Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping hair inside a riding hat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping hair inside a riding hat
    Posted: March 25 2004 at 4:17pm
Hi, this is my first time here, I don't usually visit hair sites LOL! My hair is just around shoulder length and very thick. I've just switched to eventing (horse riding type stuff) and hope to compete later this year in competitions and stuff. My mom's signed me up with an instructor. She's told me that my hair is too long and that I need to cut it short or make sure it stays well under my hat when competing - apparently you can lose points for not looking well turned out. I don't really want to cut it, not yet for sure, until I know that I am going to compete maybe really seriously, and even then I'm not sure. But what can I do? I tried pushing my hair under my hat when I got home today but bits fall out and my hat doesn't sit right either. I know girls must have long hair who ride (well some of them have short hair), so I tried to google on the net. But I can't find any ideas of what they do. So I found this site and thought maybe someone here has suggestions. I don't know much about hair stuff though, I don't even tie mine back at all, so I am looking for some simple ideas. Can someone tell me what I should do, other than cutting it. Thx Andy
ballet dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballet dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2004 at 7:08pm
You could put it in a bun under the hat or braid it maybe.
Go for it change is good. :)
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 1:01pm
Thanks Ballet Dancer. I've really never taken much interest in hair and stuff before. I feel kind of shy being here, being a guy and all. I guess I will have to get over that if I'm going to not cut my hair. I looked at more sites yesterday to get some ideas and they kind of said the same stuff as you did. One thing I hadn't thought of is how what I do affects the fit of my helmet. One site said:

C1.6 Size and fit
Selecting the correct size and fit of helmet is crucial. For children, never select a helmet that is too large on the basis that they will ‘grow into it’.
Bulky hairstyles and wearing hair ‘up’ may reduce helmet stability.
When wearing a helmet always have the retention system done up.
Read the manufacturer’s instructions on how to select and fit a helmet. Poor-fitting or
inappropriate helmets will not provide optimum protection.

And on another site:

HAIR can affect helmet fit. Before you begin shopping, arrange your hair in the way that you'll be wearing it when you ride. If you try on a helmet in the store with your hair down and loose, then try to ride with your hair in a high ponytail or French braid, the helmet may no longer fit! If you always school with your hair braided and tucked into your helmet, but like to wear it in a bun at the nape of your neck for competitions, or if you school with a braid down your back but like to have your hair up under your helmet for competitions, you may need two different helmets, or a single helmet with an adjustable fit system. And if you're planning to have your long hair cut short, have this done BEFORE you go shopping for your new helmet.

I hadn't even thought of going to a store with my hair fixed up. I thought I could just hide it under the helmet on riding days.

I read some info on the association rules where I will be competing in that the instructor gave me last night. It says in one part "long hair should be neatly confined and off the collar at all times." and then in another part "riders with long hair must wear hair nets or tie hair back in a braid or bun and secure hair inside their helmet." Also, they can refuse you to ride if the helmet doesn't fit right.

I wasn't too sure what a bun was when you said it. But I did a search on this site and saw some pix and got the idea. Kind of like what a ballet dancer has. I think I have seen some girls riding like that before.

I looked at pix of braids too. I am having to learn how to braid the horses main and tail right now. Do you mean like to just do a simple braid and push it under my helmet or did you mean a certain kind of braid.

So, another question if thats ok.

1. Which is easier to learn, the bun or braid.
2. How do I do the bun? I mean just some simple instructions. and do I just push it under the helmet
3. Should I just do the simple braid. Should I just push it under the helmet.

Thanks for answering me. And when I win a competition I'll be sure to thank you here.

Andy
ballet dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballet dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 3:24pm
>>1. Which is easier to learn, the bun or braid.

Well both are pretty easy to do, braid you just do a simple one.

>>2. How do I do the bun? I mean just some simple instructions. and do I just push it under the helmet

A bun you pull the hair back or ponytail then take it and twist into a bun shape the pin it with bobby pins.

>>3. Should I just do the simple braid. Should I just push it under the helmet.

Well I would play with it and see what works for you.

When I had long hair I use to braid or put it in a bun all the time, I wear it short now.

>>Thanks for answering me. And when I win a competition I'll be sure to thank you here.

Thanks Lisa

andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 3:26pm
I've been looking on this site a bit more and found some directions that a Karen posted to do a bun with longer hair than mine though.

I've realized that I have to buy some hair things that Karen talked about like hair pin things and bands and stuff. I have a brush and comb and thats about it LOL.

Like I said I have no idea what really to get. I am building up the courage to get some of these things as soon as someone tells me what are the best things to get. I think our local Walmart sells hair stuff. I think our local pharmacy does too but thats a bit small. I think I might get a couple of boy mags and hide the girly things in with them. Walmart might be better to do that.

In case anyone is wondering I don't want to go to my mom about this. She always tells me to cut my hair anyway. I'd sooner deal with this myself.

Thanks Andy
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 3:30pm
Lisa, Thanks for the reply. I guess we were posting at the same time. Bobby pins, I guess these are the same as what Karen was talking about. I'm writing that down so I can go to the store soon. I think I may do this tonight while I am getting some courage up. Thanks again. Andy
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2004 at 1:41am
You don't have to be embarrassed to buy things for your hair-- the clerks are paid to run the registers, not judge people based on what they buy. Even if you walked up to the counter with shny pink hair ribbons, people would be more likely to think it's for your girlfriend or kid sister rather than passing any judgement on you. If you act weird, you will draw attention to yourself, but if you just act like it's any other purchase, there's no problem.
More awesome than a manatee!
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 10:19am
Hi Kuroneko, thanks for your support and advise. I wish I had read this before I went in and got the hair things. I did feel embarassed and I think it showed when I got to the register. I got through it, but I think I was deep red all through and Im sure the woman who served me guessed they were for me.

I've had a really frustrating weekend with this though and I'm seriously thinking about giving up either the eventing or the long hair. I don't really want to give up either but I am getting no where.

I printed off Karen's directions on making the bun and I must have spent an hour trying this before my arms felt like they were going to drop off. I can't even make the pony tail band things stay in my hair. I pull my hair back and put the band over it but it seems to be too loose. I didn't see any smaller ones but the hole seems to be too big. Am I doing it wrong? I tried doing it without the pony tail bands but that made an even bigger mess. I got it all off my neck using the whole pack of bobby pins (60) but it looked a mess from behind and I don't think my hat would sit on it very well. I know I probably just need practice but I don't think I am even practising it right to begin with.

It was much the same with the braid. I am learning how to braid my horse right now but doing it behind your head is much harder. I need to be able to see what I am doing. I tried looking in a mirror behind me, but that just confused me even more. And even when I pull my hair back in making a ponytail (like a braid would do) I have a lot of side hair that isn't long enough to reach back that will stick out of the helmet at the sides. Should I just pin that up with bobby pins?

I know some of these questions may seem dumb but I am really going from zero here and need some pointers.

Not this Wednesday but next Wednesday, I am meant to be fitting my new helmet, so I kind of need to decide if I can do this or not by then. And I have my first proper instructor lesson, not this Friday but next. I've been told I don't even get on my horse for the first 3 weeks. The first week is all about me and how I look and appear. The next two are preparing the horse. This lady who is training me though is apparently very hard but also produces a lot of winners so I guess she is just very detailed.

I guess I am prepared to give myself a whole week of practice at this until next Tuesday. If I can't get it right by then, I may need to decide whether to cut it or just give up on the eventing. I don't know which I would choose yet.

I did have one idea but I don't know if its possible or not. I was wondering if I went to a hair stylist if they could maybe show me what I needed to do. There is one close to where I train. I was thinking maybe they could even just do my hair for me before I put on my helmet. But I don't know how much that might cost. And it could get expensive if I have to do that every time I train as well as compete. And sometimes I will need to travel for long ways as well. But how much does a hair stylist usually charge to put hair in a bun or braid?

I have to go for now, but I hope someone can answer my questions.

Thanks Andy

Tiffany_Q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany_Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 1:29pm
use sliver metal clips they kind of pop into place gymnasts use them to clip up their hair. Once popped into place they lay very flat against the head. They are kind of long and oval shaped.
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 12:55pm
Thanks Tiffany_Q. I really want to say thanks to you all for helping me with your advise.

I had a long chat with my cousin yesterday using IM. She used to live near us and actually schooled in the same club that I am going to compete with. But they moved to the West Coast last fall. She really asked me a lot of questions to find out what I really wanted to do. As I said yesterday if I had to choose I wouldn't know whether to cut my hair or give up the eventing. She made me realize that the only decision I have to make is that I am going to have both long hair and do the eventing as well. It's dumb to let myself be beat by little rules or my own attitude or just plain giving up. So I am really determined to stick with this now. It helps that she has always liked my longer hair and she encouraged me to keep growing it. She actually put the idea in my head that my mom may have encouraged me and signed me up for the eventing half thinking that it would make me cut my hair, because she knows the standards are more stiff. That makes me determined not to cut it as well.

I have some more questions though after yesterday. A lot of different stuff happened yesterday. Firstly I did have a bit more success on using the bobby pins in pinning my hair back. I wouldn't think it still looks like a bun but I seem to be getting better at using the pins. So that gave me some encouragement. But the most important thing is more related to the club rules. Its complicated and lots of different things are depending on what happens but I don't have time to write everything down. I'll just write on the hair side though here.

We got a call from the club last night as they have gotten my application forms. Because of my age, I can start the year as a junior or senior, although I have to switch to the senior category after my birthday. My instructor says its my choice but she suggests my starting in the juniors first to get some experience and she thinks I stand a chance of winning some competitions. She thinks this will be good for me before I move to the seniors where she thinks I will have a lot to learn. The juniors though have some different rules. In some ways they are more relaxed in terms of dress, but when it comes to hair and helmets they just say the following.

g) * The wearing of a hairnet, or braided pigtails for members with shoulder length hair or longer, is compulsory. The use of hair accessories or ornaments which may become loose during unsaddling are prohibited.

It also goes on about the helmet fitting right and so on as with the seniors.

If I do go into the juniors then, I have no choice on what I do. But if I go into the seniors I do. And I will probably go into the seniors anyway after my birthday anyway.

So my questions are

1. What are braided pigtails. I think I know but I am not sure. Are they easier to do than a regular braid.

2. For Tiffany_Q. I looked in Walmart last night for the silver clip that you explained. I didn't see any there that looked like that. Do they have a name.

3. My cousin suggested I look into trying a baratt I think it was. She said I could just twist my back hair up off my neck and keep it in place with that. I guess that is something like Tiffany_Q was saying with the silver clip. Is this a good idea. What is a baratt. My cousin tried to explain but I didnt really get it.

I have to go now but I may try and post more later. I want to thank you for helping me with advise.

Thanks Andy
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2004 at 1:30am
Braided pigtails are the things little girls wear, with the hair parted at the middle and one braid at each side, by the ears. You know, like Dorothy in _The Wizard of Oz_? I think a guy would definitely be poked fun at for doing that, but if you have the confidence not to let that bother you, it's fine-- you could say it was Native American rather than Dorothy.
I don't know what the silver clippies are called, other than clippies. They're usually sort of rounded triangle-shaped, and curved, so when you bend them backwards the top triangle pops up, and there's a straight piece underneath. You put the straight piece under the hair and push down on the top piece, which then snaps down very securely over the hair. They work well enough to securely fasten in my very fine/thin hair, even when many other kinds of hair decorations won't. You can get big value packs of like a dozen or so clippies for just a couple of bucks in most any store that sells accessories. Generally they come in basic shades like silver, brown tortoise, or black. Silver is best, as the paint on other kinds often comes off with use :-P .
More awesome than a manatee!
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2004 at 11:09am
Thanks Kurenoko. That was the same image I had in mind, although I was thinking Brittney Spears. I will definitely prefer to go into the senior events then from a hair point of view. I wouldn't feel too comfortable wearing pigtails like that. I will keep looking for the silver clip things.

Thx Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic