Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perm nightmare!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brokenangel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perm nightmare!
    Posted: January 19 2006 at 2:29am

I've been in tears everyday for the last week over this. My sister(who just finished cosmotology school) permed my hair last weekend. Since my hair had been previously colored...she used a perm solution by Matrix for color treated hair. I don't know what happened, but the perm turned out to be a mess and my hair started breaking off at the root. I have huge areas of little stubbley hairs all over my scalp. I'm still trying to figure out when this happened because the morning after the perm...I felt my scalp and noticed there were tiny stubbley hairs all over. I looked in the mirror and found several areas where it is pretty noticable. It looks especially thin on top. It also left my hair color(which was previously a medium brown) with bright orange streaks all over. Well, now I'm doing everything I can to try to help the damage. I've been using Redken Cat Protein Reconstructor and a couple different deep conditioners. I also just ordered a reconstructor by K-pak after reading it was supposed to be the best. My hair is starting to feel stronger and softer already. As far as I can tell...it's no longer breaking off.

This is probably a dumb question...but is there any way at all I can safely color my hair or somehow tone down the orange. I don't want to do anything to cause my hair to start breaking off again, but the color is really awful. I'm supposed to go to a Wedding this weekend and I would really like to find a way to tone down the orange and make the color more even before Sat. Is there any semi or demi permanant hair colors that might be safe enough to use? Also, is there anything else I could be doing to help the damage?

I would appreciate any advice...thanks so much!

Edited by brokenangel
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 8:54am

So sorry to hear about your perm disaster.  Unforturnately I hear stories like this daily...via Askkaren...and there really is not much you can do at this point.

I would NOT recommend any type of hair color or additional chemicals be used.

I would suggest that you find some really awesome hair accessories...specifically the wide "scarf" headbands that cover a lot of the hair.  They don't have to be expensive and they come in every color, material and style known to woman.  Or if you have a nice shaped head (some people don't like their head shapes) you have go with a dressy satin du rag style of headband and wear it from the forehead to the back.

Or I would suggest clip on strands used in conjunction with a headband.  The wide scarf headbands come in everything from silk, satin, velvet, lace, grosgrain ribbon, faux satin (very inexpensive pricing), faux suede, real suede.  You name it...its out there.

Wedding are always a great time to wear accessories.

If you still want to even out the color....I would suggest you find a color expert.  With the recent perm...you have no idea how porous your hair might be at the moment which could mean that your hair will absorb color in unexpected ways.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 1:21am
Maybe you could buy a wig for the wedding?  Or get your sister to buy it for you, since it's her fault :-P . . .
More awesome than a manatee!
hannebash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannebash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 11:56am
Hey! I responded to your post at healthboards. I'm glad you found your way here, this is the best for advice and healthboards won't let you talk about other websites. Good luck.
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 12:29am

I agree with Kuroneko.

I think your best bet is to buy a really nice wig and just start over. I know it's painful to lose so much hair, but what else can you do?

I think every woman needs at least one good wig. Heck, I still wear a wig sometimes.

IMO, this is a much better alternative than more chemicals.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 7:17am
I'd go for a pigment depositing shampoo and use it every time you wash to tone down the orange so its not so noticeable.  You can get them in ash brown and that should work.  They are not the cleary looking ones they market as color enhancers, but are thick and look like opaque paint in the bottle.

I also meant to say but forgot:  When I got perms on healthy hair, I got those stubbly short hairs I could feel in all my parts.  Perms are just BAD for hair, even when it hasn't been dyed.

Edited by Susan W
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic