Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Really, Really Short!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Really, Really Short!!!
    Posted: December 13 2002 at 9:40am
Hey! I did something very impulsive & crazy & maybe kinda stupid last night. I got all my hair cut off...its REALLY short- I mean, cropped, over-the-ears, boy-short. YIKES! I HAVE NO HAIR LEFT!!!!
I was shopping at the local mall with my mom, and she went into the salon there for a trim & highlights. While I was waiting, I was looking thru one of the style books there & I found this super-short cut that I thought was really cute. I`ve been kinda curious about super-short hair recently, so on a whim I decided to get it done...one of those wierd impulses you get that you cant really control. My mom freaked!!! I freaked, too, actually.
On the bright side, the stylist was really good and got it ot look almost exactly like the picture. I`m not sure what I think of it yet...I feel wierd and exposed and naked; even when it was short before it still hung in my eyes & covered my ears. Now my ears stick out and there`s no more hair to hide my eyes behind. Gulp!
So, I`m feeling nervous & kinda sick now cuz I`m heading off to school in a little while, and nobody but my mom has seen it yet...I might wind up regretting this. I already got teary over it last night- I`m sure I`ll probably bawl at some point today.
Anyway, just wanted to let that out...wish me luck, everybody. PLEASE! I might wind up putting this on the Bloopers board soon.......

Love,
Ingrid (with current shaking knees and swirling tummy)
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
AmandaPanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmandaPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2002 at 11:57am
I wish you luck, Ingrid. I would never have the courage you have to cut my hair that short(wouldn`t look good on me anyway!).
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2002 at 2:24pm
Wow...congrats on the big change Ingrid! If for no other reason, be happy that your hair will take virtually zero time to style, will cost you less in styling products and won`t be messed up even after riding through a wind tunnel. I wish I had the guts to go super short--I could sleep an extra 20 minutes instead of blowing my hair stick straight. Keep us updated on how you adjust to your new cut...and remember to smile: when your hair is short the emphasis is on your face :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Reply: View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reply: Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2002 at 4:12pm
How long was it before?
JOEE View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2002 at 7:34pm
It was only a matter of time ,Ingrid. I always enjoy your posts here, and I know that you get excited about hair and people`s hair adventures. Even all the big celebs get it chopped off. Yours is probably super sexy, and it must have been wild to have it clippered away. I wouldn`t do it. I`ve told my friends at sleepovers that they can chop it off, kinda hoping they will, but they just laugh it off. I hope you love it!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2002 at 11:51am
Hi Inga

I hope you enjoy your edgy cut.
Did you keep your dark hair colour?
I saw a girl the other day with v.short hair and she had the most beautifully decorated ears. Each ear pierced about six times, all the way up from her lobes - and she was wearing a tiny earring in each hole. Without that crop-cut, nobody would have been able to appreciate her ears!!!
Are you going to change your personal style (in terms of clothes) to better suit the hairstyle?
Sometimes a transformative hairstyle triggers a new way of looking and relating to yourself.
Have fun and please don`t freak out.
Every change brings greater knowledge and growth.

Take care
Uzi

johncall View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johncall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2002 at 3:21pm
I think it`s awesome to go with short hair! My wife went from super ling to maybe 1.5 inch chipped and wild short and loves the convenience that the short hair offers.

Once you get used to it I bet you won`t want to go back -unless peer pressure gets to you. :)
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 11:47am
Hey everybody! Thanks so much for your support & encouragement :) I`m still not sure if I like it yet... on the good side, it is really easy. It takes less than five minutes to wash & condition it, and altho I`m still working with styling it, it`s pretty easy to make it look alright. On the bad side, I`m still unsure about it- I got sort of a mixed reaction from people I know. Several girls at school said stuff like "It`s adorable!" and "I wish I had the guts to do that!", which is kinda flattering but I wonder if it means that they really hated it and couldn`t find anything else to say... there was a lot of squeals and exclamations of God`s name, and for soem reason a bunch of them felt the need of touch my hair, which made me nervous. I got lots of funny looks from guys. It seemed to make them nervous which isn`t neccessarily a bad thing.
In answer to some of your questions; before I got it cut it was still short, but more like a very layered short bob, angled in the front and about chin-length in the back...I saw on another web site that they used to call it an `Italian Boy` cut in the `50s. Now its much shorter- about 2 1/2 inches on the top (OK I measured it) but still curly, so it looks shorter. On the sides & back its less than an inch & kinda tapered, with little wispy strands in front of my ears (I guess thats that sideburn area ?) and in the very back (the nape I guess). Its not clippered or anything but I guess you can get the same length with clippers. She did use a clipper to `clean up` my neck area, which tickled and made me jerk around in the chair. Right now I`ve been using John Frieda Dream Curls to get the top wavy & full and parting it on the side & clipping up the bangs with a barette. I`m trying to figure out some other things to do with it. Last night I threw out a bunch of my scrunchies and bigger clips and stuff cuz I guess I won`t need those for a long time...
I`m still keeping it black- I dyed it again last night cuz the new cut really showed off my roots in a terrible way. I think it looks better black- I`ve heard that really short hair looks better with a bold color. Fortunately, I was already a jewelry and makeup junkie- I have three holes in my left ear and four in the right, and I`ve been wearing earrings in all of them since I did this, and even more makeup than usual, cuz I feel kinda boyish with this hair and maybe I`m overcompensating.
I found myself wearing more `girlie` kinda clothes too- I actually wore a dress to school on Friday, which I don`t think I`ve done since I was in grade school. On the bright side, I`ve always worn chokers, and I think they look really good now since my skinny `lil neck is sticking out so much. :)
Anway, thanks again for your support everybody and for reading my nervous rambling here. I`ll let you know how this all goes....

Lotsa Love,

Ingrid (or Inga, if you like)
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 11:50am
Oh, yeah, to Lyris- you said that you wish you `had the guts` to so super-short. I dunno if you meant it, and I`m not saying that you should if you didn`t want to...but I saw your picture that one time, and you`re really pretty and I think it would probably look great on you. You have very feminine features, so you wouldn`t look like a guy :) Just thought I`d tell ya that.

Love,
Ingrid.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2002 at 7:33am
hehehehe...thanks for the compliment Ingrid. I really *don`t* have the guts to chop it short although I`d love to. I literally have dozens of photos on my computer of short cuts that I will someday experiment with (probably when I have kids who like to pull my long hair.) I think the real reason behind my short-haired fear stems from my middle school days. I was a very homely little girl with acne, braces, furry eyebrows, no chest, the whole nine yards. Worst of all was my hair: chin length, puffy and with BIG short bangs. Awful. Every since then I`ve worn it sleek and long. But I do hope one day to take the plunge and go short. Congrats to you Ingrid for having the courage---it must be nice! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
EdAzner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdAzner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2002 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Ingrid16 Ingrid16 wrote:

Hey! I did something very impulsive & crazy & maybe kinda stupid last night. I got all my hair cut off...its REALLY short- I mean, cropped, over-the-ears, boy-short. YIKES! I HAVE NO HAIR LEFT!!!!
I was shopping at the local mall with my mom, and she went into the salon there for a trim & highlights. While I was waiting, I was looking thru one of the style books there & I found this super-short cut that I thought was really cute. I've been kinda curious about super-short hair recently, so on a whim I decided to get it done...one of those wierd impulses you get that you cant really control. My mom freaked!!! I freaked, too, actually.
On the bright side, the stylist was really good and got it ot look almost exactly like the picture. I'm not sure what I think of it yet...I feel wierd and exposed and naked; even when it was short before it still hung in my eyes & covered my ears. Now my ears stick out and there's no more hair to hide my eyes behind. Gulp!
So, I'm feeling nervous & kinda sick now cuz I'm heading off to school in a little while, and nobody but my mom has seen it yet...I might wind up regretting this. I already got teary over it last night- I'm sure I'll probably bawl at some point today.
Anyway, just wanted to let that out...wish me luck, everybody. PLEASE! I might wind up putting this on the Bloopers board soon.......

Love,
Ingrid (with current shaking knees and swirling tummy)

Lety me congradulate you on taking the plunge. At least the stylist did a good job on it. I`ve seen a few too many botched really short haircuts where I work.

The nerves will pass as weill the teary feeling. You`ll probably get a lot of attention over the next few days, but as people get used to seeing you with short hair they will adapt. You will also get used to seeing yourself with short hair so all the mixed emotions will settle and you`ll still be the same Ingrid, just with shorter hair.
This one of my problems with becoming a hairdresser. The client will get all teary because of the cut I do, and because I`m so empathic twards people I`ll get teary as well and it will become a big tear fest.

You come off to me as a somewhat younger person (I`d guess high school) so your still young and experementing which is fun.

Good luck, and I don`t think you have to worry about putting it on the hair bloopers board.

Take care
Ed Azner
***Dressed_2_Kill*** View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ***Dressed_2_Kill*** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2002 at 5:27pm
good job ingrid! i bet it looks great!
=)
***jewls***
*** ><>JESUS RULES<><***
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2002 at 6:42am
Thanx guys! :) :) :)
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2003 at 12:26pm
Ingrid,

After I broke up with my boyfriend a little over a year ago, I went into a depression, and out of frustration and because I was angry and depressed I went to a beauty salon and had my waist length brunette hair cut off into a short bob, and a week later I went back and got it cut even shorter into a very short pixie, not much longer than a crewcut.
I really missed my long hair and I cried alot, I wondered what I had done, I thought I was a little crazy! I was very depressed and upset.
However, things have worked out well. Now my depression is gone, things have gone much better in recent months.

I actually got some compliments on my short pixie(you look cute, your new "do" is adorable, those sorts of comments), and I gradually adapted to having a very short haircut. It helped that many of my girlfriends and female co-workers also have short hairstyles so I wasn`t alone with short hair.
Two months after I got my hair cut short I met a great guy, a handsome, loving man who I fell in love with. We are now engaged and getting married this coming May.
So things do work out for the best, I am convinced of that!
I go once a month to have my hair trimmed so it looks neat and not shaggy, I really like my hairstyle now, I have completely adjusted to it. I also think it is important, as you mentioned, to make the most of a short hairstyle by being and dressing very feminine. I wear two earrings in each ear and always wear nice earrings and I also wear a nosestud in my left nostril. I went shopping after I got my haircut and bought some nice skirts, blouses and dresses. I always wear makeup, jewelry and dress feminine. I actually feel more feminine now than I did before !
So things have worked out well for me and I hope things go well for you.
It takes guts to try something different but to me it has been worth it, I have adjusted to it.

Best wishes and a happy New Year Ingrid!
Lady Maria
Joy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2003 at 12:49pm
Ingrid,

I wear my hair short and I have never felt unfeminine. This is 2003, many women wear their hair short, it is common, and they are feminine women. If we weren`t feminine why do we have boyfriends or husbands. Why do many fashion s wear their hair short?
This is the 21st century, women can wear their hair how they want!
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2003 at 10:40pm
Congrats!
Britney15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Britney15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2003 at 7:30pm
Hi Ingrid

I have been thinking about going short and I need your opinion about ever since you got your hair cut really, really short how do you like your hair now compared to before you went short? because my hair is just past chin length and I might go short like a pixie cut or similar to your hair cut which sounds awesome or a bob with a buzzed nape but I haven`t decided on what to do with my hair yet and thats why I`m asking for advise on the Teen Hair message board and also your advise about your new hair cut.....

Britney
Britney15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Britney15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2003 at 7:30pm
Hi Ingrid

I have been thinking about going short and I need your opinion about ever since you got your hair cut really, really short how do you like your hair now compared to before you went short? because my hair is just past chin length and I might go short like a pixie cut or similar to your hair cut which sounds awesome or a bob with a buzzed nape but I haven`t decided on what to do with my hair yet and thats why I`m asking for advise on the Teen Hair message board and also your advise about your new hair cut.....

Britney
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2003 at 12:24pm
Hey everyone!
Thanx sooooo much for your encouragement and support- I`m still getting used to having my hair this short...its a major adjustment. However, I`m kinda liking it. Its very easy to deal with; it only takes about 2-3 minutes to wash & condition it, and maybe 5-10 minutes to style, depending on how I want it to look. The bummer is that with it being this short, there aren`t as many ways to style it. I`ve always been a big fan of accessories, and when it was longer I loved to mess around with clips and headbands and barrettes and stuff and wear it different ways, and now there isnt as much to do with it. :( Oh,well, at least it isn`t frizzy or hard to control! :) I`ve NEVER had to spend so little time on my hair before.
As for how it looks, well I`m still getting used to it. On the good side, I like the way it shows off my neck (its kinda long & narrow and its one of my only features that I really like). I love to wear high necklaces and chokers and they look really good now. Also, since I can`t hide any part of my face behind my hair, I`ve been getting creative with makeup and earrings, etc., and its kinda pushed me to discover new ideas that I wouldn`t have thought of before, so I guess having less hair has gotten me to be more adventurous with other parts of my style. On the bad side, I kinda miss my hair! There are times when I want to hide behind it and I can`t. Altho I`m a makeup junkie I dont like being obligated to use it if I don`t feel like it, and if I don`t I look really plain and kinda boyish. Also, I feel wierd wearing more boyish or unisex kinda clothes (which I like to do) cuz I don`t look like a girl some of the time. I know its mostly just a mental thing, but its difficult to think around it. I always kept my hair at least chin-length because I thought it made me look like a gal and now I have to break that way of thinking. I`ve bawled several times after looking in the mirror, but not as much cuz I don`t like my hair now as much as I feel so strange without it. Make sense? Or am I just whining?
Anyway, thanx again to everyone for the support & encouragement. I`m glad that there`s other people who like short hair and feel comfortable with it...I`m sure I`ll get used to it in time.

Lotsa Love and Big Hugs,
Ingrid

PS- Britney, I`m leaving you a message on your TeenHair post, OK? :)
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2003 at 8:46pm
A couple of things Ingrid:
There are , of course, different types of short or very short styles of hair. The key is to find the short style that looks best on you!
I wear a very short pixie style, I think it looks good on me. If I was to wear a short curly style or something like that, I think it would look less good on me. But that is just me, you have to decide what is right FOR YOU!

Also, you are still a teenager, and there is still some pressure for teenage girls to have somewhat longer hair, but believe me once you get out of high school the pressure is off about that. Adult women wear their hair in a variety of styles including short and very short.
My guess is the more mature boys in your school won`t judge you by your short hair and may even like it! And that could work to your advantage, you might meet a better, more well rounded, type of guy.
Best wishes Ingrid!
Lady Maria
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic