Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - why are bad hair days considered cute on little girls?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why are bad hair days considered cute on little girls?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why are bad hair days considered cute on little girls?
    Posted: April 20 2001 at 1:00pm
I don`t want to make too big a deal out of this, but have you noticed that some people do their very
little girls` hair in rather wierd ways? For example, many people cut bangs straight across their
daughters` forehead. Why? This way of wearing hair is often considered hideous on older girls.
It needlessly makes their hair high maintenance. Also, some people seem to love putting their
little girls` short hair in too-little ponytails. I saw one such girl, maybe 2 or 3, the other day. Her
hair was probably about chin length, but was put up in 2 bushy ponytails sticking right up, with
lots of shaggy stuff below them. I don`t think many grown women would be caught on the street
with such a pathetic looking style. Similarly, a little girl with bobbed hair I saw a while back had
a small ponytail sectioned out of each side of the head, which clashed with the bob - it looked like she was growing little horns. It`s plain to me that people want their daughters to look cute, but it looks
silly, it almost makes me think of child neglect Do people think their wee girls are not living, breathing
humans, but Barbie dolls!?
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2001 at 1:06pm
Reply to message: 10.3341.1
Sorry but I was off my chair laughing so hard. The thing is even BArbie doll wouldn`t be caught that way.
dianefromcanada
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2001 at 12:38pm
I think it`s a similar thing to what I was saying before about people with special needs - people just don`t think they are worth bothering with too much. In the case of children, it is obvious that these cuts/styles are "home-made" with predictably disastrous results. People seem to think that high fringes are cool, (which they`re not unless you`re Mia Farrow) and also seem to think that a bowl cut and a bob are the same thing. I`m going to suggest that we have a "hair police" with special powers to fine irresponsible parents lol .
phil
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2001 at 10:52pm
Dear Duke:

I was thinking of you in church this evening and couldn`t help laughing within because right in front of me was this very cute little girl that wasn`t even two years old and a handful of her hair was tied in a ponytail and it was sticking right up but you know what? Her mom did the same thing to herself. It was cute lol
dianefromcanada
ponytailhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ponytailhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2001 at 11:44am
ive noticed the small ponytail thing a lot lately,when i was in wal mart yesterday there was a woman that wore a tight ponytail with her little girl and i think she tried to create the same look on her daughter but failed,the girl had really short lightblonde hair that was all tied in a little ponytail that was exteremely tight,the scalp was visible all aroud and underneath the ponytail there was not a trace of hair,just skin,without the ponytail the little girl looked bald,but i guess it was cute cause they both tried the tight ponytailed look :)
"i can feel it in my bones"
Kimberlina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberlina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2001 at 11:41pm
I work in a supermarket part time, and I see a lot of this kinda stuff going on. Half the time I think that it`s just because the kid wants to do their own hair and I think that the pretty weird hair style is the result.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with parents cutting their kid`s hair though, as long as they don`t try to fully style it! My friend cuts her 10 year sister`s hair and it looks perfectly fine. On little kids, like preschoolers, I think a no fuss bob is great.
From the one and only Kimberlina from Australia!
glitterjess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glitterjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2001 at 3:25pm
Hmm... well as someone else said they may be fixing their own hair and thats why its look that way. Or they see mommy wearing a pony tail and try to fix it that way and the mother doesn`t want to hurt her childs feelings by telling them it looks bad or messy. While I don`t think little girls should have to mess with rollers, blowdryers or curly or straightening irons their hair should still look nice. A little combing and a clip will do!
kat_02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat_02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2001 at 10:24am
Reply to message: 10.3471.1
I think most of it has to with the fact that parents don`t have time to worry about how their kids hair looks. Honestly, most parents are just happy if their kid`s hair is brushed everyday. And little kids don`t even care, so why bother?
- kat
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2001 at 8:43am
My point is not to do things to little girls that make them look silly. A ponytail sectioned out of a bob is
so cheezy, and it is clear that the only reason why some parents do their girls` hair this way is because
they find it cute. I hate bangs cut straight on a forehead, and I think it is dumb that many parents have their
kids` hair cut this way. I`m just saying, don`t treat your kids as if they were dolls to be played on. My point
is not that you should go to great lengths to style their hair, but not to make them look kitchy-"cute".
Olivia Chillia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olivia Chillia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2002 at 12:06am
Some possible reasons:

1) Their hair was done the same way when they were little. It`s what they think of when they try to decide what to do with the kid`s hair.

2) The parents mean well, but have shockingly poor taste.

3) The hair-styling parent is terrible with his/her hands. (My mother nearly scalped me every time she tried to braid my hair. And she always used her teeth as an extra hand. Needless to say, I learned how to braid my own hair very early.)

4) The parent is desparate for a low-tangle style.

5) The parent is not to blame. The style is either the kid`s doing or a result of fixing the kid`s self-cut.
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2002 at 5:15pm
Another reason can be that having the hair "up" means that the child is less prone to catching head lice. No, don`t laugh; it still happens in the UK - not long ago we still used to have big matronly "nit nurses" who used to perform random inspections with big combs. Anyone caught used to be temporarily removed from the classroom and given the smelly oil treatment, or had their head shaved. I`m not making this up!
phil
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic