Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I believe I found a gentle hair color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I believe I found a gentle hair color
    Posted: August 27 2007 at 5:15pm

I was searching around for a hair color that is gentle to hair.  Since my hair is on the porous side, I like to use a semi-perm (deposit only) on my hair from time to time.   It fills in gaps (the pores of your hair shaft) and makes my hair really shiny. OK, it also covers my 10 or so gray hairs.

I usually use:

http://www.thecreativestudio.com/main.jsp?nav=dispensary/haircolor/radiance

but, this time I am going to try

http://www.clairolpro.com/main.jsp?nav=dispensary/haircolor/bc_family

since it contains no peroxide, where the other formula has some in it - not much, but it's still in there.  I read that is it fine to use on all hair types, not just relaxed hair.  I am going to Sally's tomorrow to see if they have it.

hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 6:17pm

Ten or so gray hairs???  I have way more than that.  Not fair.  Luckily they're not right on the top of my head so they're not usually visible.  I don't know if I'll ever color or not.  I guess it depends on how old I am when they start getting obvious.

sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 2:27pm
I have a few directly above my right eye, and like one or two near my temples.I haven't colored it so long I have one gray that goes almost my whole length! I would like to color in some way, but only to help with the effects of the sun. I have alot of red, and the sun seems to  make it get  almost a "brassiness" to it. But... I don't really want to cover up my gray.
I just got from Aveda, a color depositing co called black mallow that is for dark hair. It is almost jet black! I have only use it once, ( this morning) and so far I can't tell anything. I know it will take time to get any effect.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 3:22pm
Mine are right above where my bangs are, only on my left.  In 20 years or so I will probably have a skunk stripe right in that area.  It's strange since I do not have any underneath my hair.  My mom at 67 only was 33% gray, so I was blessed with her hair.  She passed away last year and I sure do miss her. She is my guardian angel now.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 5:45pm
I am so sorry to  hear that. Hug I am sure there is nothing That can be said or done that would do more than barely touch the tip of your void.My deepest condolences are with you.
I can really relate. My grandma passed on  a year ago this past July 30. She was very,very special, and inspirational in my life. I keep waiting for the "time will heal" motto to kick in. I am still so raw still, like no time has even passed.Broken%20Heart
I just keep telling myself that she is home with her Savior, where she wanted to go for a very long time.

My husband says I am going to look like Rouge from the x-men, if I keep going in this pattern. My Grandma ( the one I mentioned above)was almost completely gray by the time she was 30. My other grandma, on the other hand didn't go completely gray until she was almost 70! I turned 30 last Feb, and so far only a few, so we'll see.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 10:07pm
Color depositing conditioner.... that's an idea.  That's something I might would use.  Sounds alot safer (and less shock-producing) than regular hair dye.  For years I've thought of coloring my hair a deep red, but never had the nerve.  Logic tells me that if it started getting too much of the new color, you could start using one close to your natural color to "dye" it back to normal. Ermm
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 9:16am
Interesting, do tell us how it works for you.  I used to use a color depositing shampoo called Clairol Complements (which I don't see on that site - what they call complements now seems to be dye).  It looks like its a similar thing to what that was.  It didn't work very well on my natural haircolor (which may be why they say its for use on relaxed hair which would be more porous).  It did work great when my hair was porous from previous lightening or dyeing though.  I could be red one week, brown the next.  Can't do blonde without lightening, but that was what the dye was for!  Even on my porous fried hair, the brown came out shiny, which surprised me.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 9:26am

My thoughts, exactly, Hairbraider. I don't want to change the color, just enhance it.The one I got is called black Malva from Aveda. Here is the link.
They have other ones for different colors.

It is for brunette/ dark hair. It looks jet balck when it goes on. I almost got a little nervous.
I have used it two times so far. Yesterday and today. They say to leave in a longer for stronger results.(which makes sence). So far I can't see a very big change, but I don't want a too big of one. My hair is extremely shiny though. But I also just got the aubrey organics co Kimbearly reccomended.
I'll let you know hoe it goes.

Edited by Alisa06 - August 29 2007 at 9:27am
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 1:45pm
Well, so far I really like this co.!Clap My highlights are what I wasn't liking. Because of being i the sun allot of the summer, I got this brassy/coppery look  I didn't like. So far, they are turning more of a dark auburny highlight.I am sure I will not be able to get rid of the red all the way, Which I don't want it completly gone, I just want the bleached out look to go away.I will try to take a pic of it sometime today. I wasn't thinking, I should have done a before pic.
I really like the fact that I will be able to control the intensity level be just not using it, ort using it more.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 3:59pm
Glad it is working for you.  Where do you buy your Aveda products?  You peeked my interest on this one.  BTW thank you for all of the nice things you said about mom and blessings to you for the loss of your dear grandmother.  I believe they are in a happy place now.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2007 at 4:58pm
Thank you very much, KimbearlyHug!
 I just ordered it straight from the website. www.aveda.com . It is supposed to do be under conditioners, but I have a hard time finding it unless I do a search for it. It really seems to be working, I am pretty excited!
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
tani-lai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tani-lai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 10:03am
Thank you both for these ideas!  My hair also tends to fade a bit in the summer, and just doesn't look good.  I used to just use a permanent dye, but haven't wanted to do that this year (since discovering this board).  It's nice to hear about some good products from real people who have used them.  LOL I sound like a commercial now!

31"!!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 11:38am
I think we all sound like comercials at some point!Wink
I didn't use the color co this morning I didn't want to go to drastic as it it seams to really be working!Clap  I am thinking that mabye every other time I condition I might use it,( I usually condition at least every other day, sometimes everyday, but shampoo 1-2 x wk) as least for the first little bit. Although, The way it is going, that might be to much. Hhhmm? I'll figure it out.

A little piece of advice, if any of you do decide to give it a try... it stained my nails!Shocked I didn't have any polish on, and voila, they got a blue/purple tint to them.I put a drop of bleach water on them and now they are fine. I just thought I would add that in. 
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
tani-lai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tani-lai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 11:42am
Excellent, thanks for that last bit!  I wouldn't have thought to do the bleach water--I just would have gone through the day with blue nails! LOL

31"!!
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2007 at 5:06pm
Well, actually, I did for about a day and a half,Confused Until I came up with the idea.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic