Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

when did they start shearing servicemen?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: when did they start shearing servicemen?
    Posted: May 18 2004 at 6:57am
When did they start introducing butchy haircuts (crew, buzz, brush, high-and-tight) as regulation for military personnel? In many countries, this is not rare. If you look at pictures from WWII, soldiers from Britain, the US and Canada have short hair, but so do almost all civillian men, too. The soldiers have NEAT HAIRCUTS, not some shorn job. Marines today seem to almost always have some shaven, high-and-tight or similar cut, yet old images suggest this was not always the case.

Actually, I'm not sure if they really have to wear their hair so short. Yes, hair (in both Canada and the United States) is shorn on induction to boot camp, but later, in Canada at least, you can have a fair haircut so long as it's short. I think British personnel, including marines, can also have normal haircuts (though I don't know if that applies to basic). Does anyone know what the rules are in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines, respectively? If a Marine private wanted a normal haircut instead of a shorn high-and-tight, would he be allowed to wear one once he left boot camp (where they're shaven down to the scalp, reportedly, then allowed to grow a high-and-tight for graduation)? What about the other services?

When did they start shearing new inductees?
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 7:53am
I sure others can answer your Q's with more detail but here is what I know. Recruits all weae the same hair cut as part of the breaking down process. This process is intended to make ALL recruits equal, the same, a team. Then though training and spirit building they are built up to a fighting force that is "gelled" as one. After basic training, the hair restrictions a loosen but many choose to keep the same short look to set themselves apart from the general populus because, in part, they are proud of what they have become.
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 9:01am
I vaguely remember reading this, but I believe it was around WWI for hygene reasons. After that it sort of became standard. And, as Hal said, it's now part of the "break them down to build them up" philosophy.

JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2004 at 9:47am
Jerky Flea is right about the hygene thing but it started a little earlier than World War I. The current Marine Corps regulation states that hair will be no longer than three inches on top and graduated from a zero length at the hairline to match the length on top. Here's a link http://www.gunnysquarters.org/usmchairregs2.htm

The other services allow males to block the hair on their neck vice having it tapered. When the other services authorized longer hair back in the early eighties, the Marine Corps tightened their standards and shortened the length.

Very few Marines will have three inches of hair even though it is authorized. Marines are told their first day in the Marine Corps that they will get a haircut every week. MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) has a lot to do with hair length: Grunts (infantry) and Recon guys go for the high and tight. Guys in the air wing generally have longer hair. There are exceptions.

Hope this helps.

Mark
HAWG
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 5:40am
Thanks Hawg. Some of those regs sure are thought provoking:

"Male personnel are prohibited from utilizing umbrellas while in uniform" - WHUT?

"The (women's) hair shall be neatly shaped and arranged in an attractive feminine style." (I guess that FEMALE marines may not have a high-and-tight- cut even if they wanted to! I wonder where they draw the line for how short women may cut their hair!

"No eccentricities in the manner of wearing the head hair or mustache will be permitted."
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 8:43am
Women coming back from Iraq - there was two on Good morning America that had buzzcuts. They said living conditions were horrible over there! They let their hair grow back out I am sure. Now, when we went down to Jacksonville Florida becasue my son was in the Navy, we did see some women that had super short hair! They were Nurses and yes they were military - not civilians. They (women) just can't have any wild do's. Just my 2 cents worth! Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 9:21am
The women are prohibited from having "eccentric" hairstyles, makeup, finger nail polish, etc. Who determines that is the next senior person in that female's chain of command; generally/usually/always the first "female" in their chain of command as males will not normally make the confrontation for fear of sexual harrassment charges.

I have seen female Marines with very short hair; in fact, I used to have a sergeant that worked for me that used to accompany me to the barbershop. When she first started working for me, she wore a longish pixie (three to four inches long but not below her collar). When Spring came, she showed up after a long holiday weekend with a much shorter version; her Mother had given her the haircut; it was about an inch to an inch and a half long on top and a little shorter in the back and on the sides. Her hair seemed to grow faster than a half inch a month and about three/four weeks later, I was in need of my weekly haircut so I told her where I was going as I left the office and casually mentioned that she could use one too as she was getting somewhat shaggy. I asked her if she would like to come along with me and let Regina give her a trim. She agreed almost immediately. When we got to the barbershop, I offered to let her go first but she said for me to go ahead. I sat down for "the usual" and we started talking about my sergeant and how she had tagged along with me because she needed a trim. Soon, I was finished and my sergeant and I traded places. She explained to Regina what she wanted and soon hair was flying. She ended up with this haircut

http://www.haircuts.ru/foto/pixie/pixie001.jpg

except it was tapered more in the back and on the sides; it was a regulation haircut for a male Marine. I thought she looked great. I had some people comment to me that they thought her hair was too short but I dismissed these comments stating that she was well within regulations and that it looked very good on her.

I have seen everything from undercuts and feminine flattops to butt skimming hair on females in the Marine Corps.
HAWG
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2004 at 10:00am
I believe regulations require women to wear their hair above the collar. They can have it longer, but it must be pulled up whenever on duty.

Caring for longer hair is easy when you're stationed stateside, but difficult if you are stationed on a ship or in combat in Iraq. Showers are often not daily events and when they get them, they frequently don't have more than a couple of minutes. You can't wash or care for longer hair in that time.

The military is all about the man/woman next to you and the last thing someone wants is to be perceived to be more worried about their looks than the job.

It's simply more practical for men to be shorn extremely short and women to have no maintenance hairstyles while in Iraq.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2004 at 1:45am
I've seen websites before that were very critical of the fact women in the military are allowed long hair when men aren't. The sites reasoned that, if the men's cuts were done for hygiene reasons and to help prevent lice, the women should be held to the same regulations. I thought that was a good point.
The rule that says women's hair should be in an attractive, feminine style sounds very contradictory to the fact it's military service, anyway, doesn't it? I mean, the women are there to be soldiers, not fashion plates. Why would it be necessary for them to try to look "attractive and feminine"?
More awesome than a manatee!
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2004 at 5:44am
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

I've seen websites before that were very critical of the fact women in the military are allowed long hair when men aren't. The sites reasoned that, if the men's cuts were done for hygiene reasons and to help prevent lice, the women should be held to the same regulations. I thought that was a good point.
The rule that says women's hair should be in an attractive, feminine style sounds very contradictory to the fact it's military service, anyway, doesn't it? I mean, the women are there to be soldiers, not fashion plates. Why would it be necessary for them to try to look "attractive and feminine"?

-I think the point here, Kuroneko, is that the regulations are there not so much for practicality as for socio-mental reasons. The men are I think required to have short hair so as to "make a good impression" and the women to have something along the lines of an "attractive feminine style" for about the same reason. Think of the dress uniform, about traditional male grooming standards etc. The Marines want to project a certain image (tough, clean cut, neat) and I guess this is the main reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic