Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair thickness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cryption View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cryption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair thickness
    Posted: January 06 2008 at 7:24pm
Hello,

Im growing my hair after getting it cut short after a dye mishap.
I used to get it cut every couple of months then realised that it was taking that long to grow and then my hairdresser was cutting the asme amount of growth off so it never seemed to get any longer.

I turned to extensions to cover up my lack of body after it grew out of the cut the hairdresser did and I refused to let anyone cut it anymore.
However, having glued extensions pulled at my hair and I lost a lot through them. I'm now wearing clip ins which are much better for my hair and my hair is much hapier for it.

However, my problem is that my hair is still very fine with very little body and I desperately want normal/thickish hair. I'm gorinwg out all my shorter layers to help but I still think my hair is unusually thin eventhough it is in good condition, i have to wash it every day or it gets greasy and products just weigh it down.

I've been thinking recently, I heard that your hair grows as fast as it falls out keeping the amount constant.....but since my hair has been lost through extensions, does that mean it will never thicken to what it used to be again? Will it stay constantly thin for the rest of my life even if i carry on to treat it with as much respect as I do now (no dying, tonging, straightening, products etc)?

Thanks
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 2:37pm
     First, welcome cryption! Smile
     Second, my wife has only had layers during a couple of forays into shorter styles, BUT... she used to use a plastic brush which gave her thousads of frayed, unplanned "layers" when her hair was longer.
     IMO, it is a rare stylist who is talented enough to make layers look great in fine, straight hair. So, you are probably wise to lose them gradually. The good news is that my wife's long hair looks 100% better than it did when we met, 30 years ago. No more brushes, only Goody wide-toothed combs. And slooo...w untangling, no more ripping. Lots of conditioner too. All the best to you! Bob Star 
cryption View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cryption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2008 at 4:05pm
Thank you for your informative reply and the lovely welcome, Bob!

Yes, as much as I love the volume having layers gives me, in order to obtain this volume in short hair the layers have to be kept really short and it just doesnt suit me i dont think :( So I figured growing all my hair to the same length would give me both length and my hairs natural volume.

I've recently invested in a natural bristle brush actually, and i used a wide toothed comb when my hair is wet so hopefully ill see an improvement there!

As for the stylists, I agree completely. Especially since the fashion seems to be lots of layers and straightened poker straight- it gives people no volume or thickness to their hair, I really don't like it! I desperately need a cut but my previous stylist no longer works locally and everytime i check out a new salon the girls there have the layered-poker-straight look and im scared theyll try and cut my hair like mine! Especially since they all seem to be pretty young around here and are probably only recently qualified or still trainees.

I'm glad to hear your wifes hair is looking so good, hopefully I can achieve what she did too! I've been using lots of pantene conditioner recently since its pretty cheap and a well known brand but, browsing throught this forum, i learned that it actually contains 3 types of alcohol which is bad for your hair! So I think im going to invest in a more upper market one this time!
savyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 5:52pm
Good luck with growing your hair out! I'm kind of in the same boat, except probably half a year in to my goal :) I had a dye job go bad and lost a lot of hair to breakage :( I'm finaly in that stage where I'm *almost* happy... well I have good days and bad days anyways.
 I found that remark you said about "your hair grows as fast as it falls out" very interesting, I wonder if there is any truth to that? my hair ALWAYS falls out... I hate it. I'm pretty sure I don't lose more than a hundered a day or whatever that rule of thumb is.. but still! Theres nothing like trying to grow out hair only to watch years of work fall out into your shower, brush, clothing, bed, etc... grrr. Anyways good luck! is that your hair now in your avatar picture?
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 8:51pm
I have thin hair too, cant do a lot about it really Ive learned but long hair can still be beautiful on thin hair, I tried layers only made it look thinner.
Babycheeks
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 10:00am
Originally posted by cryption cryption wrote:

I've been thinking recently, I heard that your hair grows as fast as it falls out keeping the amount constant.....but since my hair has been lost through extensions, does that mean it will never thicken to what it used to be again? Will it stay constantly thin for the rest of my life even if i carry on to treat it with as much respect as I do now (no dying, tonging, straightening, products etc)?

That's not exactly how it works.  Each hair has a lifespan.  When that lifespan reaches its limit, the hair falls out.  (unless it's pulled out prematurely)  Another hair growing in doesn't push out the old one or anything like that.  If your hair used to be thicker, odd are it will get thicker again with your gentle treatment.  However, sometimes hormonal changes will cause a person's hair to thin permanantly.  If the glued-in extensions is what caused the hair loss, it should grow back in.  But it will take a long time to see any difference!  So don't get discouraged. Smile
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
cryption View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cryption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by hairbraider hairbraider wrote:

Originally posted by cryption cryption wrote:

That's not exactly how it works.  Each hair has a lifespan.  When that lifespan reaches its limit, the hair falls out.  (unless it's pulled out prematurely)  Another hair growing in doesn't push out the old one or anything like that.  If your hair used to be thicker, odd are it will get thicker again with your gentle treatment.  However, sometimes hormonal changes will cause a person's hair to thin permanantly.  If the glued-in extensions is what caused the hair loss, it should grow back in.  But it will take a long time to see any difference!  So don't get discouraged. Smile

Oh I see! That makes a lot more sense thank you for explaining it so thoroughly :)
Ive actually noticed a huge difference recently, I got the bottom layer of my hair trimmed, i was using the search and destory method with my split ends but I ended up with lots of different length hair which made it look really thin at the ends! But after having a few cm cut straight off it feels thicker already, i also started taking biotin & zinc recently and i switeched toa  gentle shampoo with no alcohol/silicone.
Your hair is so beautiful I hope I can grow mine that long even if it takes decades!LOL
Thanks again
savyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 10:45am
I get nervous everytime I go in for trims, I'm always worried she'll take off more than I think I need. my hairdresser is really good tho, she knows I'm trying to grow out my hair long so she helps me along, she'll say things like, I don't think you need any off in the back today, maybe just the sides... she's awesome. :)

ps. I found after much searching that Burt's Bees Shampoo works amazing, it's like a "hippie shampoo" and hippies have amazing long thick hair... I condition with Live Clean and Joico K-pak Deep Conditioning once a week. I also take biotin, a multi, silica & 3 fish oil caplets (ew) a day.
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 7:32am
Hiya,

Sorry to hear about your dye mishap, I think we've all been there! Your hair will get thicker though, chances are, the extensions only caused your hair to snap close to the root and only pulled some out. Even if it did pull it out, we pluck our eyebrows all the time and those buggers still come back so chances are, so will your headhair.

Heatstyling(straighteners and stuff) won't really help while you're trying to gain thickness but if you like using them, by all means keep using them. I straightened mine all the way through recovering my hair thickness and length(lost through a different reason) and if you're very careful, the damage from that can be kept to a minimum and you won't have to do the all natural look while your hair isn't healthy enough to pull it off.

Good luckSmile!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic