Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chemical Smell?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
crystalsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystalsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemical Smell?
    Posted: December 01 2008 at 8:10pm
Is it normal that the chemical smell still stay on your hair for 2 weeks after japenese thermal straightening?  I washed it for about 10 times until I could finally washed off the horrible chemical smell.  Does any hair relaxer chemical cause damage to your brain, cancer, disease, or memory?  Can I get the process done again in 5 months?

Thanks so much!!
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 6:10am

Hi Crystalsi. Wow, I haven't been here in a while. To answer your question, no, it is not "normal to have that chemical smell in your hair for 2 weeks. When that happens, that means your hair was not rinsed out properly. When rinsing out Thio (the chemical in TR) the water has to be the right temperature. Not to hot and not too cold. If it is too warm it will render the process useless, and if it is too cold it will cause the hair cuticle to close, traping the chemical inside before it can be rinsed out. Therefor that nasty smell will linger for days, or even weeks.

Sounds like the person doing your hair is not a chemical expert. But don't worry, the smell goes away. I'm just worried about the damage it may have caused. Well, hope it all goes well.

As far as brain damage, no, you won't get any, or cancer or memory loss. However, if you worry about it too much, you will get anxiety, which can cause loss of sleep, memory problems etc. I know hair is a very emotional thing. But over worrying will only make things worse. Remember, stress can cause hair loss, which only adds to the problem.

Much blessings, and great hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic