Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bio teacher needs advice on dealing with long haired male student
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bio teacher needs advice on dealing with long haired male student

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DNA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bio teacher needs advice on dealing with long haired male student
    Posted: September 18 2004 at 3:56pm
I am looking for some advice on dealing with a situation with one of my students. I teach biology and we have a lot of lab work. It has been a long standing policy for our school/class that hair longer than shoulder length should be at least tied back. However, after an incident last year this has been modified to require it to not only be tied back but also secured up above the collar so that we don't have long ponytails swishing around dangerous chemicals or naked flames.

I have a male student that has, in the last week, transferred to my class (our school in fact, following a relocation of his parents). He has slighlty than longer shoulder length hair - sort of bra strap length.

We had a lab class yesterday and I had to remind him of the schools policy. To make this brief, he didn't like what I was telling him. As the only boy with long hair he felt singled out and believes that I am trying to make him look silly. He agreed to tie his hair back, but not wear it up. I couldn't accept this, as the responsibility remains on me to enforce the policy, and I had to exclude him from the class and make him sit it out.

I have the same class again on Tuesday. I don't know what to do next. On a confrontational level, I could send him to the Principal and force him to comply with the school code. But I would far sooner discuss this with him and get him to understand that this is a safety issue, is for his and all the other students benefit and isn't about singling him out.

I am writing here for some advice on two levels.

One is, how do you reason with an adolescent teenage boy, in a situation like this. His view is that he is just being singled out and I am humiliating him by insisting he wears his hair in the same way as the girls. (As an aside, I have about 5 girls in the class who are also affected by this ruling). I have already shown him the school rule and explained how it isn't about one sex or the other, it is applied to everyone irrespective of gender.

The second question is, what sort of 'style' could I suggest that he may be comfortable with. I think it needs to be simple so he can do it himself. I thought a simple claw clip might suffice, but a friend said that he may find that too feminine an accessory. I'm kind of at a loss. The other girls in the class either wear their hair in buns, or braids, or use hair claws.

Any suggestions? I would really like to handle this in a compassionate way without making this child feel awkward.

Thanks

Elaine
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 4:05pm
Hi Elaine,

Does the lab have a no-hats rule? Maybe he can stuff all his hair into a hat--even better if it's a brimless hat like a winter cap. I used to do that back in high school, and it worked pretty well. If there's a no-hat policy at the school, in general, then maybe you can suspend that rule in the lab for longhaired guys.

Hope this helps

Anais
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 9:25pm
You may do well to take him aside and explain to him that you think he probably feels singled out (so he knows you realize it) and that you are sorry about that, but that you're just concerned for his safety, and that the rule must apply to everyone or the girls will find it unfair. Speak to him as an adult with a compassionate tone so perhaps he'll realize you do care and don't want to embarrass him on purpose.
Hats suggested above are a good idea. If hats aren't allowed, he can use a ponytail holder (one of the thin plain ones boys with long hair usually wear) to at least put it in a ponytail if nothing else. One thing he could do is put the ponytail holder around the ponytail, then after the last twist, instead of pulling the ponytail all the way through it, he can just pull it halfway through so the ends are still caught under the band. That would make the ponytail half the length it would otherwise be, that way he's complying with the rule like everyone else, but it doesn't look as embarrassing as a claw clip probably would.
Good luck,
Susan W
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2004 at 12:57pm
Hi DNA,

How about suggesting that he tuck the ponytail into his shirt in the back? Would that suffice to keep it out of harm's way? Maybe if he braided his ponytail (and tucked that into his shirt) that would keep it well-secured. I do this to play golf and it works very well; stays hidden away throughout a wide range of golf-course movement (which should suffice for bio lab).
DNA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2004 at 9:32pm
I would like to thank everyone that replied. There were some very creative options which shows the value in posting here. In fact, I would personally find any of these acceptable. Nonetheless, I am in a position where I also have to work inside the rules of the school otherwise I can get in trouble too. As background, we had two incidents last year where one students hair was badly singed and another managed to topple over a bottle of acid that was precariously close to the edge of a bench. In both cases the long hair was tied back, but still 'loose' and this led to the school tightening its rules.

In response to the ideas posted here:

Unfortunately, our school does have a no hats rule, so that option isn't viable.

I liked the idea of tucking the ends of the ponytail inside the elastic. However, I am not sure if I can swing this as an interpretation of the rules.

The idea of his tucking his hair under his shirt is actually a nice idea. Again, it's not within the rules, but I would think it would be hard to debate the logic of this, unless his hair could work loose during lab which I think would be unlikely.

To illustrate what constraints I am having to work with, here are the rules as outlined for hair.

4. HAIR

4.1 Before entering any lab area, students with long hair will be required to keep it securely fastened away from their face behind their head.

4.2 In any lab using matches or fire, long hair must be confined or tied back in such a way that it is not loose and cannot be exposed accidentally to a naked flame. For shoulder length hair or longer, it must be secured in some fashion such as clipping it securely to the top of your head; loose pony tails or pig tails, including long loose braids, are not permissable.

Thanks

Elaine
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 7:37am
Please keep in mind... I'm a black and white sort of guy... to me the issue is not his hair.. the issue is you have pointed out a rule.. he doesn't like it and is pushing your buttons anyway he can to get what he wants. I can't even say that I blame him... he is doing what kids do and is seeing if you will do what you should do. If you don't he wins.. you lose! When I was a teenager I hated to wear the silly hats they made us wear at McDonalds.... so I didn't. I made them tell me to put it on every day... the "weaker" managers wouldn't make me because they knew I would make noise and often make them look silly if they insisted. For instance I would pointed out ( in front of the whole crew) they didn't change the bin timers in the exact way McDonalds corp required them too so since they only followed ome rules..why couldn't I! Well long story short, a more expirenced managed pulled me aside one day and told me he knew what I was doing, what a negitive effect I was having on the entire crew and if I wanted to contiue to work there I would not be seen with out a hat on..EVER!!!! He knew I knew exactly what I was doing and so does your student.
DNA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 5:06pm
Hal, thank you for your take on the situation. I was discussing this with another teacher today who has the same student in his class. He said much the same as you and said I should just stick to the rules and not put myself in a position where I undermine either my authority with this student (and the class), or undermine my position with the school in trying to accomodate him (and expose myself to problems down the line).

This other teacher made the point that this student is a non-conformist (hence in part the long hair), but is also somewhat anti-authoritarian (this is already becoming evident in some attitudes).

So I am kind of back to square one. Basically insisting that he ties his hair back but then clips it up in some way so it's not loose. The argument being that we don't bend the rules for the girls, so why should we for the boys. I am not looking forward to tomorrow - I hate confrontations.

Elaine
Jimmy the King View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy the King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 7:23pm
I dotnt hink having long hair is always a representation that a male is trying to be a non conformist. That's a label others subject on the person. To him amybe he like long hair. In regards to your situation. And nobody has offered this suggestion yet. Get a thing a patient about to go into surgery wears. Not a hair net but those surgial things. they are clear simular to hair nets but are plastic, Tell him to put his hair in a pony tail and tuck it up on his head and place the elastic hospital head covering thing on top. That is not very embarrasing
DNA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 9:18pm
Jimmy, that is another good idea. Everyone here is so creative. I will certainly suggest this to the student as an option.

For the timebeing though I am not going to get any more churned up over this. My stomach is in a knot from tension. I dug out a large clip from when I had longer hair and will take this in tomorrow. He can twist a ponytail back behind his head and clip it up, or he can sit out the class if he doesn't come with another option already. He's had the weekend to think about this too and I bet I have been more worked up than he has over this.

Thanks for all your input.

Elaine
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2004 at 7:00am
The only thing I would bet on is you are more worked up over this then he is! If anything, its funny to him. Getting the clip is more than I would do as I beleive its his place to fit into the system but there is something to be said for making a good faith gester on your part. However I would not make a big deal of it. Hand it to him and go on with class. He is uses it great, if not ask him to leave...with no emotion on your part. You get worked up...he wins! I know this kind of person.. I WAS ONE! Any of my old teacher read here..I'm soooo sorry!
x_xxx_amy_xxx_x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x_xxx_amy_xxx_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2004 at 12:07pm
Hi, DNA! My advice is to do exactly as Susan W said! As a 14 yr old girl, I do that all the time to keep my hair out of the way. It doesnt even take 0.5 of a second to do; just tell him to tie it back, but on the last tie dont pull it all the way through. its really, really simple and the hair doesnt fall out or anything. This really isnt my place to say this, but I think the pupil in question is being a bit unreasonable. After all, in my school there is a boy with long hair who wears his in bunches! Thanks, Amy.
~--~--~--~--~
Snow Patrol
~--~--~--~--~
Aimee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aimee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2004 at 6:42pm
This post sort of struck a chord with me. I think that you should be respectful of the boy's decision to have long hair because, it is his hair, but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't ascribe to the school's dress code (since there apparently is one), especially if the rules have been established (at least in the lab) for safety reasons. As a girl with long hair, I've had to tie my hair up into a bun throughout school, whether it was when I was in my technology class and we had to work with tools (saws, drills, sanders, etc...) and loose hair or hair in a pony tail was a hazard, or when I was in my chemistry and biology courses. I can understand not wanting to look goofy, but the fact remains that it's a rule that everyone has to follow, students and teachers alike. Many, if not all, shop or technology classes require that you pull your hair back securely, that you don't wear loose clothes with baggy sleeves (and if your sleeves are long they're rolled up securely), and that you don't wear open toed shoes or sandals. It's a safety concern and you can start letting people break the rules, because if you do and this boy gets hurt, you'll be responsible legally and morally. Explain to him that you're not trying to single him out, but that's the way things are. It's not like some other rules that are basically in place to maintain authority over students, it's a rule with an actual purpose and a good one at that. Girls have had to suffer for years not being able to dress as they like or wear their hair as they like, and you can point out to him that it would be sexual discrimination to allow him to break the rules while the girls aren't. Perhaps the girls would rather risk injury and wear their own hair down, but the good thing about the rule is that it doesn't allow kids to opt for vanity over safety. It's a lesson he needs to learn and you shouldn't feel bad about enforcing it. If he doesn't want to listen, he'll just have to suffer the consequences of receiving a bad grade.
DNA View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2004 at 10:38pm
Amy and Aimee, you two girls have no idea how much I appreciated seeing your posts this evening.

Amy, I agree that this boy is being unreasonable and as Hal said, I think he is pushing me to see how far he can go. I notice you come from the United Kingdom, I have relatives there. What are bunches though? I don't know that term in relation to hair. How do others react to the boy with bunches? Is this something he chooses to wear or does the school require it?

Aimee, I am going to print out your post and have it ready to show this boy, as I am sure it will echo the sentiment of all the other girls in the class.

Just to let everyone know. He did end up taking the class today with his hair pulled back into a ponytail and then the loose end clipped up with my clip onto the top of his head. This wasn't before a stand off however, where I threatened him with failure if he did not take this class. I also explained to him that he was making it a bigger deal than it needed to be. By making an issue he was actually putting the spotlight on him and his hair. We have another class Friday. I have given the option for him to wear his hair anyway he wants as long as it conforms to the rules which I printed out for him again. I am sure he hates me now though!

Thanks for all the support - it is truly appreciated.

Elaine
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2004 at 6:59am
Hate you...no...respects you becuase you stood up for yourself! Sorry it caused you such termoil (sp?) But glad to here is worked out well for you in the end..
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 9:17am
When I dont' want a pony Tail swinging, I just don't pull it through when I'm tying it up... simple as that. It makes your head a little longer, but that's about it.

I understand, from his point of view, that some teachers can be cruel about this thing; I got a lot of hassle in my school, but would it really be that hard for him to just NOT pull his hair down when tying it up?

He knows it's all about safety, he's probably just looking for an excuse to be excluded.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic