Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

curling iron advice - pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
baby*flower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: curling iron advice - pictures
    Posted: December 31 2006 at 3:30pm
i havent posted here in ages, but anyway lately ive been thinking of buying a curling iron since i finally grew my hair almost down to my tailbone i want to create very soft curls at the bottom of my hair similar to how jessica simpson or lindsay lohan do their hair, what size barrel should i go with? when i went to the hair salon the lady said a 2 inch barrel wouldnt hold a curl in my hair but i want medium to large soft curls, not small ringlets, here are some pics of what i want, and also can these styles be achieve with curlers instead of a curling iron? if so what size, thanks in advance.

Edited by baby*flower - December 31 2006 at 3:32pm
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 4:28pm
It depends on how straight your hair is and how well it holds curl.  The hair in those pics is also layered so if yours isn't, it will look a little different but still beautiful. 

My sister's hair is straight as a board.  I like using sponge rollers on her hair.  (it doesn't hold heat curling much at all unless I use a ton of hairspray)  I put them in while her hair is damp and she sleeps on them and I take them out the next morning.  The curl lasts all day.  

I think if you want to try large rollers it would work great!  Use a roller that's a little smaller than you want your curl to be.

wish i could help you more! Ermm
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 4:29pm
Yes, you can achieve the style with rollers. It will actually be easier to do than with a curling iron. Large curls are tricky to achieve with one. You can either use hot rollers or velcro rollers and just apply some heat with your blow dryer. The rollers would have to be large because your hair is so long. Or medium and just roll them up half way up, since what you want is curls at the ends anyway. Apply a heat protectant first like Redken heat glide. Just a tiny bit on the ends. Make sure you really rub it between your hands before applying. It will protect your ends and add tons of shine. Before taking out the rollers lightly spray hair with a light hold hair spray (hold the bottle several inches away and just mist the hair with it. Let it set. Then remove the rollers and do not brush. Finger style and shape the curls with your hands. Lightly spray again if necessary. You can get the velcro rollers at Target. They have a pack that contains about 3 different sizes for $7.99. It will take some practice to achieve perfection but it will happen.

Good luck and great hair.
Shary

Edited by Sharyg11 - December 31 2006 at 4:30pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 6:33pm
wow, thanks for the fast replies i had no idea how active the forums were i guess they were different when i first joined,
well my hair is wavy/curly/frizzy its not straight so wouldnt the results come out weird if i just rolled the rollers on the ends? my roots would still be kinda wavy, do you think its best for my to flat iron my hair and then curl it at the ends? that would be like double damading to my hair, hmm any more suggestions?
also would the curls work out fine if i blowdryed my hair straight then use the rollers at the ends, then i went over my roots with a flat iron just to touch it up? or does my hair have to be damp in order for the rollers to actually work? thanks:)

Edited by baby*flower - December 31 2006 at 6:34pm
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 9:40pm
OK, that does make a difference.
Well, if you flat iron first it will be next to imposible to get your hair to hold a curl.
Now, your second idea, will probably work. But what you have to do, is use a round brush to blow dry your hair, like they do at the salon. Then you can do the rollers. And no, you do not want your hair to be damp. you want it to be dry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 12:11am
Thanks a bunch im definatly going to be trying that out, but as far as an actual curler goes do you think i should go with a 2 inch or 1 1/2 for the type of style i want?
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 2:23pm
Probably the 1 1/2". I find 2" is very hard to get any curl with. Make sure to get a ceramic one, to protect your hair.

Good luck and beautiful hair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 10:36pm
thanks i was thinking that one too, since the lady told me it wouldnt hold much curl, and i only use products that are ceramic anyway, do you know any professional curlers that work well? if so can u suggest some good durable brands, thanks again!
tommygrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommygrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 1:39am
BABYLISS CURLERS WORK REAL WELL
maui_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maui_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 4:34am
Hello,

I dont agree with Sharyg11 I actually flat iron and then curl with curlers all the time. I find that if I dont flat iron first my hair looks a mess while i want waves to be neat. My flat ironed hair holds the curl just fine w/ or w/o hair spray. Though I most always use hair spray w/ curlers.
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 7:36pm
use a round brush also when you blow dry and roll it down with the blow dry creating volume and straightning of the roots and hair. Then use the rollers spray a little root lifter the idea in the pic is big curls with lots of volume.
Babycheeks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic