Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cleanup tips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tomorrowperfume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomorrowperfume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleanup tips?
    Posted: July 31 2007 at 4:08pm

Hi everybody! I've been ghosting this forum for a few months, and now I finally have a question worth answering:

My hair is a couple of inches above my waist, and with two shedding cats and a frequently visiting friend with hair longer than mine, I don't know how to keep up with the hairballs I find everywhere! I like it on my head, but not stuck to my upholstery or balled up in corners. Does anyone have any quick cleanup tips to keep my house less... hairy?
30 inches; 2a/M/iii
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 8:04pm
welcome tomorrowperfume!

Sweep (broom and/or vacuum, depending on surface) frequently.  Remove the hair from the beater bar of the vacuum every time.  In a pinch I'll apply damp hands and swirl the palms in circles on the carpet to clean up a small area.  What methods and tools have you found to be helpful?

SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 8:58pm
for the cats comb them on a daily basis to ensure that most of the shedding hair is gone. as for the friend idk but lint rollers will be your best friend trust me (i have cats myself and my sis has thick hair to her waist so i know exactly what yer talkin boutWink)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomorrowperfume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 9:04am
Thanks Sugar... I picked up a cheap lint roller at the dollar store, and it worked wonders! I even lint rolled my cats (to their dismay Tongue) I'm definitely picking up more today.

Dave - I checked the beater bar on my vacuum cleaner, which for some reason I've never checked before. It was so full of tangled hair that I had to cut it off Embarrassed... So that's why my vacuum didn't work very well before! I'll have to try out the wet hands on carpet approach for quick cleanup on trouble spots.

Thanks guys!
30 inches; 2a/M/iii
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 2:30pm
glad i cud help guess the kitties didn't like their late spring cleang did they lolzTongue
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 3:19pm
yep I also have to pull my hair out of the vacuum.

Also, when I comb my hair I make sure that I put the shed hairs in the trash can right after wards so they don't end up on the floor.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 3:25pm
I am with Sarsvati, except I put the loose hairs straight into the toilet. When I do see a mess, If it is the bathroom, I will take some toilet paper, and wipe it up. This seems to help it stay together. If it is else where,I try to vacuum at least 2-3 times a week, and use my hose to get into the corners. I would like to vacuum more like everyday or two, but life gets to busy. 
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
gypsydoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsydoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 10:55pm
I agree with Dave that fingers across the carpet works well in a pinch.  i do that in the bathroom too.
 I have hardwoods, so a broom is best everyday, at least in the corners where the hair-bunnies like to hide.
Now, in the spring, save your hair from the comb/brush and pets and set outside for the birds.  It strengthens the nest and make the chicks comfortable.
Jen, (1a/f/ii)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomorrowperfume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 9:38am
Little birdies like my hair? I wish I'd thought of that! Thanks, gypsy...
30 inches; 2a/M/iii
tani-lai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tani-lai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 11:30am
I've also found that those Swiffer-style sweepers are great for hair pick-up, at least on the hard surface floors!  And thanks for the reminders, I think it's time to check the vacuum's beater bar!

31"!!
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 2:40pm
It's funny that this subject came up.  So how many have found nasty things in the sink trap?  About 2 weeks ago, I started cleaning hair from the shower drain.  I saw a few there so tried to pick them up.  Of course, they went down the drain and were tangled down there somewhere so the next step was to unscrew the shower drain and take it off to see what was down there.  I could not believe what I pulled out.  I'm not kidding.  I kept pulling and pulled out a ponytail that was probably about 4 inches in circumference and about 3 feet long.  What I pulled out amounted to a full head of long hair.  It would not have believed it without seeing it.  I wish I would have taken a picture of it, but it was rather disgusting looking and didn't smell so good LOL!

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2007 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by tdouty tdouty wrote:

It's funny that this subject came up.  So how many have found nasty things in the sink trap?  About 2 weeks ago, I started cleaning hair from the shower drain.  I saw a few there so tried to pick them up.  Of course, they went down the drain and were tangled down there somewhere so the next step was to unscrew the shower drain and take it off to see what was down there.  I could not believe what I pulled out.  I'm not kidding.  I kept pulling and pulled out a ponytail that was probably about 4 inches in circumference and about 3 feet long.  What I pulled out amounted to a full head of long hair.  It would not have believed it without seeing it.  I wish I would have taken a picture of it, but it was rather disgusting looking and didn't smell so good LOL!

We usually clean the drain about once a month and find what looks like a drowned mouse, so I don't doubt you at all! LOL

As for carpets, my mom found the most wonderful thing.... a rubber broom!  I'm sure y'all know how well hair sticks to rubber.  I love it!  I "sweep" the carpet just before vacuuming to keep from having to cut hair off the beater bar.  It works well on furniture too. 
I also do the hand-swipe across the floor in the bathroom after combing my hair to pick up any that have fallen.

How about finding them tangled in the laundry?
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 12:10pm
Oh my goodness, I have to check to drain at least once a week!DeadIt is really rather disgusting. I probably do not not need to check it so often, but about 6 years ago, we had a drain that was almost plugged up. It was an upstairs bathroom, and thankfully the pipes were in a closet in the basement that was not finished, so the pipes were easy to get to.
When all was said and done, there was mess of hair that would hair been the equivalent of a small dog! We were shocked!
So now I check all the time. Although, I still get some horribly long things that do not want to come out.

Hairbraider, where do you get a rubber broom!what a great idea! I wonder if it would work with dog hair?I wouldn't see why not. We have three German Shepherd dogs. Lets just say that hair in general is somewhat of a problem for us.bash
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomorrowperfume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 3:18pm
A rubber broom? That sounds like a great idea! And I pull all the hair out of my drain after every shower. In the laundry, I almost always have at least one ball of hair tangled up in something, and I have to cut it off.

Lately I've been seeing a guy whose hair is longer than mine (hip-length when it's straight!), and I don't look forward to cleaning up his hair too :( I'm going to have to look into the rubber broom option, as well as those Swiffer things for the tile... I hate cleaning >.< but I hate living in hair even worse.
30 inches; 2a/M/iii
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 7:59pm
I think my mom bought it online at abcdistributing.com, but I'm not sure if they're still available, it's been a couple years.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic