Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do you call them?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
andi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you call them?
    Posted: June 13 2003 at 4:26pm
Silly question, but I thought I'd ask it :-)

In the UK, we call two ponytails, one on either side of the head 'bunches' and call them 'pigtails' if they are plaited.

Are we the only nation who use this term, or use plaited instead of braided for that matter? It seems as those most people use 'pigtails' if they are braided or not.

Are there any other hair terms which seem to be unique to one nation or another?

''A single open mind
can open any door'
Sonia Rutstein
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2003 at 10:05pm
Hey,

We call the two ponytails....well .....pony tails.

Pig tails are two braids on either side of the head, not in the ponytails.

Do you use the term cowlick, for the little tuft of hair in the front of the hair that sticks straight up?

Oh yea, keep in mind that people in different parts of the US might have different words for these terms. For example, Do you know what actually happens to an animal in the south when it "gets fixed"??
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2003 at 10:22pm
In the northern U.S where I live two ponytails are called pigtails, braided or not.
tina
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 7:29am
Interesting colloquialisms we've got here! In Michigan two ponytails are pigtails (or at least they were when I was in high school a few years ago) and braids were just....braids.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 7:30am
Lilibeach...do I do ask what happens to a fixed animal?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
alp1990 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alp1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 3:23pm
Funny enough, I will be getting my new puppy fixed on friday.
"fixed"= no reproducing, no spraying all over my house, no marking his territory, escaping my backyard to find a "friend because he's lonely....
ejay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 7:29pm
*dont fix the puppy - let him hang free*

i was thinking the same thing about bangs vs fringe..... where did the term bangs come from?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 9:04pm
Well...that's what we call spay/neutering up north (fixing, that is) but I thought there might be an alternate meaning down south....dare I find out...
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 9:24pm
Getting your dog or cat "fixed" is to spay or neuter.
Which I highly reccomend for all animals to help control the pet population.

Next question: What does this mean? "Ima fixen go off" ( in the south that is)
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 7:15am
To leave???

I had a friend from Texas and she was always "fixin'" to do something. I thought it was the cutest regionalism I'd heard in awhile...so novel up here in Michigan.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 7:34am
Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!!

You are right!!!!!!

Hey Stylists, Have you ever had an older client tell you they want a shag? And you are thinking the cute little "flipping up in the back" cut and they really mean "just layered". Another one is a "gypsy". Apparently in the 60's, it was just a long layered cut. Or a lady over 65 wanting a "body wave" and you are thinking biege rod and up and they are thinking pink rod. This is where good communication comes in.
alp1990 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alp1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 9:14am
No hanging loose, must fix (neuter).
I feel bad but it's much better. He's so cute too. Just look at his pic below...
alp1990 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alp1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 9:32am
Oh Gosh, I had to add the pic to my profile for it to display. oh well, see the link below. Ain't he adorable?

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 9:44am
That has got to be the cutest dog I've ever seen.
alp1990 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alp1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 4:49pm
I know Lyris. I took him in on a trial basis, told my dad if it didn't work out I'd give it back, but I fell in love with him. He's so adorable and has that puppy smell, and loves to play and I could go on and on and on....Also goes everywhere but I'm working on that.
I love animals, got 2 dogs and 5 cats, oh yeah and 2 kids also . Nope, not crazy...just can't bare to see homeless animals.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic