Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

STRINGY DISASTER!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
StringyMimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StringyMimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STRINGY DISASTER!
    Posted: January 31 2007 at 6:12pm

I don't know where to go for help!  But I need some.  Please, somebody - ANYBODY - don't ignore me!  It's so important! 

Okay.  Seriously, my hair is crap.  It's that kind of hair, you know, not really straight but definitely not curly - just a weird bubbly wave thing going on.  So I used to flat iron it in high school and that kinda killed it.  And I had micro braids a few times, just trying to be cute, and that ripped a lot of it out - I also had a spiral perm twice but the perm falls flat after, like, two or three months!  My hair is falling out at a rate much faster than it's growing back, you guys.  I can't afford to lose any more of these ugly strings!

What's a stringy headed girl to do?!

My dream is to have really curly, really thick, almost African-American like hair.  I just think it's beautiful to have a head of tight, beautiful and thick curls like some ethnic style hair. 

Isn't there ANYTHING - AAAAAAAAAAAANNNYYYYYYYYTHIIIIIIIIIING in the world that I could possibly do?!  I would seriously try anything.
I looked at polywax extentions - that could be a possibility but damn it's so expensive.  Plus I don't know if I believe that it's undetectable.  I want my own kinky, curly hair and I'd pay pretty much any price regardless.

I looked at hair transplant surgery but my hair is thinning - redistributing the same crap all around my head will do nothing.  You can't even see a bald spot on me - each individual hair itself is just too thin you can almost see straight through it!  Anyway, the only way that would make sense for me is if they brought in someone with some really nappy hair and transplanted it from them to me. 

If there is anyone out there with some kind of idea to help me, I'm open to anything!  You girls probably have beautiful hair and know how to take care of it.  I'm such an ameteur, help!  I'm destroying my head!
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 6:14pm
I think your hair needs time to recover actually, it sounds like it is very damaged.  I'd be afraid to do anything more to it.  Fine hair just can't take the sort of punishment that other hair types can tolerate.  You'll need to treat it very gently for it to recover, perhaps take advice from a professional as well.  Good luck. Smile
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 11:21am
You may need to be more realistic about what your hair will and will not do.  If it isn't super curly it will be very hard to maintain that type of style.  It is expensive and very damaging to use perms or extensions.  Since hair grows all the time anything you do will grow out and change and if you fight its natural tendencies too much you end up with a big huge mess.  Take it from me--I tried everything and nothing worked.  Once I stopped fighting my fine, thin hair I was a lot happier.  Try consulting a good stylist about your current and future options.  I think Seraphina is right, you may need to let your hair rest

Edited by demodoll - April 05 2007 at 11:23am
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
StringyMimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StringyMimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 4:40pm
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.  I'm sure that you both are right.  My dad's girlfriend is in cosmotology school right now and she was basically telling me that there was nothing I can do really, that we all kinda just gotta deal with the hair we're born with.  She also recomended deep conditioning to help my hair rest and grow stronger again, but after that, I have to find a new style.  =(  I'm not styling it for now, or using irons or blowdryers or anything and it has really helped a lot.  I still shed, but probably a normal amount of hair.  It's not really growing any thicker, but I need another deep conditioning.  I'm so temped to go back and get another perm, but I know it will be a disaster in the long run.  So, after a couple months roll by, I'll be ready to see a real stylist about my future thin hair options.

Thanks ladies!  Your help means a lot to me, even if it is just an internet forum - no one else took the time to even try to give me a realistic approach to my hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic