Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

split ends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: split ends
    Posted: May 01 2001 at 9:48pm
Split ends are actually the direct result of cutting hair. Hair that >grows naturally from
the formation of the hair follicle and remains >uncut until
that follicle dies and the hair falls out will have a >tapered
shape. The young hair is extremely fine and flexible at the
>tip, like the tip of a branch of a tree. As the hair grows, the
>follicle enlarges, and the diameter of the hair

These thoughts are shared among a few people and it really makes me think because I have they have a good point. I have also notice that some people who cut their hair frequently do have lots of splits end so I wonder what gives? I always thought I had some split ends because of the weather, wind etc.
dianefromcanada
wolfgang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2001 at 7:20am
Reply to message: 10.3346.1
Hello Diane,

I think it is a nice idea that hair that will not be cut from the beginning of its lifetime will protect itself for split ends. Scientifics say that the usual hair lives 4 or 5 years and then it will be replaced by a new one, so from the theory a women with waist length hair needs no cut.

But it is also known that hair will be damaged through much combing, maybe also through friction with clothes. So it is important to comb the hair very carefully and only if necessary.

I think washing of the hair is necessary because our environment is very dirty and I don`t know how all this stuff influences the hair. Hair is much more sensitive as the skin itself and it is the first one that suffers through radiation. From a coworker I heard that he only uses stuff for body care for hair washing because shampoo is too agressive, even if it is thinned with water. And it helped him to reduce hair loss.

I heard that split ends occur from dry ends, so something like Jojoba oil could help to protect it (or conditioner, but I am not sure if it helps alone).

I know if split ends occur they can grow up and destroy the hair, so a cut seems necessary, but it is besser to do it individually as to cut off all the hair around.

A problem may be that damages of the hair can not always be seen from an outer view, but there exist also women with the best healthy hair one can imagine and they cut it for different reasons, so I think a certain tolerance against hair damages should be allowed.

wolfgang
Kimberlina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberlina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2001 at 11:32pm
Reply to message: 10.3348.1
Hi,

I have no idea what causes split ends, but I just thought that I would share my personal opinion.

From when I was about 12 to about 14, I didn`t cut my hair, so it was pretty long. (My hair grows super fast!) It was about to the middle of my back and I had heaps of split ends. I hadn`t dyed it back then, and I didn`t wash my hair too frequently. (About twice a week, I think it was) So, I started to get it cut more regularly, now at 20, I don`t get split ends ever and I get my hair cut every 2 months or so. I wash my hair every third day, and brush it when it`s wet sometimes. I colour my hair now as well. I do use leave in conditioners and defrizz products though, so I wonder if that helps.

Just thought that it was a little strange myself.
From the one and only Kimberlina from Australia!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic