Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do all flat irons damage hair????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
catb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do all flat irons damage hair????
    Posted: March 13 2008 at 7:30am

I just recently got the Sedu Revolution flat iron and really like it. I have straight, fine hair but a lot of it (length is a bit longer than chin length, growing out a bob).

While my hair is straight, I use my flat iron to go over it quickly because my hair looks "puffy" after blowdrying, and I like that sleek, straight look. Since this is a high-end flat iron, am I doing a ton of damage to my hair by using this about 3-4 times per week?

Do heat protectant sprays really make a difference at all?

While I love the sleek look, I don't want to fry my hair and live with damage forever.

Any thoughts???
jbrime123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrime123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 3:52pm
Im no expert but a stylist recommended that I put a Heat protectant in my hair.  It was by Aveeda.  It is a smoother. I would say that the best way to protect your hair from heat damage is not to use a flat iron at all but if you absolutely must, I would do a biolustre treatment on your hair about once a month to keep it from being damaged as badly.  I have a friend who swears by them. Or do some EXTREME research on either the Brazilian Karatin Treatment or The Japanese hair straightening.  They are extremely expensive but you will spend far more money on repairing your hair in the long run after you ruin it with heat so the expense may be well worth it.  I say that you do need to do some EXTENSIVE research on salons in your area that might perform either service and ask them about a consoltation to make sure it is the right thing for you. 
The next advise I might give you is just be happy with your hair the way it is.  We are our own worst critic.  We tend to hate certain things about ourselves that all in all really make us unique.  You might not like the way your hair is but other people may not notice it as much as you do.
Either way.  It is up to you.  This is just advice though.
Jbrime123 
Almost Bald
Knyte260 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knyte260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 4:29pm
It is true that most Flat Irons with damage your hair but there are ways around it.  The compound that has been referred to in prior posts is very helpful in protecting your hair and will help for a better, more straight result.

As for hair irons themselves, they vary when it comes to damaging your hair. When you are looking for an iron, try and find 100% Ceramic plate irons (NOT baked ceramic finish!) because they will do the best job with the least damage.  I am a stylist and I have been using the Hana Elite 1" Flat Iron for the past month now and have seen great results with very little damage.  All of my customers love it.

I got it here - http://www.misikko.com/hana-elite-flat-iron.html
roro0202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roro0202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 10:12pm
Yes, but I was read an useful tips about how to prevent the heating damage.
1. You must exactly be sure with how much the heat which your hair need to get to straighten you want.
2. Always test the heat-level of a new hair straightener before you apply it to your hair.
3. Most of us don't realize that the hair should be completely dry before we use a hair straightener on it.
4. The hair should be well conditioned before hair straightening.

Here this the details, plz check if you interestedSmile:
Prevent Hair Damage By Using Hair Straightener

I hope it would help you!
Lynne Chapman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynne Chapman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2009 at 2:21pm
The new technology in flat irons is wonderful. They are made to be more effective with less stress on the hair. However, they are very hot and heat is hard on your hair. 
Always us heat protectant before heat styling. Your hair needs some kind of barrier to protect it from the heat. I always use a leave in conditoner (Bliss by Nioxin) and often a finishing cream as well. I flat iron my hair every time is shampoo and it stays in good conditon.
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=BLUE][B]Lynne Chapman[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
graceful View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graceful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 11:13am
All flat irons damage your hair to some extent, but the better quality ones damage it less. The ceramic-tourmaline plated flat irons are the best for your hair, followed by plain ceramic and last are the most damaging metal plated flat irons.

Ceramic and tourmaline produce negative ions that protect your hair and lock in the natural moisture while reducing frizz. The Sedu Revolution is very high quality so you don't have to worry about damage as much as long as you are using the right protective products before straightening. Heat protectant products really do make a difference, and it is important that you use them every time you straighten your hair.

For some tips on how to reduce damage while straightening your hair, check out this article: http://www.simplystraighthair.com/protecting-your-hair-from-heat-damage

Lynne Chapman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynne Chapman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2009 at 8:03pm
That's a nice articel. Very thorough.
This article talks about the new technologies in flat irons and blowdryers that help to leave hair in better condition.

Having been well acquainted with irons and dryers for many years, I love the new ones. So much nicer on my hair.
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=BLUE][B]Lynne Chapman[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic