Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Change of careers.....looking for feedback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change of careers.....looking for feedback
    Posted: March 11 2004 at 7:49am
Hi HairBoutique people. I'm a male 36 years old and for 12 years I've worked in the technology industry on computer software and I've made a nice career of it. However the industry itself is a very cyclical industry and every 5 years it goes thru a recession in business. This past December the company I worked for closed permanently and I've lost my job. I live on the East Coast and the job market here for computer software is almost non-existant versus California where the jobs are plentiful. Being married my wife and I both have families here and a move to the west coast isn't really an option at this point. I've contemplated going to cosmetology school as I think there is a good opportunity in the distribution end of that industry as well as working in an upscale salon. Does anyone have any experience in the distribution end of the industry and any thoughts on going into that end of the business as well as working as a stylist?

As crazy as it sounds I'm also concerned of the monacher that gets attached to male hair stylists as I don't fall into that category....Lol. I'm 100% Heterosexual and love women :) I think the thing that appeals to me and hair styling is being able to provide a service to someone and make them feel good about themselves. Learning cosmetology is something I would like to do but I'm a tad bit hesitant. I know it sounds crazy for a guy 36 yrs old to be a little nervous about it but it's the truth but something I think I would be very good at and something I know I'd enjoy doing. Any feedback is appreciated. I'm not a wierdo like some of the oddballs posting on this forum regarding Hair Enthusiasts and stuff like that. Thanks in advance for your prompt reply.

Kind Regards
Claude
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2004 at 4:51am
Claude - The man who trimmed my hair last works at Saks 5th Ave Salon. He charged me 40.00 to trim the tips of my hair (took 5 mins) it would have been 20 more to blowdry, but I was on my way to the gym....He is extremely hetero and his laughing his way to the bank probably.

No, you need to look further into yourself to deal with this hang up....It is your problem...the world definitely does not think that all men who cut hair are gay....

Not that there is anything wrong with being gay.

jacqui
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic