Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

thick hair that won't grow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
crazi4eeyore313 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazi4eeyore313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thick hair that won't grow
    Posted: February 22 2008 at 6:05pm
my hair has soooo many split ends and its kinda thick and poofy
i hate it and on top of all that, it won't grow! i get haircuts like every 3 months because if i get it sooner than it will get shorter. are there natural vitamins that i can take or what can i do so my hair is nice. like i hate it right now. and its kinda wavy and curly. but its unmanageable and i think i have tried the most treatments EVER!!!! i try leave ins, all kinds of shampoos and conditioners, etc. HELP! please let me know if you have treatments or suggestions! thanks!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 9:51pm
I'm so sorry that you hate your hair!  I hope I can help.

The first and most important step is learning the correct way to style it.  Most people think their hair is unmanageable because they don't know how to manage it to get the best results. 
The best tip ever for curly hair - after you wash and condition it, LEAVE IT ALONE.  No combing/brushing, no finger-combing, no blow-drying, nothing.  Gently squeeze it with a towel to remove excess water, and let it air dry touching it as little as possible.  After it's dry (or mostly dry) lightly smooth some gel on with your palms - not raking it through with your fingers.  Use a spray bottle to mist your hair a little if needed to smooth it down and tame frizzy spots.  Don't comb through it at all, not even with your fingers.

The second thing I would recommend for you is microtrimming.  Everyone on this forum has heard me say a thousand times how fragile my ends are and so prone to splits.  I simply cannot just "leave it alone and it will grow."  If I never trim it, the splits take over and I end up losing length from the ends breaking off.  I have this problem no matter what type of treatments I use.  The treatments improve it a great deal, but do not eliminate the problem.  I've found that trimming tiny amounts (like 1/4 inch) every couple months actually helped me gain length. 
The problem is that most people trim off as much or more than what has grown.  Normal growth rate is 1/2 inch per month.  If you're cutting off inches at a time every 2 or 3 months, you're beating yourself. 

You can check out my site (link below) to see everything about what I do and my favorite products and treatments and all that so I don't have to write it all out here.  I hope you find my information helpful. Wink  If you have any more questions, please ask!
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic