Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heavier oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavier oil
    Posted: July 18 2007 at 10:31am

Hello,

As some of you know, I have been using jojoba oil. I really like it, but with the heat around 100Cool, I have come to the conclusion that I need a heavier oil.
I love the effects of jojoba, but WOW, I am using alot at the moment.
I am thinking about getting coconut, but thought I should get some input from those of you have tried different oils.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 11:40am
Well, I just read that out of all the oils, avacado has the highest sunscreen properties......hmmmmmm
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 9:54am
I haven't tried coconut...I bought some 4 years ago and can't find it, I suspect it went bad long ago and is probably rotten somewhere - I SO wish I could find it! 

I mostly use jojoba, (which I don't like that much alone because it makes my ends feel crunchy but sometimes use it anyway) or a mix of jojoba with mango butter, or jojoba with shea butter.  I like the ones with the butters added because they don't give it the crunchies.

If you do try avocado, let us know how you like it!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 11:40am
I am starting to see what you have said about jojoba making it crunchy. It normally doesn't for me, but I am having to use alot more than normal to counteract the heat.Which is working, alright. I just think that if I am having to use sooo much, I need a heavier oil. 
I am leaning towards the avacado. Everything I have read in the past day seems to point to it being the best. I especially like that it is the highest in sunscreen properties of natural oils.
I have a feeling that it will be hard to find. I am going to town tomarrow so I am going to look. There a couple of stores that I think might have it ( health food and the like).I may end up just getting coconut for now and ordering the avacado online.
I have read though, that the coconut coats the hair and seals in moisture,some what like a silicone, but does not need to be clarified off.
But jojoba is supposed to do the same thing.
I am kind of wondering if I just need to mix a couple together.  
A little of this, a little of that!Wink

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2007 at 4:17pm
I just bought carrot oil.  I used it today for the first time, so I don't know how well it may have worked

I have a really dumb question:  how do you oil?  are you supposed to apply it to the ends and let it air dry?  or do you wash it off?  or use it as a hot oil treatment?  I want to make sure I'm using it correctly
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 6:01pm
Well, peole use it differently. I use it in anumber of ways. Right now, I am using it as a protectant, by applying while at the beach and then braiding.Sometimes, I will put it in at night and braid and then wash out in the morning. You can also add to to your conditioner, use it as a prewash treatment, or a leave-in treatment. There are alot of ways to use it. You just need to experminent to find what works for you.

I got some cocconut oil yesterday. I could not find any avacado oil, which was as I expected. I used it today for the first time, so we'll see how it goes. It is alot thicker than jojoba, and did not leave anything feeling crunchy at all. I put alot in because we were at the bach, but it still does not feel quit as oily. I can tell it has oil in it,but normally with jojoba, it feels pretty oily. I think if I were to use less, I could definetly use it as a good leave-in.
I still want to try avacado though, so I am going to order some online.  
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 7:40am
I can get avocado at my grocery store and at my local greek grocery, but we have a large international section so sometimes we have stuff other stores don't, (I know my sister can't find a lot of the same stuff at her store in another state).  Maybe I will have to try avocado.  Thanks for letting us know the coconut doesn't make your hair crunchy, that's good to know! 

I have heard on another forum that people swear by oiling damp hair, that it fixes their crunchy problem - for the same reason you mentioned, that oiling hair coats it so you'd be locking moisture in if you oiled it damp. (But that since oil only makes a soft oily coat that washes off with shampoo its not the kind of hard coat you have to clarify off).  That's the theory anyway, I tried it and didn't see any difference at all.  I still do better with my jojoba/butters mix on dry hair.  Maybe it only works on some hairtypes. 
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 10:37am
OK, I just erased a whole post!ConfusedHere we go again.......

So far I really like the coconut oil. It is like a butter until it melts. I put some in a small bottle to take with me to the beach ( we go at least 3-4 x a week), and when I left my home, it was solid. By the time we got all set up, and I was able to use it, it was a golden liquid.
I  didn't have time to rinse it out or anything and had a bible study last night, so I just brushed it out and sprayed it down to reactivate the curl pattern. I was expecting to have to stick it in a braid, or put it up, but the coconut oil actually helled the curl pattern together really well, and made my hair really soft.
I still have it in, I put it back in a braid last night, and haven't gotten around to rinsing it out yet.So, we'll see how it turns out.

I just ordered some avocado oil and Shea oil from www.oilsbynature.com It was pretty cheap. The Shea oil was around $12 and avocado around $5, both 16 Oz. I am really excited to try them out.  Other sites had the same sizes for at least twice the amount.
I am going to try them all seperate, and also mix a little togther to compare. 

Edited by Alisa06 - July 29 2007 at 3:23pm
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 6:45pm
I've tried 4 different oils and found that I like butter better.  Jojoba does the crunchy thing (wet or dry, though wet is a little better).  Sweet almond is a good light oil, when I was oiling my hair I liked it best.  I've tried 2 different types of coconut oil.  I don't know what the first one was, but it sounds like what Alisa described.  The second one was virgin coconut oil, it was creamy and white and turned clear when melted.  It was lighter than the first one.  I liked it better.  The only oil I ever use anymore is olive, for deep conditioning pre-wash treatments.

Many long haired people oil on a daily basis.  Put a few drops in your hand and rub your palms together, then smooth it into the ends only.

I personally use pure raw shea butter, about a dime-sized piece melted between my palms and smoothed into the ends of my freshly washed wet hair.  This is what I have found works best for my hair.  The best thing to do is experiment until you find what your hair reacts best to.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 3:19pm
I have raw shea butter, and I like it for a treatment, but it is too heavy for me for a leave-in.I really liked the results, though,so when I saw Shea oil, I jumped at it.
I got the avacodo, and shea oils on friday. Very fast shipping!!!( I ordered on monday)
They are both much thicker that the jojoba, which is what I wanted.
The Shea oil is amzing!! I love it.I used it friday after I washed, only on the ends like I normally do as a leave-in. It held the curl pattern wonderfully, even after I fingered through when it dried. And as far as softness  it was very, very soft. It really reminded me of a moose or something similar, but much softer. It made the coconut oil move to the back of the shelf. LOL
I have only tried the avacodo as a pre-wash treatment. I think that it being heavier is a really good thing, because it seems to last longer in the water.
I used the shea oil again after I used the avocodo pre-wash, and it seemed to be too much. Although, we were spending the day at the beach, so I put more shea in than I normally would have.
I want to mix a little of them both together, and see how it works.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 3:22pm
Oh, I forgot to mention that I was wrong on the color of the coconut oilEmbarrassed The color of the bottle threw me off. It is actually clear.oops!
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 11:08am
OK, so... the avocado is just as great as the Shea!!Confused 
I was hoping to like one a little more than the other.oh, well. Today I am going to mix a little of each together for a leave-in.  
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 8:00pm
Hey Alisa, glad to hear the shea is working so well for you! (and the avocado too!) Clap
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 10:36am
Hey, Dave.

Yah, I like them both. Thay have very similar effects.Yesterday I ddi mix them together, about half and half.I think a little more of the shea came out, but baically  1/2 & 1/2. I am still having to get used to the heavier oils. With jojoba, I used a huge hand full, but a little more than a few drops with these oils is plenty.
Anyway.... Together they seem to be just as good, so I think I will keep it that way.I really like that the avacodo has the hightest sun screen properties of all natural oils.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 2:18pm

The last time I ordered avocado oil, I put it into a body butter immediately. Based on similar oils, I suspect that it needs to be blended with an oil that has a better shelf life, or it needs to be refrigerated to prevent it from quickly going rancid.

It also has this distinctive smell, one that reminds me of an oil I used to play with in the bathtub as a kid. Embarrassed

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 7:51pm
I love, love, love the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner by AUBREY Organics.  My routine is to wash my hair with VO5 extra body conditioner and then follow with the AUBREY.  It has many oils in the formula that my hair loves, plus I also use it on my boys hair.  We all have very shiny hairSmile
Here is a website listing the ingredients. http://www.aubrey-organics.com/product1.cfm?product_id=351&cat=6&subcat=19
When I go swimming - which is everyday I soak my hair with tap water and then put a lot of the AUBREY swimming conditioner on, then cover with a swim cap (do the same with the boys hair too).  Afterwards I wash with the AUBREY swimming shampoo and then do my, VO5 and Honeysuckle. 
tomorrowperfume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomorrowperfume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 3:58pm
I tried a pre-shampoo wash from Burt's Bees, and it made my hair all soft and shiny - it's got avocado oil, olive oil, and a bunch of other stuff that probably contradicts all the good stuff in it:

Vegetable glycerin, olive oil, oat kernel protein, avocado oil, citrus rind cleanser, lanolin, tocopherol (vitamin E), nettle leaf powder, rosemary leaf powder, chlorophyll, fragrance

Is it worth the $9 I'd pay for it? You decide;
30 inches; 2a/M/iii
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 11:03am
From what I read on avacodo oil, because of the high antioxident level, its shelf life is around 1 yr. To add a longer shelf life, you need to add a higher antioxident.
It does have a slight smell, but it is very mild. The shea oil remindes me of something. Funny how our noses can trigger memories.Tongue

Kimbearly, I have wanted to try Aubrey Organics, I just couldn't figure out which one.They all look good. Thank you for the tip, it looks like a really good conditioner.

TomorrowPerfume, I think it looks like a good treatment. How much is in the bottle? At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have thought of trieing that one also.I chose to go with the straight oil because the oil was so far down on the list.Not to mention I got it for around $5 for 16 oz. I use the avacado oil as a treatment like you would the burts bees, also like the friz-eaze from John Freeda. A little goes along way though.

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 4:10pm
I swear by ojon restorative treament.Its kinda pricey,but it really works.And the only thing in it is red palm oil.

I wish my hair liked shea,cause the scent is so nice.

(hijack) kimbearly:your hair is getting so long.It looks great.And your right your kids hair really shines.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 11:47am
 Longharidreams--- I have never heard of Red palm oil. I have not looked for it though. Where do you get it?

Kimbearly, do you get it straight from the website, or do you go somewhere else?
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic