Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Let`s hear some rebel stories.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let`s hear some rebel stories.
    Posted: June 02 2001 at 11:48am
I feel that the recent 5 or 6 years have shown more conformism in society than any era since the 1960s.
This is especially true in the fashion industry, and thus, for peoples` hair. (just look at how few guys have hair longer than their ears, and how many gel spikes or mats into it; look at how few girls have really long hair, and how many people can`t resist changing the color of their hair). However, even today`s conformism can`t hold a candle to that of the first half of this century, especially the 1950s. Let`s hear some rebel stories (that happened to you, your friend, your grandmother, anyone) in any period of fashion, that made them stand out of the crowd, such as:

-a 1920s flapper that wore her hair long
-a guy any time when this was not fashionable with long hair or a beard
-a middle or upper class woman in the 1930s that didn`t curl her hair
-someone who resists hairstylists` pressure to do something fashionable, like short hair or highlights
-anything else similar.

This could be a fascinationg thread. Here is my story, which is really rather meek. I refuse to do anything just for the sake of fashion. The male models of this era usually are clean-shaven and have well-barbered
hair, or else a buzz cut or a gelled-up Caesar crop or whatever. My look is longer than this. I don`t shave my beard, except sometimes the hairs on the `borders` and I cut my own hair, not too short. Last 2 years, khakis were all the rage (this is a little off topic, but illustrates me better) but I can`t stand them. I think they are not that nice, and subtly discourage the right to be casually dressed at work. So I stay away from them.
Will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2001 at 9:57pm
Reply to message: 10.3401.1
Being a 25 yr. old guy with long hair, you tend to see the opposite. Wherever I go I always see guys with short hair, its like looking over a sea of conformity and trying to find out if your the only one with the longer hair. I have had my like this twice in my life. Both times, I noticed a complete lack of attention, which is disturbing. I can find no real reason (other than for fighting) that a man should not have long hair, and I like having it there, even though it gets in my way sometimes. Tonight I am going to root around through the net for articles confirming or denying this. So far I havent found much negativity, but perhaps I am looking in the wrong places.

I sencierly hope that I can keep it, but for a matter of convience I might not.
BluCurls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BluCurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2001 at 5:06pm
well it seems that in hollywood or fashion, curls are dogged left and right. Just look at the disney movie- princess diaries. She wasn`t "perfect" until her hair was straightened. And what`s worse, the actress doesn`t even have naturally curly hair! they put a wig on her just so they could illustrate the point! err. anyway, I have naturally curly hair and I also refuse to dye it! It seems I go against trends most of the time, my hair is always super long when it is trendy to go pixie. Or I go and get a flappers cut when long tresses are all the rage. And now, glasses are considered fashionable-people even get them with clear glass, just for the look-and I`ve been wearing mine since high school. (thanks god the frames have gotten lighter though!)
Lina View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2001 at 9:14pm
Reply to message: 10.3454.1
Well.. if he lived in a hot/humid climate, short hair would be advantageous.... And short hair, shaven beard enable us to distinguish between men, who, all with long hair and beards, might look more and more similar..

Not that they don`t all look the same with short hair. But facial features tend to distinguish a man more than a haircut.

But it`s true.. in Northern climates (ie, anywhere with a distinct "winter"), long hair is advantageous.. keeps you warm, keeps bugs away. Beards even store "snacks" for later....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic