Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do Women *Ever* Look "Bad" with Long Locks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Women *Ever* Look "Bad" with Long Locks?
    Posted: June 27 2007 at 4:10pm
      Now, I'm only asking about those who are *not* afflicted with genetically poor hair. But lately, I've talked to a few ladies with great heads of hair who insisted that length simply looks "bad" on them. (Hair conversations often ensue when people see a pic of my wife. lol) One woman actually told me that her DH would think he died and went to heaven if she had long hair, BUT she had tried growing for her son's wedding, and it just looked "bad". I told her that her present cut looked "nice" but I didn't believe her! (lol)
     Where are these women whose appearance is diminished with groomed tresses? I don't seem to notice any, aside from a few gals who fell victim to sloppy cuts? Even in these cases, a simple trim, or patience to allow badly cut layers to blend is all that is needed.  That's what my eyes tell me, anyway! Blessings, Bob Big%20smile

tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 9:37am
I'm with you Bob ... when you find a woman who looks bad with long locks and would look better with it short, let me know.  Maybe it's a guy thing ... I don't know, but I don't see it.  It could be tunnel vision on my part, but when I look at makeovers and they say the woman looks better with her hair short, I struggle to see what they see.  I always think the long-haired version was better (after looking past those often-horrible "before" pictures).  Ladies help us out here.  Can you show us a woman who seriously looks better with short hair?  There's just no sex-appeal there ... sure they may be cute, but that just doesn't do it for me.  I like to see those hair flips, looks from eyes from behind wisps of hair and other things that you only see on a woman with long locks.  Maybe it's the way we're wired, Bob.

Edited by tdouty - June 28 2007 at 9:42am
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 10:59am
i often hear such comments only to be rebuffed by people with short hair sayin that it is not how it seems. practically all of my friends with short hair are trying to grow their hair and those with long hair are going to cut it.... as the sayin goes "what one wants....."
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 12:52pm
the only way I can see long hair looking bad to me, would be if the hair has not been taken care of. I have seen hair in the past that has been relatively long, and looks horrible to me, only because it is damaged, and is screaming for some TLC. I remember one incident about , wow, at least 10 years ago, wear the gal had waist length hair that was a dry, frizzy mess full of damaged, split ends. To me, this looked worse than having it cut in a shorter style. 
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 5:14pm
I think sometimes it depends on how the long hair is worn and how that looks in relation to the shape of the face.

Personally, I feel more attractive when my hair is partially pulled back from the front and held with little clip with the back part hanging free (the princess style).  However, in the summer with temps in the 90's and humidity around 65%, that's a little warm for me so I usually put my hair in a scrunchy bun.  I don't feel as attractive without some hair hanging down to frame my face, however comfort comes before fashion in my world.

Perhaps these ladies who think they don't look good with long hair have not found a style that they find attractive.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 3:30pm
     Absolutely, I agree with you, Grace! I think that most women look super with hair pulled staight back. But there are some, including my wife, who are not flattered by this. She looks much better with a middle part. Others look their best with a side part, and some with front fringe. But it's exasperating (lol!) to hear a woman whom you *know* could have lovely long locks, and who really wants them, say that they must "accept reality". In most cases, these ladies simply lacked the patience to get through middling grow-out stages, or allowed negative comments to drive them back to a stylist happy to bring them back to square one. Cordially, Bob Confused
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 5:50pm
If my memory serves me correctly, the only women I've ever seen look bad with long hair are those whose hair is poorly styled/cared for.  Sometimes it does drag down their features or make them look plain.  (but my gut feeling tells me these same women would still poorly style and care for their hair even if it was short)

Like Grace, I believe it's all in the way you wear it.  I'm also one of those who looks better with some hair around my face, though I don't always wear it that way.  I think some women have the idea that having long hair means "all-one-length" and it's too limiting to them. 
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 6:01pm
Bob was genetically born with an appreciation ONLY for the longest of long hair.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by fatmoogas fatmoogas wrote:

Bob was genetically born with an appreciation ONLY for the longest of long hair.

Misrepresentation, maybe?  I know you keep up with the Celebrities Forum and I've seen Bob more than once state that he can and does appreciate some short haircuts.

To the original question, I'd agree, along with the caveat provided (first) by Alisa.  I sense that sometimes women get bored with their hair and don't often think "new style (with current length)" before they think "haircut."  Why that that seems to be so, I don't understand.  Reluctant to really try to experiment with new styles to wear?  There seem to be so many choices.
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 7:17pm
People are very into the trend and just cut it attitude. Instead of growing it long and finding ways to work with long hair. Long hair is just as attractive it depends on how you care for it and wear it. I dont see it looking ugly though what if man never made scissors then what would we think. Back in the day long was the only way or no way.
Babycheeks
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2007 at 9:39pm
I am sure man was always able to cut hair with chiseled rocks and other sharp implements.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 9:23pm
Very good point, babycheeks!  My hair is essentially uncut, and it's not so bad.  Combs and current-day haircare products help make it pleasant to have. [that sounded clinical LOL ]
stormy_seas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormy_seas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 9:27pm
^ whut he said

Edited by stormy_seas - July 24 2007 at 9:46pm
www.datpiff.com
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by stormy_seas stormy_seas wrote:

now when you say locs, you mean dread loks? cause that be lookin nasty on a female sometimes

as fa normal hair, that long hair is whut reminds me shes a female
especially is she got them a cups nah mean?

stormy_seas,

That was quite rude, all around.  As a moderator of this forum, if you wish to participate here, I will simply ask you to be much more thoughtful in your responses.

Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 3:25pm
     Thanks for the clarification, Dave. The truth is that *no one* my age had anything approaching "long" hair until I was in latter grade school. So, I was a short hair lover first! (lol) Yeah, I always loved girls' locks. The chin length bob was probably my favorite style way back when, and I still appreciate well-cut, swingy bobs on many women. If a woman won't wear it long, this look will do. Plus, a bob can serve as a nice launching pad, just in case! Wink Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic