the same way as before I ironed it.

My dream hairstyle is something like this:

I would greatly, greatly appreciate any kind soul who can offer me help or advice. Hug
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2006 at 6:54pm

It seems that the majority of girls want hair like that, probably because most of the celebrities are wearing it these days.  There comes a point when we must accept that most of us will never look like a supermodel or movie star.  We're all made differently and should stop trying to look the same.  The world would be boring if we were all exactly the same.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Embarrassed

My first suggestion is to visit www.naturallycurly.com and read up on how to care for and love curly hair.  They even give a list of professional stylists that specialize in curly hair.  (I don't know if you might live near one... that would be great if you did.) 

Curly hair is dry by nature, even when it's healthy.  It needs less washing and lots of conditioner, hot oil treatments and other deep conditioning, and lots of plain old water!  Flat ironing only makes the dryness worse.  By the way, I know how you feel on that part.  My hair does not hold heat styling at all.

If you have any questions about specifics, let me know!

Edited by hairbraider - December 15 2006 at 7:03pm
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2006 at 12:05pm
i have curly hair and can understand how you feel, but how curly it sounds isnt going to give you that britney spears look she has straight hair that she curling irons.  I suggest you just try to work with your curly hair maybe get a new cut and ask the stylist what you can do to achieve the look and make healthier hair. I have found for my dry brittle hair if i add a little jojoba oil to my conditioner it helps a lot, i have to shampoo less since it is dry and use leave in treatments. I try to use all organic shampoos and conditioners such as Giovanni, Natures Gate, Kiss my face etc.. i have found it really helps with the dryness and puffyness. I like to use deva curl products to control the frizz. good Luck!
Babycheeks
fimbulwinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fimbulwinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2006 at 1:05pm
Thanks alot for the information guys!

I've thought about getting it chemically straightened, but I was worried about the damage factor. Is that kind of thing really as dangerous for the hair as some people say?
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2006 at 2:36pm
yes it is dries hair out a lot!! Then you will need some seroius hair treatments and a serious cut to get it back to health so dont do it. Like i said just work on cureing the dryness maybe cut your ends and use lots of good conditioner and jojoba oil and you should be okay.
Babycheeks
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 12:06pm

Yes, it is damaging.  I tried it once and my hair broke off alot.  Besides, it didn't work.  The curls were a bit looser, but definitely not straight!  In my experience, the more I moisturized and conditioned to get it into better health, the less frizz I had.

sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
baby*flower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 3:47pm
i know how you feel about your hair, my hair used to be very curly dry and stubborn, now my hair is long, easily flat ironed, thick, soft and fine not coarse. You have to really learn to care for your hair first before you even consider chemically straightening it. First off make you that you build up the natural oils in your hair, many people make the mistake of washing their hair every other day when they have dry hair to begin with, i myself wash my hair every week- a week and a half, because the natural oils in your hair condition your hair and make it healthier, when your hair starts to look really greasy is when you should consider giving it a good wash. But make sure that you only shampoo your scalp and never use too much shampoo, you  should use a good conditioner as well. Heat styling your hair is ok but make sure you only do that in moderation, I personally have wavy/curly hair which I flat iron only once a week, so i rarely ever keep it curly, which goes perfectly with my lifestyle. Since you have curly hair its nice to keep it longer than short because curly hair may become more curly when kept short it also depends on how you get it cut as well. As far as chemically straightening it, ive done that once to my hair, although it loosened the curl it made my hair weak, dry and they easily broke off. so you should avoid this, but if you learn to take care of it properly then you may consider something like this because it isnt entirely bad for your hair, after I got my hair chemically straightened i started growing my hair out to undo the damage now since my hair is longer it has a looser curl similar to what it had when my hair was shorter and chemically straightened so you may want to consider growing your hair out it helps alot. Another thing is to build up the natural oils in your hair make sure to massage your scalp every day or every other day it will really help if you have dry hair. If you have any questions you can always pm me:).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic