Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Were the 70's That Great?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Were the 70's That Great?
    Posted: December 04 2007 at 4:45pm
     As a guy who was a teen in the 70's, I was stunned by a recent thread that I read about all the long, splendid hair of this era. Seems to me that this thinking is rose-colored hindsight. First, there were virtually NO women over 30 with appreciable locks, and the younger gals with length usually frayed theirs with plastic brushes. Yes, there were SOME incredible heads of hair, but they were a distinct minority. This is to be forgiven, since there were no long-tressed moms to teach their girls hair care. Moreover, most of the "long" hair was only BS length, anyway.
     In fact, most manes were so mediocre-looking that throughout HS I thought that really sensuous long tresses existed as the domain of a special few.
     I'd love to know how the rest of you view the 70's. To me, *today's*  long styles, in general, (forgetting all those sloppy layer cuts) look far superior to those of the so-called Halcyon era of long locks. Blessings, Bob Big%20smile

Edited by Bob S - December 04 2007 at 4:47pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 7:15am
Parted down the middle with no bangs isn't the most flattering style on most of us!  I don't remember 70s hair that much, I remember seeing some nice long 70s hair on tv back then. Maybe people are just remembering glorious tv hair?  Actually I remember more people with longer than bsl lengths in the 80s (usually with bangs, perms, layers, and sometimes funky colors in it...I guess those styles were too close to mullet to be remembered fondly!)

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 9:24am
Interesting topic......

Being a teenager in the 70's, I had long hair. Yes, parted down the middle straight 1 length. I remember too, we didn't have detangler shampoo or conditioners back then, or maybe my Mom just didn't buy them for me. But, it seems that I remember that stuff coming out in the 80's.
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 2:16pm
Weren't those combs with razorblades invented in the 70s?
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 2:38pm
What about Raquel Welch? Brigitte Bardot?
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 7:45pm
Raquel Welch I recall her late 60's looks. Thanks Fat.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 3:38pm
      Out of 135 girls in my HS class, only three maybe had hair as mesmerising as Marcia and Jan Brady! And only one of those had hair as long. I can think of several that I WISH had grown their hair like the Brady girls'. (lol) Embarrassed Bob
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2007 at 2:34pm
Ah yes....Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!  Parted down the middle and all one length isn't supposed to be flattering, but I sure thought she was hot LOL!  I should have liked Jan because she had longer and better hair, but Marcia just did it for me for some reason.

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2007 at 6:40pm
I had the Dorothy Hamil haircut.  yuck!
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 5:00pm
It was a mighty long time before I was born so I've no memories, but my mum wanted to be Cher, and in the 70s had amazing long, near black hair to her waist which was so thick that people thought it was a wig when it was curled.  But it was difficult to maintain.  As paper said, the shampoos were nothing like they are now, and conditioners were new.  Even the plastic based fibres for clothing must have been a staticy nightmare; I have enough 70s dresses to know that back zips on polyester aren't going to be best of friends with your hair. 

And they didn't have the internet to exchange tips on Tongue
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
PrincessFurball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessFurball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 7:19am
I'm with enfys, it was wayyyy before I was born, but looking through my Mom's yearbook (she graduated in '70, I think) there was some pretty, uh, weird hair. Smile There were girls with fairly long, absolutely smooth straight hair, but Mom talks about girls ironing their hair on the ironing board to get it that way. Shocked She was always too scared to do it, though!
Current length: approx. 52"
Goal length: Infinity :)
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 3:56pm
Princess Furball, my mum did that too!  Not very often though...my nana used to complain about having to doit for her, and all the baking sheet paper it took up!

We don't have much to complain about nowadays, compared haha.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 12:00am
Bob, I wasn't aware we were about the same age, but my 70s memories are filled with longhaired girls.

My elementary-school crushes had waistlength hair.

My first girlfriend had Marcia-length hair. In fact, her name is Marcia and, I dare say, remains hotter than Marcia Brady to this day.

My New Year's date (1973, I think) had waistlength hair.

My senior prom date (an Asian beauty who was also our class valedictorian) had waistlength hair.

The gal I dated (and eventually married) had/has Marcia-length hair, or longer.

In college, my most memorable assignment was a one-on-one interview of Debra Jo Fondren of Playboy fame for my university newspaper. As you know, DJF had hair to her knees back then.

All of that during the 70s.

Were longhaired women in the minority? Certainly -- and they still are today, dang it.

But thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.

Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 2:32am
People were alive in the 70s? That's crazy! Tongue
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 9:26pm
I turned 10 in 1970, went to high school from 1974 to 1978, and then was in college for the rest of the 1970's.  As I recall, long, one-length, parted in the middle hair with no bangs was very popular early in the 1970s.  Some of my friends got "shag" haircuts a la Jane Fonda in Klute early in the 1970s, say around 1974, but most kept the long, one-length look until the mid-70s.

In the mid-1970s, the long one-length look that most young women had ahd for years began to change.  First the Dorothy Hamill wedge cut, the "Dorothy 'do," caught on after the 1976 Winter Olympics that she was in.  Next, the "Farrah cut" popularized by Farrah Fawcett in Charlie's Angels, with lots of side feathering, became very popular in the mid to late 1970's.  Many of my friends got that cut; my old high school yearbooks show that as very popular. 

In the late 1970's, when I was in college, few of us still had long one-length hair; many had shoulder length Farrah 'dos or even shorter variations of the Farrah feathered look, based on old yearbooks.  

Long one-length hair seems much more common now among high school and college young women than it was in the late 1970's, but no more common than the early 1970's.  One difference now is fewer parts right down the middle; most young women with long hair seem to have off center parts, or long bangs, or other changes from the "middle part no bangs" look of the early 1970's (& late 1960's).

I do think women's hair is in general much healthier now than in the 1970's, with many more product options and more widespread knowledge of healthy hair practices.
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 7:58am
Nice post Katherine. We are about the same age and you are exactly right!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 5:35pm
      The wedge was the only "short" trend that I actually enjoyed. To think that Dorothy Hamill herself hated it! (lol) The shags were gruesome, and left many a long mane a hay-like mess in their wake. The Farrah look was decent, but they took way too much time to style, and often looked stiff.
     Yeah, Katherine, the "70's" were actually about a five year period from 1969 to 1974, with many starting from Mia crop grow-outs.  But the *nice* looking long tresses, even during the best years, were few and far between, and I can't remember ever seeing a *woman* in that day who wore her hair impressively long and well-groomed. Than God for today! Wink Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic