Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - is there any1 here born in the 50s,or with knowledge of the 50s,60s,70s hairstyle fads?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is there any1 here born in the 50s,or with knowledge of the 50s,60s,70s hairstyle fads?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AmyJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is there any1 here born in the 50s,or with knowledge of the 50s,60s,70s hairstyle fads?
    Posted: August 08 2003 at 3:39am
if so, can i ask you a few questions?(its for my english assignment on fads and fashions of the past :hairstyles)the teacher says we have to have an interview so..please post
AmyJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2003 at 4:06am
since no1s online at the moment, ilol come back and check tomorrow. but in case anyone reads this and does know about the 60s, 70s, and 80s, please state your full name and if possible, answer these questions
1.which hairstyles were fashionable in the 50s, 60s &70s?
2.what did the 5 point hairdo look like?
3.which hairstyles were popular for men?
4.how did these hairstyles become popular?
5.what was the weirdestr hair trend during the 50s 60s, 70s ?
thanks for your time
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2003 at 2:16pm
Well, I was born in the '50s but I don't remember a whole lot about '50s hairstyles. From movies and stuff it seems like short but softly curled, sort of like Marilyn Monroe was very in. I remember my mom using bobby pins and brush rollers. In the '60s were the huge bushel basket teased hairdos. I think they came about out of convenience. Women would go to the beauty parlor once a week for a wash and set. It would be teased and sprayed so hard that it wouldn't move for an entire week. They slept on satin pillow cases and just sort of picked out their hair every morning (don't ask me what they did if they got sweaty but this was before working out was popular). It would look sort of rough by the end of the week but then an hour at the beauty parlor would restore the look. In the mid '60s the Twiggy short crop came in. Mia Farrow had it too. Toward the late '60s the long straight hair, parted in the middle and stringing down the back came in. It was never trimmed and could look pretty bad. Some girls with curls actually even ironed their hair. Then as the '70s came into being people were going more and more natural so if your hair was really curly you could have a big, bushy afro and be right in style (think Arlo Guthrie). The long straight was still stylish as were long loose waves. I guess long was really in. Toward the end of the decade Farrah Fawcett came on the scene and everyone began getting layers and those who didn't have naturally big hair began getting those awful frizzy perms. I think maybe mullets were born around that time for both men and women. Shags were quite popular too, mostly due to Jane Fonda's hair in Klute. The '80s were all about big, structured hair. Lots of awful perms, claw bangs, big mall hair.

As far as men go, '50s were conservative so crew cuts, flat tops, and very short hair were in. There was also a "greaser" contingent with long hair slicked back with Brill Cream. The back of the hair was long and called a duck tail. The '60s saw Elvis and then the Beatles with longer hair so all the guys began to grow their hair (for months on end with not even a trim). By the '70s guys had pony tails and huge 'fros. If you look at pictures from back then you will notice that regular salon visits were not the norm for anyone. No one got color and everyone was sort of scraggly. The '80s became the decade when hairstylists really came of age IMHO. People suddenly were willing to pay huge amounts of money for hair styling, coloring, perming, and were willing to go to the salon alot. The beauty parlor became the beauty salon and beauticians became stylists. They also became stars in way that hasn't stopped yet.

I don't know what a five point cut is. I was a kid until the mid '70s when I started college so this is just impressions from having lived back then. I guess the wierdest thing was those frizzy, terrible perms if you want my opinion. Even guys were getting them and they really looked quite awful as evidenced by the fact that not too many people get them regularly anymore. I also think the beehive and bushel basket teased 'dos from the '60s were pretty bizarre. Not to touch your hair for a week is kind of nasty to me. I knew lots of ladies whose hair was teased so high they couldn't scratch their heads with a finger and had to use implements such as pencils. There are still a few throw backs to that era. My mother's sister, who is in her seventies, still goes once a week for the wash, set, tease, and spray. Nothing at all inbetween. Shooee.

Hope this helps.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2003 at 2:51pm
Wings. Wings were popular in the 70s and 80s. At least that's what we called them at the time. We also called them feathers. They are now generally called layers. Here is a website
with pics of feathered hairstyles.
http://www.featheredback.com/modernphotos.html
The hairstyles that are most represent the reality of the late 70s and early 80s are those worn by Christina Applegate, Lisa Robin Kelly and Ali Carter on that website. Peruse that website for more info on feathers/wings - they have actual yearbook pictures.

In the early 80s we loved wings and would have wings - one on each side of our head and try to get the feathers to meet up at the back of our head so there would be like a line going down the back of the head. This took a lot of work with the curling iron.

I also remember people wearing combs in their hair in the late 70s and early 80s to hold hair away from their face. They used a comb instead of a barrette. They still sell these combs in the hair section of Walmart. I almost never see people wearing these but they still sell them.

I remember people wearing some type of barrette that had feathers hanging off of it. This was late 70s early 80s too.

Caramia
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me."
AmyJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2003 at 5:48pm
wow!thanks so much!(i didnt expect anyone to reply)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic