Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Extension Thinning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
krisland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Extension Thinning
    Posted: June 02 2007 at 1:33pm
I am fairly new to hair extensions - have had them in for two months, and just had them tightened. The thing that concerns me is the fact that I have always had a decent amount of hair, and had the extensions put in for length. I had 18 inches wefts, Remy hair, cornrowed into my hair using the metal tube process. I have to say that I have really love the extentions, and have taken really good care of them. The extensions still looked great when I had them taken out yesterday, no real damage, no tangling, etc., but my own hair seems to be noticeably thinner.  I am really concerned about this and wonder what my own hair will look like when I decide to have the extensions removed once and for all? I would like to keep the extensions in through the summer, but this is now making me a nervous wreck...thoughts?
Kris Carr Land
BunnyWabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnyWabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2007 at 5:31pm
If there is no damage to your hair then what you're feeling is probably a bit of an illusion. Your hair felt thicker while the extensions were in most likily, so when they were taken out it probably felt some what thin. Unless its signifcant to the point where friends and family are noticing and pointing it out to you, I wouldn't worry. Its unlikily if your extensions were done well and maintained well that they would cause significant damage. Just remember that a tight cornrow track does not mean it is more secure, if it is uncomfortably tight, than that can cause pulling on your hair. Its something to be careful of - they should feel secure and firm, but not tight and uncomfortable.

hope this helps, best of luck
krisland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2007 at 11:43pm
Thanks. My beautician said the same thing, basically that I probably do not remember how thick my hair was to begin with. I do think that the cornrow track was really tight last night, but feels considerably better today. She has been doing extensions for 20 years and have quite the clientele and seems to do a great job. My hair did not show signs of damage. I am going to try and go three months before having them tightened again or removed, September time frame.
Kris Carr Land
tessa111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 12:00am
Krisland,  Were your wefts sewn in?  How many tracks did you have and what length?  I am having three tracks custom made for me and installed with the braiding track method this week and I am really excited, but concerned that I am making the right choice.  My hair is fine, but lots of it and shoulder length and just won't grow beyond my shoulders and look nice.  Do I expect to be a little uncomfortable at first and have you been able to maintain an active lifestyle?  I do pretty heavy cardio 4 days a week and ride my show horse 5 days a week.  I am having virgin Russian hair made and from what I hear that stays looking the nicests and less tangles.  Thanks!!
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 1:37am
it is so normal to feel like that, after they come out, we feel our hair is thinner, prob cause we get used to the thick feelings, sounds like u have a good stylists. how are they braided in with the metal tubes?
Bringing beauty, one head at a time...
krisland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 8:13am
Yes, my wefts are sewn or cornrowed in. I have three rows, 18 inch hair. I had Remy hair put it and I have to say it is a perfect color match. I have had countless people tell me they would never have known I had extensions in had I not told them (it is also quite a surprise to people when your hair is considerably longer). My hair was also shoulder length, and not what I consider to be really thin, but was somewhat fine. The one piece of advice I can give to you is to braid them every single night. This sounds like a pain but they can and will tangle very easily. I use really good hydrating Biolage shampoo and conditioner which seems to help a lot. I also use a leave in light spray conditioner called Moisture Wick - wonderful product, and as previously stated the extensions have held up really well, and still look great going on three months. You have to comb through them at least 3-4 times a day to keep them tangle free. My stylist has a client that is really lazy about this and her's start to look like dreadlocks..not a look I am going for. The hair is heavy and like you I work out 3-4 times a week and can really feel a difference - much warmer. Once again braid or pull it back before working out. Good luck!!
Kris Carr Land
tessa111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 10:13am
Thanks so much!!  I am really excited about getting them, this forum has been so helpful and a wealth of info.  I will let you know how it goes!  Do you think you will continue to wear extensions or take them out after this install?  If you take them out what do you think will be the deciding factor?  Thanks!
krisland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 10:48am
The extensions are a little itchy, and are really painful to sleep on for the first 1-3 nights after you have them put in or tightened (about two hours to even have them tightened). My girlfriend had the single strand type put in and took them out after two weeks because she could not stand not being able to rub her scalp, some of them also started to fall out which I think is nuts! I had them tightened at the two month mark as my hair had grown about an inch. I think I will wait for three months before having them tightened again or simply taken out. The expense is a little extreme to even have them tightened, and I need to decide if I am willing to keep this up financially. They are really cute, and I think they make me look considerably younger. I had really long hair in high school, and it has been fun to have it again. Keep me posted.
Kris Carr Land
tessa111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 12:36am
I go tomorrow for my install and blended hair cut - I will let you all know how it goes - I hope I love them!!
tessa111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 11:47pm
Well, goth the three tracks in and I love them, we'll see how it is to sleep tonight, but will definately gently braid them.. Thanks for all your help!!
krisland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 9:59am
I am glad you are thrilled, they are really a lot of fun. Keep me posted.
Kris Carr Land
tessa111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 10:12am
Sleeping was fine, and I woke up and my hair looked ready to go!!  I am not used to this, usually I have to wash every day to make it look descent!  I hope I can maintain them and remain pleased!!
krisland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 7:15pm
I am glad you are happy with them. I do agree that you can basically wake up and you are ready to go. Mine stay curled really well which is not the norm for me either. Happy hair days!!
Kris Carr Land
tessa111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 11:21pm
Thanks Krisland!!  Day two and really loving them!!  If I can go 3-4 days without washing and blow drying my hair I would think that that would be a great break for my own hair and not stress the extensions too much!!  I have been riding my horse with no problem.  I was concerned that they would feel heavy or uncomfortable - not at all!!  Love them, I may have a fourth track sewn in to blend my own bottom layer better and get just that much more healthy thickness.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic