Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Darn those Pantene commercials!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Darn those Pantene commercials!
    Posted: July 05 2003 at 5:18pm
I hate those commercials-every time I see them I am so tempted to run and out and buy those conditioners, even though I KNOW they will make my hair crappy. I guess I'm just waiting for a miracle. I especially hate the ones where the blond-haired woman repairs her hair with the deep fortifying treatment. Of course I ran out and got the conditioner and of course it made my hair dry and tangly. Anyone else feel that way about those commercials?
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 10:33pm
even though i don't feel like i wanna go out and buy their products, i do know what you mean about the blonde girl magically fixing horrible damage into perfect hair-ha! please...
astrogoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astrogoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2003 at 2:39am
from seeing all those commercials, I've noticed that NONE of those shots of the swishing shiny hair look natural, so I almost suspect they altered the shots digitally in a computer. No hair has that kind of shine to it. I think those commercials are quite misleading.

I have the texture of hair that requires very light shampoos and conditioners, so i try to steer clear of these products that have all these 'super-strength' and 'extra moisture' slogans because 1. i don't need moisture because it would make my hair gross and oily and 2. often times when there is more 'strength' in a chemical, more is left over.

My trials with Pantene products have never had very wonderful results but maybe its just too much stuff going onto my hair that it really doesn't need.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2003 at 7:30am
Pantene may not make a miracle cure but their ad agency works magic. Most people well versed in hair products know that Pantene is just one of many, many lines out there with slightly harsh shampoos and silicone-heavy (but possibly effective) conditioners.

The thing that caught my eye in the "deep fortifying" spot was the model's dress: what a brilliant shade of blue! But nevermind. I find it funny how she muses, "My hair is fried..." and then she lets her ponytail down to reveal....really nice hair. Heck, if she thinks THAT'S fried, allow me to introduce MY burned out mane! Of course after Pantene works its magic her hair is blindingly shiny (shellacked, as my friend said after watching) and carefully manicured, styled and photographed.

The phrase that irks me the most is the "repair three months of damage!" claim. Please. Research has established that no topic treatment can repair hair since it's essentially dead cells. The average consumer doesn't know this--and doesn't want to believe this. As long as we think repairing heat, chemical and color damage is possible, we'll keep buying "deep fortifying treatments."

I have to wonder how many women actually believe their hair will end up like the model's if they only spend $4.97 on Pantene. I think deep down a lot of us know that this ideal end result is only possible with a team of trained stylists, perfect lighting and a LOT of silicone spray, but that doesn't stop us from trying. Love or hate Pantene, they've got one heck of a marketing team.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Benji the Sausage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benji the Sausage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2003 at 6:07pm
i used pantene from the time i was 3 to about 13. it made my hair really nice and shiney.

my hair reacts well to silicons and things like that. no matter what i do it never gets dry or breaks really.
BSL/Blonde/Chemically Treated (abused)
1b/cMii
I swear by Redken Extreme and Shea Butter.
cara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 6:44pm
Pantene works well on me too - I have medium textured, fairly thick, wavy-curly hair that is color-treated, so I use their Color Revival shampoo and the corresponding conditioner. For deep conditioning I use a bit of the conditioner that comes with either the Excellence or Preference box haircolor. Both of those are good, and I don't have to buy another product. My hair is in good shape, even my haircutter commented on it! He's one of the few who doesn't automatically slam Pantene, even though he has products for sale in his salon! But if someone's hair is really fried, yes, I believe it would take a heavier-duty professional level product and care to do the job! I don't have a TV, so I've only seen the print ads and their website.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 11:50pm
Here here, Kgirl! I agree!
I ranted about Pantene commercials about a month ago here:
http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP881778452&id=4671&sr1=pantene&sr2=&ExMth=no#post4700

Their expensive ad campaigns work though. It's probably the best selling line. Lies! All lies!

And also, there's no way Kelly Ripa uses Pantene. No frigging way!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 2:20pm
Do the girls on those commercials REALLY wear wigs? Wow! What false advertising. That's even worse than using a computer to do touch ups later (even though if the person's wearing a wig I'm sure they do lots of touch ups to make the hairline look natural).
Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
- M. Scott Peck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic