Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dont` Want To Look Stupid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Puleeze View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puleeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dont` Want To Look Stupid
    Posted: June 18 2001 at 10:17pm
but can you help me learn to get spikes in my hair? I am all thumbs.

Tx
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2001 at 12:44am
Reply to message: 14.258.1
quote:

Puleeze originally wrote:
but can you help me learn to get spikes in my hair? I am all thumbs.

Tx

Hi,

What is key is the right hair texture and hair cut. If you have super curly or wavy hair, spikes are going to be a lot harder to achieve. Also, fine and thin hair is not ideal for spikes unless you are willing to use some pretty heavy wax to hold the spikes in place.

If you have medium to thick hair that is straight or only a little wavy/curly, you have the best shot at getting great spikes.

A cut would require a lot of angled layers or texturizing around the crown. A fade with a little longer crown area with lots of smaller layers cut at an angle is what would work. A good stylist should be very comfortable create a spiked hairstyle.

To style spikes you need to keep the hair from getting too soft. So avoid a heavy moisturizing shampoo, avoid a rinse out or leave in conditioner if it will be moisturizing. A normal or clarifying shampoo works fine. It is often easier to create spikes on slightly damp hair. Apply a good hair paste or wax, depending on your hair type and texture. Take a small section, apply the wax or paste along the length of the hair. Then twist into the spike form you like. The more you twist, the tighter the spikes.

When you have your hair in the shape you like spray with a good setting spray.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
scrye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2001 at 11:37am
Depends kinda on what your hair color is and if you want it to be discolored or not, there are 2 different really good gels to use and they cost really no more then 2 dollars, they are the clear softee, and black protek. you can find the softee at your local dollar store, and the protek basically at any wal-mart. the protek is stronger but however it will temporarily discolor your hair color.

i have my hair naturally curly and its about 6 inches long right now, and i have a friend who has succesfully spiked my hair with the clear protek (the softee is stronger.) what he did was that he basically just formed really really thick base at my hair and put a whole lot of the gel in and worked it up while twisting it, then we held it up as straight as possible and then took a blow dryer and blew it until it was dry then went to another spike.

I succesfully got it into 3 rows with about 4 spikes on each one.

justin
"Death is all around me, but now I'd rather die then follow mediocrity" Run - Project 86

"Boys think their the bomb, because they remind them of their mom" Barlow Girls - Superchic[k]

justin
Dewayne View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dewayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2001 at 2:00am
Reply to message: 14.297.1
Hey wuzzzzzzz up. Well i know of a really great gel but you can only get it at a salon. It is Ice. This is really strong stuff. It is water proof so you dont have to worry about the rain. It costs 20 bucks but it is worth it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic