Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

50-year-olds with long hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50-year-olds with long hair?
    Posted: June 28 2007 at 12:32pm
Hi all,

Are any of you long hairs, or your friends/relatives with long hair, 50 years old or more?

The reason I ask is that I'm 47 1/2 and to reach my goal of bra strap length, with regular trims (which my hair needs), I'll be 50 or close to it.

So I'm really looking for support from someone's who's there, been there, or knows someone who's there now.

Thanks!
Katherine
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 6:16pm

Welcome Katherine!

There's a great thread on here called Long Hair After 40. I've had long hair at different times of my life. The past ten years or so I've kept it around shoulder length, always wanting it longer but not having the patience to let it grow. Last year, I found this wonderful site and it has gotten me through all my phases where I wanted to give up. My hair is now bra strap length and I love it. I'm 45 and intend to keep it long until I get tired of it.

I always had that gnawing phrase floating in my head that women over 40 shouldn't have long hair. But after reading the posts here and all the encouragement, I'm not buying in to that anymore. Who makes these silly rules anyway???

Good luck in your endeavor. I know you'll find lots of support here!
chitraa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chitraa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 12:48pm
hav seen some women who would have been 45+ & having longhair-waist to calf length.
depends if hair is healthy & thick -may be it can be worn long
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 3:18pm
     Katherine, I have only one word for those women beyond 50 (or even 40) who have the *audacity* to wear long hair. Elegance! When I was in my 30's I tended to notice only those long-haired "older" ladies whose hair was straggly and matted--- you know, the ones who confirm the old pro-chopping bromides. Now that *I* am becoming longer in the tooth myself (lol), it is so obvious that the older gals who stun you and weaken your knees are almost always those with long, groomed locks. IMO, tresses do *more* for women over 40 than they do for those who are younger. It's exactly the opposite of what women are told by the beauty industry, and plenty of my guy pals are on the same wavelength here. Big%20smile Bob
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 5:18pm
Katherine, my mom is turning 50 this year and she has no intention of ever cutting her hair off.  Do whatever makes you happy with yourself!

Oh, and nice choice of words, Bob LOL
"plenty of my guy pals are on the same wavelength here"
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 10:34pm
Thank you all very much for your encouragement!
JB521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2007 at 9:10am

Hi Katherine and everyone...

Long hair at 30  40  50  is all up to the person wearing it as far as I'm concerned. You can always cut it off once it's long if you decide you don't like the "look" on you.

I am 40 and have not had long hair since I was 13. I'm in the midst of growing my hair long (shoulder at least) and will judge from there what I want to do. I will say, however, that me wearing short hair was my choice and no one elses.....as is my decision to grow it out.

"Sexy" is a becoming hairstyle and healthy hair on an individual......whether shorter or longer (IMO). I say go for it and judge your look once you get there.......it takes a huge commitment to grow it, and a "minute" to chop it!Approve

Edited by JB521 - June 30 2007 at 9:12am
Shanarana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanarana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 7:25am
I'm 43 and will be 44 soon...have been growing my hair out for the last four years and would never cut it now...I get more compliments now than I ever have with my hair any other length.  If someones hair looks great no matter how old they are than I say more power to them.  Granted, as we age our hair needs more special care, but it can be mantained and the results are worth it.

YOU GO GIRL!!!
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 1:44pm
I knew a lady, not sure exactly how old she was (50, 60?) She had long healthy hair almost to her hips that she let remain grey. I thought she looked so beautiful and wise and elegant.
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 5:05pm

that myth that people should chop their hair at the soonest sign of aging is sooooo annoying!!!!!!! i full-heartedly agree with Sarsvati, IMHO older women with long salt n pepper hair take my breath away, i think that is the most elegant astonishing sight that one can be granted when hair is concerend. So don't let that irritating myth bother you, when the day ends and you lie in bed to sleep it is YOUR HAIR not the "fashion industry's", not your hair stylist, not anyone elses except yours

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 9:49am
Longer hair is stylish for the over 50 crowd now, I see more and more women with shoulder length or longer gray hair than I ever have in my life.  Not that being stylish should be a good reason to have long hair, fad or no fad, I have always though older ladies with longer hair looked neat.

When I was in elementary school I had both a kindergarten teacher and a principal with classic length hair.  They usually wore it up in elegant updos, but I loved it when they wore it down, it looked really cool.  My like of long hair may have been formed back then.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 9:30pm
I expect that when I turn 50 that I will have long hair. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic