Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How often do you wash your hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MEME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MEME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often do you wash your hair?
    Posted: April 28 2003 at 6:57am
I have heard it is healthier to was every other day than to wash everyday. My question is for those of you that wash every other day or less. How do you style your hair on the days in between and what do you do about dirt and oil? I go to the gym on a daily basis and my hair gets pretty saturated so it really needs washed. What I do is wash and condition at night (allsoft) and just wet it down in the morning to put some product in it to style. Is washing everyday ruining my hair? I do use the blowdryer every morning but not for long periods of time. Anyway, I was just curious. Thanks
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 7:17am
Another All Soft fan here! I wash my hair every 2-3 days because it's pretty dry and actually looks better on day #2 or #3. I dry it straight with a paddle brush, gel and serum, but regardless it always looks a little puffy and frizzy the first morning. By midday it settles down and looks pretty good by night. Mornings #2 and #3 are great because I don't have to do ANYTHING to it, just run a brush through once and I'm all set.

If you're pleased with your current routine and aren't experiencing dryness, there's probably no reason for you to shampoo less often. Some shampoos contain rather harsh cleansing agents such as TEA/sodium lauryl sulfate and olefin sulfate, and those can certainly dry hair out the more you use them. Personally, shampooing less than daily works great for me, but I'm combating dryness.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 7:32am
I only wash my hair once a week, on Sundays, using either herbs or clay.

However, on Wednesdays I apply fresh lemon juice to my scalp and rinse it out with water.

If I exercise and get sweaty headed, I simply rinse with hot and then cold water.

Uzi

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 9:53am
Yikes, I can't imagine not washing my hair every single day (I even washed it right after I had both my kids). My mother-in-law has super curly hair though and she only washes it about twice a week. She says the longer she goes without washing it the better it looks and I think she is right. I think it depends on the texture and thickness of your hair, and how active you are. If I work out after I have my shower in the morning, I have to wash my hair again. Since I live in an extremely humid climate, sometimes in the summer I have to wash it twice a day to keep from looking greasy.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 10:45am
I usually wash it every day. I cannot stand it if my hair is even a little bit greasy. But I have heard you can train your scalp to go without washing a bit longer. I really should start trying that, because washing long hair daily is a bit timeconsuming, considering the time it takes to dry and my not wanting to use a blowdryer.

But I agree with demodoll, how fast your hair becomes greasy definitely depends on the climate and how active you are. Air pollution is no friend of clean hair either.
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 11:24am
I wash my hair every 2 days as well. It just doesn't seem to be too oily the second day to need a washing. But if I don't wash it on the third day, then I can really feel the grime.

Since you said that your hair gets saturated when you workout, it would be a good idea to wash your hair every day, so you can wash away the excess oil, you don't want that to build up on your scalp.
MEME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MEME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 1:44pm
Thanks for the responses. My hair is getting kinda dry and I think it is because I wash so much but I don't know what else to do. I don't think I could stand not washing everyday. I also live in a humid climate, sweat a lot. Not to sound gross but after one day my scalp itches terribly. Should I be using some oils on the ends where it is dryest maybe? I do get regular trims and I use good products but maybe there is something else I need to be using?
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 4:04pm
i wash my hair every other day. sometimes less if i don't have the time but then i make sure to wear it up so the oiliness is not as noticeable.
i think oiling the ends would be a good thing to try. it doesn't work for everyone but it had been great for my hair. I use 100% jojoba oil from the ears down. I also use the jojoba oil to do a gentle scalp massage once a week.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 6:56pm
I don't like my hair the day I wash it.

I'm with Lyris...My hair looks better the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th day, in the winter.

My wave settles down, I have more styling product in my hair and I like that texture better. The styling products we have now, are so wonderful...light, clean, flexible hold brushable even with my 3 day's worth of products layered on.

I have very dry skin in general, I wish I had more oil.

Some shampoos seem to keep hair cleaner longer.
My daughter with her 15 year old oily skin swears the Alterna shampoo gets her an extra day or two.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2003 at 1:21pm
My daughter found a shampoo for oily scalp but dry hair if you can believe that. It is Italian and I don't have the name of the manufacturer but she found it in a salon and the directions were not in english. She has oily scalp but bleached blonde hair and this is working very well for her.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2003 at 11:35am
true true
it depends on what kind of weather you have
I live in a tropical climate, very humid, very very sticky and greasy, but d*****t i cant seem to stop washing everyday. it just feels dirty, by not washing it. s**t i shower 3 times a day because weather is unbearable. Other than drying does overwashing your hair gives any side effects
ARGHH
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2003 at 9:12pm
I am the same way. Humidity is not hair friendly. Maybe condition just about half way down your hair and keep washing it every day. That way you keep your scalp clean but don't damage the hair itself. Before I started living in humidity that was how I combatted the daily washing problem. Now though I wouldn't dream of ever using conditioner, not even after coloring.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2003 at 10:28pm
Hi,

I personally shampoo my hair everyday. My hair is about 1/3 down my back and is naturally curly. As many of you already know that the nature of natural curls is to be dry. When I do not shampoo every day the air pulls the moisture right out of it. (air; central heat and air inside) Shampooing with the proper shampoo (mine is All-Soft) can replace it with the proper moisture, not the dirty greasy stuff that comes from your scalp. Think about it, would you take the oils from your face (T-zone are) and use it as a skin moisturizer? yuck.

Granted some people do not have to shampoo everyday because thier scalp does not produce alot of oil.

I know alot may not agree with me but I do have my hands in about 30-40 different heads of hair a week.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
MEME View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MEME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2003 at 7:32am
Demodoll, Is conditioner bad for your hair? WHy don' t you like to use it? Just curious. I condition everyday and I don't think I could get a comb through my hair if I didn't.

MEME
bluebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2003 at 11:30am
I used to have to wash my hair everyday, I felt like I had just woke up all day if i didn't. But wiithin the last few years I have found that going 2,3 sometimes 4 days without washing, my hair looks thicker, holds the curl better. (I always had to dirty up my hair to get it to curl).

The way I dscovered this was an accident, I had an early morning appt and just didn't have time to wash, dry & style, so I just plugged in the curling brush and hoped for the best...I was going to the horse arena so it didn't really matter if it looked bad. Plus, i was using Millefollium on my scalp to darken it so it didn't look so thin and it takes a bit longer to put that stuff on (I won't go out without it). I was pleasantly surprised at how well my hair curled and looked and held all day, plus the millifollium was lasting twice as long. Call me cheap, I don't care.

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2003 at 2:54pm
No, conditioner is not bad for your hair. It can, to some degree, ward off damage by coating the hair shaft with emollients. However, using it on your scalp/roots can feel pretty greasy on the 2nd or 3rd day, if you're going to try skipping shampoos.
Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2003 at 7:34am
I wash every other day (or more often if I've been swimming or sweating a lot). If I don't wash my hair every other day, the top of my head looks greasy. Ugh.
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
willsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 3:16am

Good information.  Thanks for sharing the info.

Edited by Karen Shelton - July 04 2011 at 9:48pm
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 5:54pm
I wash everyday.  I can't stand to have greasy or dirty hair.  I love having clean fresh smelling hair.
Shannon D. Bax
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic