Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

conditioner.... friend or foe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: conditioner.... friend or foe?
    Posted: June 29 2007 at 8:00pm
hey well i take good care of my hair by moisturizing it with conditoner every day and treating the ends but i still have about 2 in of split ends. my mom wants me to get a trim but that would bring me back to square 1 bc my stylist is quite scissor happy do you think the whole conditioner every day could be killing it? i can't seem to stlye my hair without it being wet tho.........
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2007 at 1:16am
I'm in the same boat, SC.  I condition almost every day, and I put water on my hair every day whether under the faucet or with a spray bottle.  I do have lots of splits, but it's a WHOLE LOT less than it was before I conditioned so much.  (there for a few years I didn't even use conditioner at all)  That's why I do microtrims - to keep the splits at bay. 

One thing to consider..... does it have -cones?  If it does, it could be "killing" it by sealing out moisture.

I say get a new stylist who's not so scissor-happy!
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2007 at 10:06pm
yea same here i don use silicones and my hair is so much softer but i'm gonna try just doin it every other day to wean my hair of it... i jus can't style my hair dry tho if i wan to wear it down.....
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 7:10am
I think conditioner is your friend.  My hair gets way too damaged without it, and damage is certainly your enemy.  If you don't use cones, your conditioner is probably a pretty good one, without too many bad chemicals in it. 

What else do you treat the ends with?  I ask because if you aren't using a coney leave-in, and using oil instead, it might be why you don't like your ends.  Even though jojoba is excellent, sometimes it can trick you into thinking your ends are more dried out and crunchy than they are.  (That is why I stopped using jojoba straight and started mixing it with butters, they leave my hair feeling softer). 

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 12:30pm
i use carrot-tea tree oil mixed with tressemme gell. i'm gettin a trim wit my sis 2day tho..... i trust her to stop the stylist if he cuts to much. my sis isn't a person to mess with lolz i luv tho she's a good friendTongue
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 12:31pm

Personally, I could not imagine going without a conditioner!I would not be able to get anything through my hair.

Mabye friction is causing the splits? I have a section on the under side that gets them like mad, because of rubbing against my body. Just a thought.

I am with Susan, though, check your treatments for cones. My understanding is that any "end" treatment  is going to have them in it.

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 7:03pm
yea i'm gonna cut back on it tho
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 7:18am
Hmm, I don't know what carrot tea tree oil is, but I have some straight tea tree oil at home.  I haven't dipped into it for a long time, so maybe I'm not remembering exactly right, but I don't think mine was very oily.  I remember using it to mix up facial lotions and such, and I thought it was more of a watery thing (and a strong thing at that). 

And the gel may have some alcohol in it that is probably mild, but may cause dryness if used all the time on the delicate ends.  You may want to try switching out your gel for a heavier oil, or for aloe vera gel (if you need the stickiness/hardness of it) if you find your tresemme has alcohol in it.  I'm betting these products are likely more to blame for any dryness problems than your conditioner. 

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 9:15am
Oh my goodness, I just re read what you said SC about the tea tree oil. I have this at home, I use it for the occasional acne spot. It is a very drieing oil. It is good for disinfecting cuts and scrapes and is even used for treating fingus. I would most definetly stop using it on your hair.Confused

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 5:07pm
Alisa: really!!! omg but good thing its diluted with other oils, its just mainly tea tree. i use a little tho but if i don't the gell gets too hard
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 7:55pm
Conditioner, yes, without a doubt!  But when dried, add a bit of oil.

I'm curious what is causing the plethora of splits, SugarCube.  There must be something... they don't split on their own.  I acknowledge that your hair is fragile due to its texture, but how gently do your handle your hair at all times?
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 10:55pm
Tea Tree is an essential oil.  That's unusual that it would be the main ingredient.  It's usually diluted in a carrier oil (meaning a large amount of carrier oil with a very small amount of essential oil).  I might use this oil on my scalp, but not the ends.  Like Alisa said, it's antibacterial and antifungal so it's good for an occasional scalp treatment.   If I were you I'd definitely look for a new oil.  I've heard good reviews on carrot oil.  Maybe you could find some without tea tree.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 10:40am
I have seen Carrot oil alot for skin care. It is very moisturizing. Mabye the combo was meant for your face.

I am with the others, use oil, it is awesome! You just have to find the right one.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 7:05pm
I have curly hair that gets dry conditioner is a friend for me. Id say if its a foe for you to use a light conditioner and nothing heavy but to still use it, it smooths out flyaways and tames split ends. I also say if your not a big fan of conditioner opt for a leave in or a little oil.
Babycheeks
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2007 at 12:27pm
yea well i skimped on the gell and oil and use some cream and serum n it turns out i don't have as many splits as i thought!!!!!!!drunk i guess the oil was drying my hair up and when i felt my ends i assumed there weere splits n now i found there aren't just about the last 1/4 inch which i'm gonna go to get dusted im sooooo happy i could cry. i am DEF goona use my new hair conoction (runs around the room screaming weeee while dad, sis n cats quietly shake their heads n mutter amusingly "oh LORD what did that child drink now jk lolz")
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 9:08am
I am very happy for you!cheerIsn't it such a great feeling, when we find something tha works!
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
JB521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 7:01pm
Alisa....what does ciii mean in ur sig? Im real new....
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2007 at 12:04am
It is the thickness of my hair.
here is a link that explains it.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

I am very happy for you!cheerIsn't it such a great feeling, when we find something tha works!

I'm happy for you as well, Sugarcube! Clap
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 9:40pm
thanks guys i'm soo happy..... this means my bsl length won't have to suffer another hideous cut ( technically its bsl when straight but i'm just gonna ignore that factWink)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic