Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Extension - Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Karissa717 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karissa717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Extension - Questions
    Posted: June 16 2009 at 12:41pm
Hi All, I am fairly new to hair extensions.  My first question is this.  Has anyone had their hair done by a Christina Oliva out of NY?  hairgoddessofny.com?  If so, would love any input on her method and if there was any damage.   Second question, in your opinion, what is the best method for hair extensions if I want to give my hair a break and let it grow long?  I have done the sew in method, but I always seem to take them off a week later cause I cannot deal with the itch!!!  lol.  Also, what is the best hair to buy that will not tangle right away?  Thank you so much - Karissa
disasterbarbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 2:16pm
The best hair, I believe, is Bohyme. Clip-ins would be the best method if you want to let your hair grow out.

I've heard of Christina from doing a google search but I don't know much about her. I'd make sure to ask where she's getting her hair from, what her prices are, etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karissa717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 2:22pm
Thanks for replying!  I heard of Bohyme, but there are so many that come up when I do my google search.  Do they come premade with clip ons?  I only saw it on wefts.  Thats all I know about Christina as well - based on her website, she charges about 1500 for length alone.  But I heard the hair lasts for forever.  But who knows. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 2:55pm
Wow, $1,500.00 IMO is a little pricey. What do you mean by length alone? As I stated below, I'm trying to start a little business for myself and I wasn't planning on charging that much at all. I'm always a little fishy about what these people are really using as far as hair. I've had some who won't tell me at all and IMO, that's just plain fishy.

Most hair can last forever if you take good care of it and it's good quality. I don't think Bohyme comes already on clips. You would have to find someone to do it for you or make it yourself.

I'm currently trying to work out a business for myself where I'd do installs and make clip-ins for others. But that's still a work in progress Smile. I used to make my own clip-ins all the time. It was so much fun, lol!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karissa717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 3:04pm
Hi!  Yea thats what I thought.  $1500 bucks!  Thats what the website says.  It basically says that if you want to change the length of your hair at all, the price starts at $1,500.  But I also noticed that one female got a full head of hair and the install for $1500.  Maintenance is between 400 and 500 bucks if you come before the 12 weeks.  I'm just not sure if I want to commit to it yet.  So confused!  I've made my own clip ons as well, but I hate it hahahaha.  I cant believe you like doing them!  I have naturally curly hair but I blow dry it.  Is there a certain style I should get?  I would prefer to get straight hair.  I have to figure out how to care for the hair extensions, everytime I get hair, it becomes tangled after just a few washes! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 3:19pm
12 weeks? I always thought that it was best not to wear any method for longer than 8. I could be wrong. I'd never go more than 8 weeks though. Sometimes, I'd even prefer six.. just like with my highlights hehe :).

If you're going for Bohyme, I'd get the silky straight. My hair is curly as well but soft curls. I used the Bohyme silky straight and even when I got lazy and didn't want to blow dry my hair, the silk straight dried slightly wavy so it didn't look bad. I'm personally not a fan of the wave or curl styles as I'd rather just have it straight and then style it however I'd like. I'm guessing you can do that with the waves but I think that would defeat the purpose if you know what I mean.

As far as tangling, make sure you condition well (but not around the bonds or tracks). Also, wrapping your hair in a silk scar will help keep tangles out while you sleep. Your best bet is just to keep an eye on it. Even my natural hair tangles during the day so I just run my fingers through it every so often to keep them out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karissa717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 7:39am

Well she said up to 12 weeks.  I would think its better to go atleast up to 7 weeks.  I believe this girl uses a tiny bead, but I am concerned.  I just wonder if it is damaging.  I don't see how it cant be.  It seems like once you start washing your hair, it will take forever to dry since its in a tiny bead and then eventually it will start to tangle, but I could be wrong.  I have no idea what to do!

I'm going to research the bohyme hair - any good websites?  There's so many.  How long in your opinion has this hair lasted?  I would go with the silky straight myself.  Any good conditioners that you use?  Thank you so much for the help you have been giving me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 9:35am
No problem, I'm happy to share advice with you.

I'm thinking she uses micro-beads. I believe that's what they're called. I've played around with these before and they have a silicone layer on the inside. The bead is smushed down so it lays flat on your hair. It's similar to strand by strand glue methods so I don't think they will tangle together.

I think that any hair extension can be damaging. It depends on your hair as well. Of course there are some ladies who get great results with little damage. I think it also depends on who installs them and the care they put into it. Almost everything we do to our hair is damaging.. blow drying, flat ironing, styling etc so damage is almost unavoidable. I do think, however, that you can have extensions and come out of the process with minimal, normal "damage".

I still have my Bohyme as well as my D-lux hair. I don't use it anymore but it always held up and stayed beautiful. I have no complaints. I can't remember exactly what I used on the hair itself but on my own hair I love Matrix Biolage products. They smell wonderful and do wonders on my hair! I can imagine them only doing great things for the bohyme, or whatever hair it is you're using :).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karissa717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 10:18am
Hi Melissa!  My birthday is on 7/17 hahaha.  I'll def remember your birthday!!  I am going to try and contact that other school in Queens and see what information they might have.  I'll let you know if I get anything before you get home later.  That would be fantastic if they offer the natural hairstyling license.  I live in NJ, but I'll make it work somehow.  Keep me posted should you hear anything before I do.

Pertaining to the hair extensions, I am assuming as well that they are microbeads.  I'm not certain however.  My hair is naturally curly, coarse.  I would love to give this woman a shot, but I am always afraid of damage and tangling at the root, but they do say that if you stick to your maintenance before the weeks are up, you're fine.  She charges between 400 and 500 for maintenance and thats pretty pricey as well.  I gotta figure things out!  I've only done hair weaves 3 times.  The sew in method, but I couldn't take it cause of the itchy scalp.  How was your experience with the beads?  I have some damage to my hair due to blow drying and straightening irons, but my hair overall is in pretty decent shape for the amount of stuff I do to it.  How is the D Lux in comparison to Bohyme?  If I do the clip ons, I'm definitely getting the Bohyme hair.  If I go to this woman, I'll stick to whatever hair she uses.  From my research on google, most of the women have been using that hair for over a year already so that sounds good to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 10:41am
Haha, how funny is that! Ok, great. Deff let me know if you hear anything. Well the schools in Queens is actually located somewhere in NYC. I forgot the address but I'm guessing it's probabaly right at the tip.. similar to the location of the school in China Town.

I've actually never installed the beads on my own hair, just on the mannequin. So I can't give you a personal experience and unfortunately, my mannequin can't talk so.. lol!! LOL.

I've always really liked the d-lux but I think it's a hit or miss for everyone. The boyhme is very expensive for i-tips or u/v-tips. Christina (I wrote her an email) said she uses about 150 tips per customer. From my own research, it seems like 200-250 tips is the best way to go. That would be about $700-$800 worth of hair in Bohyme! I don't know if she's using Bohyme but if she was, I guess her prices really aren't too outrageous as we first though. She's making about $700 - $ 800 profit so it's not that bad. I wish she had some pictures of her installs, that'd be nice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 12:36pm
Hey,

I spoke with Christina some more. She says there's no website for her importer and it's only a #. I asked if she would give me more info so we shall see what she says.

Personally, I'd want to know where my hair was coming from especially for that price. How do I know she's not getting it at a discount? And.. all her hair claims to be virgin. I find that strange especially for light light blondes. I mean most blondes have dyed hair to some extent.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karissa717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 12:59pm

hey you!  I was at lunch Tongue.  I am going to be calling those schools by this afternoon and I'll let you know what I find out.  Maybe we can go together.  I would love to get this license as soon as possible.  Ohhhh - christina has her own website.  www.hairgoddessny.com - she has some pictures - before and after but its kind of tough to tell what kind of job she did.  I've heard so many good things about her though.  Her website definitely does not say where she gets the hair from though.  Was she hesitant about telling you?  I personally would like to know myself as well.  Her website says that a deposit of $700 for the hair alone is required.  Sounds about the same price as the bohyme hair but what do I know - I'm fairly new with this!  What is your impression of her?  I would like to ask her some additional questions myself. 

BTW you are silly about the mannequin not talking to you LOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 1:42pm
No prob! Are you at work? I am... bleh!! Great, I'm excited to hear what they tell you. And totally! That would be awesome to go with someone I was already friendly with. For me though, I'd be looking to start in September. I have a lot going on this Summer so I might be a little too tied up. Besides, I want to make sure I get the most out of it, you know?

She's very nice. She doesn't really sound hesistant. She said after I looked at the sample bundles she has on hand, she could also give me clients to speak with. Personally, I'd like to see close up pictures. I saw the before and after gallery. Some installs look better than others.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karissa717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 2:14pm

Yes I'm at work unfortunately ughhh!  I work at an insurance company full time and then work at a spa twice a week.  I def wouldn't mind going to school for the natural hairstyling in September.  I just finished Esthetics school in December, and def could use a break from the state testing!!

Christina seemed very nice.  Did she get back to you with any other information regarding the hair?  She has sample bundles in her home?  I have an appt for a consultation on Saturday but not sure if I want to go yet, I will let her know by today or tomorrow morning the latest.  THe pictures on her website do absolutely nothinig for me.  I would prefer head on and close up pictures myself. 

So right now you are using clip ons?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 2:40pm

I work for a real estate company, full time as well. I was always debating about whether or not to go to cosmo school but it's so much time that I really don't want to dedicate right now. Plus, I'm not so much interested in coloring and cutting. Hair extensions is so much more exciting and fun for me. Plus, I feel like there will always be a large demand for them. I'm also condidering learning how to make wigs.

Yeah, she deff seems very nice and polite. Someone else may have been snotty or questioned why I had so many questions.  The only other question I asked if she would have 613 blonde available. She said yes but I find that hard to believe as 613 is one of the lighest blondes before pure white. I'm not sure how easy that would be to find in virgin hair. She is saying that all her hair is virgin.

I agree, her pictures do nothing for me either. I think some of the hair even looks ratty in one or two of the pictures.

Go to www.yourhairshop.com and look at the tutorials. There you can see how Kristin (the owner) does some really beautiful and neat bonds. Too bad they're in California. Her prices are really cheap too, I think the most expensive individuals are $699 and that's for bohyme. I'm wondering if she just get it's cheap because she owns a salon. I'm not sure. Another user on here told me that it's hard to get bohyme at a discount unless you order a large amount so I'm not sure.

Right now I'm not using anything. I used the clip-ons for awhile but as my hair got longer I just started wearing it natural. My hair isn't perfect but I do love it! Plus it's much easier to go without the clip ins. I'm also inbetween hair colors right now (going back to blonde from dark) so my hair is a mix of colors. Maybe in the future I'd wear clip-ins again but for now I'm enjoying just seeing how long my natural hair is!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karissa717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 8:21am
Good Morning!

Sorry it took me so long to reply.  I'm planning my mother's birthday party in August and am trying to get some ideas together for the cake decorator.  This cake is going to be amazing!  Anyway, I actually enrolled twice in cosmetology school and then backed out LOL.  I decided to just do skin care and makeup and I got laid off from my previous job in June while I was in school.  I finished in 6 months as opposed to 11 months because I was laid off from work.  Its not easy going to school 4 nights a week while having a full time job.  I may eventually go back and get my cosmetology license as well just to learn hair cutting.  I'm not interested in hair color, but I think it would be fantastic to get the natural hairstyling license and then be able to cut the extensions as well.  Hair extensions are ALWAYS in demand and you can definitely make money in it.  I would love to learn how to make the lace front wigs, a lot of women are wearing them these days also.  A great alternative to extensions. 

I didn't get a chance to contact the school yesterday, I got so busy at work and didn't get a chance to call.  Did you get any other information?  Did Christina get back in touch with you about the hair?  I may still go there Saturday for the consultation and to see some of the hair bundles.

My hair is a little above shoulder length, I would love to have my hair mid back.  This is why I want the extensions, BUT of course I want to go to a good person so that my hair doesn't get damaged in the process.  You are soooooooooo lucky to have your hair long.  How long did it take for it to grow out?  Is your hair the 613 color?  And she says she has it and its virgin?  Thats hard to believe!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karissa717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 8:26am
Oh btw have you ordered from "Your Hair Shop".  I'm surprised at some of the prices.  The pieces look great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 10:02am

Hey!

Good Morning.

That's weird.. my mom's birthday is in August too, lol!!

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to working full time and going to school but oh well. Sometimes you have to do it and just get it over with it. If you really want to go to Cosmo school, you should! I believe once you have your cosmo liscense you can do extensions too. I wouldn't mind but I just don't have the extra time to spend 1,000 hours there. Plus, I guess since I'm not really motivated nor want to learn color, nails, etc that makes me more against it lol! I believe I read that with a natural hairstyling liscense you can do light cuts such as shaping etc. So maybe not a full haircut but it seems like you'd be able to shape the natural hair as well as the extensions. Yup, so many women are wearing lace front wigs! I have a lot of Jewish women in my area and it seems that they favor just wigs in general. So having women in my community who actually already use wigs is for sure an advantage.

I sent an email to the school in China Town and haven't heard back from them. I'll see if I can give them a call today. I'm the secretary at my job so I hate to call someone and then have to put them on hold. Especially when it's a call not releated to my job.

The last email I got from Christina was about the 613 hair being virgin. I'm not 613 yet but it's my desired color for the future. She says it's still virgin and she doesn't offer fancy colors (pink, purple, etc) because those cannot be virgin. I don't know though, I just think virgin 613 hair with a lot of length to it would be way too hard to find. Darker virgin hair IMO is easier to find as there are more women with dark hair especially in the asian and indian communities which is where a lot of this hair comes from.

I'd go to the consultation and see what happens. I mean it's free so it's not like you have to pay anything or have to get the extensions. Plus, you can check out the hair she has in stock and also take a look at her hair. She says she is currently wearing a full head.

My hair took a long time to grow out but it was worth it. I had damaged my hair with bleaching so I cut it up to my collar bones in the summer of 2007. It's just now reaching the really long stage. I hope by the end of the year it will be at my desired length (or at least close to it). It doesn't really like it took two years but I guess it did. I think after it got past the really short point and I enjoyed wearing it down I just embraced that and didn't think so much about it growing. You can also take biotin, that's supposed to help promote stronger hair growth which can also speed up the process. Not by much but at least it's something.

Oh and yes, I have ordered several times from yourhairshop.com. I've used the d-lux hair before, not the tease. I love the d-lux hair, pretty good quality.

Edited by disasterbarbie - June 18 2009 at 10:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 11:04am
Karissa,

Bad news! :(. I called the center in Queens and they don't offer it anymore :(. And the other school in China Town says they never did offer it. Blah, I knew this was too good to be true. I am SO upset.

There has to be some other way around it. I mean how can they tell us we need this liscense and then the schooling is no where to be found!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 12:56pm
Ahh.. where are you?! I am so upset by the bad news lol!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic