Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Hair Movies
    Posted: October 03 2003 at 7:18am
Does anyone have a particular film that inspired them to grow long hair (or that he/she likes watching especially because of one of the actors' long hair)?

I like...

Practical Magic
The Mists of Avalon
Ever After
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2003 at 8:37am
Lord of the Rings - TFOTR and TTT and looking forward to seeing lots of hair in ROTK

White Oleander

Those are just a couple that popped in my mind right now.

Caramia
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2003 at 1:10pm
Princess Leia. Love the buns. Too bad they weren't real!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2003 at 2:13pm
demi moore in ''striptease''
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2003 at 2:27pm
The Princess Bride - and it was Robin Wright's real hair!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2003 at 4:32am
Room with a View - for Helena Bonham-Carter's mass of dark locks.

Lord of the Rings' FOTR & TT (and looking forward to ROTK, like Caramia) - for beautifully masculine, long-haired males.

Midsummer Night's Dream - for Michelle Pfieffer's (sp?) blonde glory.

Man other actor's come to mind but I can't remember film titles....sign of old age creeping in...
Uzi

3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2003 at 9:17pm
A second vote here for Demi Moore in
Striptease .
3katz
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2003 at 11:58am
Great topic for discussion!

Most Jane Seymour movies would qualify. Her hair was never longer than it was in "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger." There is also a longhaired blonde in that 1977 movie. I wonder if the blonde has done anything since.

"Somewhere in Time," based on Mackinaw Island, is great as well -- especially the scene in which Jane lets her hair down.

The third most memorable "hair" movie appearance by Jane is the James Bond flick "Live and Let Die," which was made in 1973.

Man, she's had long hair a long time. I know I've appreciated her!
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2003 at 12:43pm
A few more...

"The Mask of Zorro," which put longhaired Catherine Zeta-Jones on the movie star map.

Angelina Jolie has a splendid ponytail in "Laura Croft:Tomb Raider."

Bai Ling had gorgeous hair in "Red Corner" and "The Crow," then cut it all off for another movie. (Argh!)

Katherine Ross almost always had great hair in her movies, including "Rodeo Girl," "Stepford Wives" and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."

catt_grrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_grrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 11:49am
Crappy teeny-bopper movie from the mid-80's, but check out Kim Richards in "Tuff Turf". I once aspired to hair that length...
-Denise
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 1:28pm
Now which of the above had real hair and no extentions? Its hard for me to admire as well when I know it isnt real. Im a hair snob...sort of.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Erinlynn Erinlynn wrote:

Now which of the above had real hair and no extentions? Its hard for me to admire as well when I know it isnt real. Im a hair snob...sort of.

demi's hair was and is real with no extenions.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 7:50pm
Lyris, Katherine and Monica are correct re: Carrie Fischer (wigs), Robin Wright and Demi Moore, respectively. Real hair on Jane Seymour, Catherine Ross, Bai Ling. I don't know about Kim Richards but I believe it probably was. (Generally, hair extensions began coming into widespread use over the course of the past 15-20 years). Angelina Jolie was definitely extensions, and I'm fairly certain that CZJ's hair in Zorro was not real. I dunno about the actors in the LOTR movies.
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by catt_grrl catt_grrl wrote:

Crappy teeny-bopper movie from the mid-80's, but check out Kim Richards in "Tuff Turf". I once aspired to hair that length...
-Denise
We can end the game now. "Tuff Turf" is the best of the best! About half the movie, Kim has crimped hair. The rest of the movie, it's straight and equally as gorgeous. Thanks for the memories!
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2003 at 7:28am
Catherine Zeta Jones did wear extensions to play Elena in "Zorro." These days when a woman has superlong hair in a film, you can be about 90% sure it's extensions. The reason is that actresses have to change their look all the time, and also submit to lots of damaging heat styling, so it's hard for them to have very long hair that's real.

That's also a hard look to work at auditions. (The "perfect aspiring actress haircut" is usually around the shoulders for versatility.)

In many cases, even when the star does have long hair, extra pieces are added for volume.

Other stars I know about who wore them: Both women in "Practical Magic," Kate Winslet in "Titanic," and Jennifer Garner in "Daredevil." (Garner's fake hair was described as a "three-quarter wig," which I can only imagine is a fall that is attached at the back for length.) Shania Twain and Elizabeth Hurley wear them all the time.

This doesn't make me like their hair any less.
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 6:47am
Its not so much that I like their look less when its extentions. The look can be quite breathtaking. Its just that its not really their hair. Nothing to say "why cant I have hair like hers" over. becasue you can! If you get the right extentions that is. I just admire real locks much more.

Its like implants and cosmetic surgery. So and so might look stunning! But thats becasue she had such and such removed, reduced, enlarged, enhanced, straightened, lifted, tucked, etc. I value natural beauty above the "altered to make perfect" beauty.

Im not saying there arent cases where surgery isnt necessary. There are. For example if your born with a deformity and want to change it to have normal features or if you have a medical problem that needs cosmetic surgery, thats fine. Its just that so many are going for that perfect body look.

Why cant we be a bit more natural in this world. Everybody wants to be pretty. too bad we all cant just morph into our ideal in beauty...or too bad we cant just be happy with how we are.

has anyone here ever watched that extream makeover show?

Anyways I like the "born with it" over the "I bought it". "I bought it" might be very pretty but it doesnt hold the value of "I grew it myself". Of course for movies "i bought it" is more practical and often will look better. Thats fine by me. But i wont say oh my gosh her hair is gorgeous in the same way i would say it if it really was hers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Erinlynn Erinlynn wrote:

Its not so much that I like their look less when its extentions. The look can be quite breathtaking. Its just that its not really their hair. Nothing to say "why cant I have hair like hers" over. becasue you can! If you get the right extentions that is. I just admire real locks much more.

Its like implants and cosmetic surgery. So and so might look stunning! But thats becasue she had such and such removed, reduced, enlarged, enhanced, straightened, lifted, tucked, etc. I value
natural beauty above the "altered to make
perfect" beauty.

Im not saying there arent cases where surgery isnt
necessary. There are. For example if your born
with a deformity and want to change it to have
normal features or if you have a medical problem
that needs cosmetic surgery, thats fine. Its just
that so many are going for that perfect body look.
Why cant we be a bit more natural in this world. Everybody wants to be pretty. too bad we all cant just morph into our ideal in beauty...or too bad we cant just be happy with how we are.

has anyone here ever watched that extream makeover show?

Anyways I like the "born with it" over the "I bought it". "I bought it" might be very pretty but it doesnt hold the value of "I grew it myself". Of course for movies "i bought it" is more practical and often will look better. Thats fine by me. But i wont say oh my gosh her hair is gorgeous in the same way i would say it if it really was hers.

i'm sorry erinlynn but i feel you are getting off track. i don't mean to start a debate. this thread is about ''long hair movies'' not about cosmetic surgery. some opinions are meant to keep to one self when people can read it publicly.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 5:14pm
Quote rinlynn wrote:
"I bought it" might be very pretty but it doesnt hold the value of "I grew it myself".

The above thought (in relation to hair) is a sentiment I share.
To let the beauty of long hair manifest itself as Nature intended, through patience and care, is far superior IMO to the instant disposable artifice of extensions.

But we live in a world that "knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" - that values "image above substance".

Of course, expressing such a view is tantamount to heresy in certain quarters, and draws the venom of various industries that feed and breed on the sense of inadequacy that the fashion media and others instill in the populace.

For instance, a friend of mine spends a small fortune every 2 months getting different types of extensions bonded or braided into her hair. Consequently, she has traction alopecia and areas of sore scalp.

Now she's considering growing out her naturally curly hair and going for a thermal reconditioning treatment to make it poker straight.
I tried to tell her that it may cause a further deterioration in the condition of her scalp and hair, but she looked at me blankly - like I was crazy.

Maybe I am, but I'm glad I'm not the only one .

The lead male actors in LOTR wore wigs with the exception of Viggo Mortensen, I believe. For his role as Aragorn, Viggo gree hair to his shoulders and had it coloured dark brown from it's original blonde.
He has sported shoulder-length hair before with it's natural colour. He looked so amazingly handsome...drop dead gorgeous in fact.......OK, I'll shut up now .
Uzi

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 8:25pm
I share your sentiments, Erinlynn and Uzi.

Along similar lines, I value efforts made to achieve an improved natural self.

For example, hair: hair that has been grown over the course of a number of years, and gently-cared for is far more "laudable" than the person who gets hair hair extensions installed.

Another example (off-topic, perhaps, but consistent with the rest of my message), body: a person that eats and exercises responsibly to have a healthy and fit body is more "laudable" than the person who gets liposuction to remove 10 pounds.

Just my opinion. Sorry if I offended anybody.
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 10:45pm
"Splash" with Darryl Hannah was on last night. Yes, she no doubt had a wig on, but she looked splendid just the same.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic