Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I get my blond highlights with no red?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I get my blond highlights with no red?
    Posted: June 12 2003 at 11:00am
Hi all. In the middle of March this year, I went to my now old salon and got blond highlights. However, I previously had red and blond highlights. I wanted to go back to just blond tho. So my colorist put brown right on top of red and some blond on the red also, then highlighted the other hair blond. I went to my new salon and was getting my hair trimmed and asked the stylist if my highlights looked brassy. She said no, but the places where my old colorist put blond on top of red and brown on top of red, it had turned reddish. I can see the red. It doesn't look hideous, but the color looks somewhat muddy, with my natural brown hair color growing in too. Also, she used too strong bleach and my hair was very damaged and brittle up until now when I've started using Crede conditioner. However, I think my hair is healthy enough to do it again. My new stylist said to correct my red tones, I'd have to have a filler put in and the then blond highlights. What the heck is a filler? Is that the same as a toner? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
cj_14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj_14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2003 at 3:13pm
You are playing Russian roulette.....why change stylist???? Take your problem to the person who knows something about it....the person who did it.....After 30 some years in the hair industry I still don't understand why, when you have a problem ou take it to someone who does not have a clue about what has been done in the past.....it is so helpful in finding pleasing relsults.....
Kgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2003 at 4:34pm
Hi there CJ!

Thanks for answering my post. Unfortunately, I think you answered it a bit too late . On Saturday night, I dyed my hair a medium golden brown shade from L'Oreal Preference and now have brown hair with reddish tones, with some of my old highlights peeking through. See, I was trying to get rid of the red of which I spoke of in that post. So in an attempt to save money, I dyed it at home. Needless to say, the results weren't quite what I expected and I regret somewhat to a degree that I did it. But live and learn, right?

The reason why I do not want to go back to my old hair stylist is because I think she cares more about making a profit off of my hair then actually caring about it. She never warned me about the "dangers" of highlighting with the bleach she used. Plus I can't go back there anyway because my mother refuses to me let go back there due to a dispute between the hair stylist and hair. However, your reasons are valid. I just don't want to go back to her again.

I won't be highlighting for awhile though...still have things that need to be thought out. For now I will concentrate on deep conditioning and keeping it in good shape.

Kristin
CrazyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2003 at 8:28pm
Hi Kgirl,

A couple of months ago, I decided to change my haircolor from highlighted to just a brown and then dyed it again with brown a day after to get rid of the highlights completely (I did it at home). Well, I wasn't satisfied so I dyed it black after a couple of days. Dyeing my hair black (I learned the hard way) was a big mistake. Never ever dye your hair black unless you want to stick to it. Anyhow, I went to my hair stylist (I am very fortunate to have her), she was shocked and amused and angry that I touched my hair! I guess, some hair stylists - if you have been going to them for a quite a while they get really teritorrial... ehehehe. Anyhow, to soften my very black hair, she weaved some brown highlights. Came out ok, plus she deeped conditioned my hair while telling me to not ever touch my hair ever! LOL. She told me to come back a month after so she can fix it more. I came back, we tried to lighten the whole hair but still no luck. This was a saturday, she told me to come back the next day (which is a Sunday, eventhough she is closed on Sundays) to fix my hair some more and deep condition and cut. I am glad to have her as my hair stylist. Most of the time too, if she isn't satisfied, and wants me to come back, she won't charge me until she is satisfied. I love her so much, I always give her huge tips... I will never change hair stylist!

I hope you find someone that will really care about your hair... I think you should trust your instinct, if you feel that she doesn't care and that she just wants to make money off you... then I maybe it's time to go somewhere else. This is just my thought. Goodluck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic