Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why did you stop going to your last hairdresser?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did you stop going to your last hairdresser?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did you stop going to your last hairdresser?
    Posted: March 01 2003 at 10:54pm
Hi Gang,

I'm just curious about why you left your last hairdresser? This is to help educate my newer stylist on what not to do.

Thank you
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2003 at 8:50am
What I said: "Cut off very little hair - I don't want it short. I'm thinking about growing it long".

What she heard: "Cut it off. I want very little hair, really short. I don't want it long".
Uzi

Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2003 at 8:05pm
With me it was just the opposite of Uzma.

I wanted to go to a short pixie and she was afraid to cut it as short as I wanted even though there was another women who worked in the salon who had very short hair.
I almost asked to have the short haired beautician who was working on another customer to come over and finish my haircut.

I guess it is better to cut too little than too much though because you can always cut more off if the customer doesn't like it.

To me the most important thing about having a good hairdresser (and mine is good now because she knows what I want now), is to LISTEN to the customer and then have the KNOWLEDGE and SKILL at haircutting to do what the customer WANTS TO HAVE DONE with their hair. After all it is THEIR HAIR!

Lady Maria
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2003 at 8:43pm
How did you feel about the atmosphere?
Did it play any role in your experience?
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2003 at 10:55pm
Atmosphere?

Well politeness and good manners are always important. And cleanliness.
I don't mind music playing if the music is good music but not rap , heavy metal or music that is too loud. Quiet isn't bad either.

The place I go to is well lit but not too bright and not too noisy. It's nice and the lady who does my hair knows exactly how I want it cut; short but not as short as a crewcut. And she knows the style of pixie I like. I just want her to give me a trim to keep it neat, and that is exactly what she does.
Lady Maria
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2003 at 5:48am
Hi

Just thought I would throw my two cents in. I recently left my hairdresser of 7 years. In the past 7 years I followed her to three salons. I left her becasue she has been slowly but surely, slacking on the quality of work she puts into my hair. She is young and doing through some personal stuff right now, but she should not let this come out in her work. The last time I went to see her, 2 months ago, she removed a black haircolor from my hair and added in a reddish brown. That is what I wanted. When she was done. I had a a more intense brownish red part at the top of my head(roots) and black chunks throughout the middle and bottom sections mixed with reddish brown parts. She said they were lowlights and that It would take alot more stripping to get it solid. I didn't understand why she didn't do it all in the first place before she added color. SHe had another client waiting so i would have to reschedule for her to fix it. For this I paid 75 dollars (no cut or blowdry included)When it finally dried I was very unsatisfied. Two weeks later I had to color it again becasue the roots had faded to such alight color that it looked funny with the rest.

I have not been to her since.

Jacqui
Leanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2003 at 5:53am
I have short hair - and my old stylist cut it depending on how she felt.
When she had a good day I received a good cut - well, on a bad day I had a bad hair day as well. Uneven....which is not what you want with short hair or any length of hair.

So I changed stylist and I am quite happy :-)
I got a consultation, we discussed my lifestyle, styling options - thanX Joyce! My next appointment is already booked.

Also both salons are different - the old one is in a mall, quite small, only lots of clients in the weekend, not during the week. Stylists don't talk to you if they don't like you, fit into their idea of life (sorry, I don't party all weekend...).
Two walls were glass (windows to the passage in the mall), so whatever happened to you was witnessed by people walking by.

New salon is quite big, in an old building with high ceilings, lots of light. People passing by can't necessarily see you with your head in foil or curlers due to the position of the stations.

Both offer free refreshments, both have quite young stylists working there.
My new salon also offers booking via the internet, though I prefer the personal contact in this busy world it is an option some people will like.

I am happy with my decision!
There is not only black and white, there is also grey

Leanan
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2003 at 7:42pm
This is such a good thread, Lili.

I love reading all of your Salon experiences.

Post on Guy's.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2003 at 9:47pm
I switched because a new salon opened close to my house and I saw a haircut that the owner had done and really liked it. I went in for a consultation and Voila (this is the name of the salon too), I had a new style that was great. I have been going there ever since and I am very, very happy with the quality of the haircuts and color I get there. This stylist is a french guy and he is just a wizard with hair. Very, very few people can do much with my fine, thin hair and this is the first stylist to make me happy since I left Atlanta.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
LaFeeVerte View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaFeeVerte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2003 at 6:28pm
The lady I used to go to was really good with my hair, but I started to feel like the styles she was giving me were making me look older. It was also hard to get ahold of her for an appointment, because she didn't work much. The girl I go to now also has a limited schedule, but the salon she works in is much closer to my house and the styles I get from her are much more younger.
wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 6:47pm
the worst hair salon experiance I've ever had was about 7 months ago. My hair had gotten long and I was just going in for a trim(1-2 inches off). When the hairdresser was finished I realized that about 5 inches were gone! I was extremly upset and haven't gone back there since.
Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
- M. Scott Peck
Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2003 at 7:21pm
A better question would be : -----Why do you go to the hairdresser that you do?
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 11:21am
Good question. Because I like the way he does my hair. I can style it myself and go longer between trims. That is what makes a hairdresser great.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 11:28am
I started going to a different person to do my hair because I felt she lost her touch. She started out really good, being attentive, and did a good job. However, as time went on, I started getting the feeling that she wasn't paying enough attention anymore. It seemed that she was doing things haphazardly. I understand people have bad days at work and whatnot, but it happened about three times and I decided that I needed to find someone else to do my hair.
Kgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 10:40am
She always trimmed too much of my hair so it would never grow out long. And she totally fried my hair with bleach trying to give me highlights! And didn't bother to apply toner afterward. :( It's taken me 4 months (and a new hair stylist) to FINALLY get my hair in reasonably healthy condition.
kinat_gin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinat_gin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 3:14am
Oh! I have lost so many hairstylists! I have specifically said HOW much I want off and everytime they didn't listen. At one place, I even brought a picture in, and she just put it aside and never looked at it the whole time she was cutting my hair!

Basicallly, my problem is like Lady Maria's. I like to wear my hair very short, and when I had it long, everyone seemed afraid to cut it. I know I can be very particular, but it is MY hair. I don't think my requests are unreasonable, mainly along the lines of please cut this much off, and please do not put any styling gel in it because I don't have time to do that everyday. Basically, I want what you see is what you get.

What REALLY irritates me is the many times I have gone in to a certain place and asked for "just a trim, not too much off, please," and have walked out with a completely different style! My biggest problem is that since I'm a female, most of my former stylists ASSUMED I wanted to look "totally cute" even after I asked for a specific cut! And, am I the only one who doesn't like it when they need to put so many styling products in your hair to make it look good or like you asked for? I personally like it simple, no gel. I hate it when they try to mousse up my hair.

Well, that's my rant. Thanks for reading. I guess to summ it all up, my main problem is that I have a VERY specific idea of how I want my hair, and all my stylists ussually tried to make it look like THEIR version of what they liked (trendy, cute, etc) despite what I told them I wanted done with MY HAIR!!!

Advice for hair stylists: LISTEN! If your customer specifically asks for a specific cut, don't get creative unless they ask you to. Most people don't want to be a pallette for your ideas; they just want their hair done the way they ASK for it!
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 12:50pm
i went to my last stylist for 3 1/2 years before i moved closer to work but further away from her. When she was on maternity leave, i thought i'd go crazy, i needed a haircut so badly! She has curly hair like mine and even was coloring her hair a similar shade of red. She is wonderful with color but when i started wearing my hair shorter, could not get the style i wanted. i was wanting a more blunt/square cut and she loves a round, soft look. Looks great on her but not what i wanted for me.

Anyway, i ended up moving closer to work, further from her salon, and it was difficult to make an appointment that was convenient for me and fit into her book. (it's an hour drive from work and my weekends are always booked up) I was having a really hard time making an appointment to have my hair colored before an important event so one day on a whim i bought a box of color and did it myself. It turned out so good i've done it myself ever since.

I never really loved her cuts so i started going to a guy a friend recomended. Turns out he's from a sicilian family just like me and they all have curly hair, including his wife and he is brilliant with curly hair! He is SO good with my hair, cut exactly like i wanted and he's so close to my work, i can go on my lunch break for a cut!
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 2:30pm
I stopped going to my last hairdresser because he tried to feel me up.
gizmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2004 at 10:08pm
I don't have a regular hairdresser. I just never "connected" with a particular one or felt the need to visit the same one over and over.

Now partly, this might be due to using Visible Changes (mall salon) as my salon of choice (it's either that or engage in a crapshoot with all the little hometown salons around here) and they tend to have a rotating line-up of hairdressers.

Secondly, I hate spending lots of money on my hair and can only really part with $40 or less for a decent haircut.

Third, I have my mother who absolutely swears by a single hairdresser and I keep seeing the same haircut on her...month after month, year after year.

I like change. I like being fearless with my hair (from below my shoulders to above my ears in a single swoop) and hate being hindered by a stylist who doesn't think I should do it.

I did like my last stylist. She did an excellent job on my hair. However, I can't remember her name. :p
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2004 at 10:05am
I used to go to my last stylist because she was able to give me a nice bob - hard to do on fine, straight hair like mine. But one day, after finishing the cut, she took the shaver to shave up my neck, and afterward shaved off "a few" strays from the bob itself.

The next day I washed it and the only thing it would do was a choppy, shaggy flip. It looked like I was trying to grow out a really bad haircut. Even with close trims, it took months to grow out.

My current stylist is the one I went to immediately after her. He trims exactly how much I want removed. No surprises. I've been a client now for more than 10 years.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic