Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with tangles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with tangles
    Posted: March 01 2006 at 1:34pm

Can anyone recommend any products or methods for avoiding or minimizing tangled hair?  Or does anyone have any recommendations for untangling hair once its already tangles?

My 6-year old daughter has lots of hair and it's long (all the way down her back).  I spend 30-60 minutes each evening combing (or trying to comb out) the tangles.  I know it's uncomfortable for her because as gentle as I try to be, I occasionally (accidentally) pull her head to get thru a particularly nasty knot.

It seems to be worse in winter.  I went to the section where you all have frequently asked questions posted and it mentioned winter haircare and using a humidifier.  I've been running a humidifier in her room at night for over a week and it isn't really helping.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Caramia

Edited to correct spelling error.

Edited by caramia
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me."
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 2:04pm
i dont know what others think,but the tried and true "No More Tangles",has always worked for tangles.If you cant find that,Mary kate and ashley olsen have hair products,and one is a detangler.I have been using that on my two year old.He has longer hair for a boy,its straight and fine.It gets tangly after baths.Of course his head is sensitive.But the MK and A olsen detangler works great.HTH
philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 2:49pm

After enduring a childhood of very painful brushing I learnt to,

Comb through hair before washing

Use a leave in conditioner and keep hair well conditioned in general

Leave hair plaited, finger comb each night then re-plait

start combing hair at the very ends and work your way up very slowly

comb hair in small sections

Hope that helps!  Obviously your child may not want their hair plaited everyday but if it does have a tendency to tangle then it really is the best thing to do as the tangles will cause damage, even if it is just plaited while getting dressed etc this will help.  I never wear my hair down as I can't bear the thought of the pain!

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 2:57pm
Also try using a silicone spray like john frieda. It'll give the hair mor elsi-p and make it easier to detangle.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 8:47am
One thing I'd like to add is to make sure she's drying and washing her hair correctly.  Jennifer has a couple daughters with long hair and I know they used to put their hair up on their head to wash it instead of leaving it hang down and just letting the suds wash through it.  Also, make sure she isn't roughing it up when she dries it and instead just lightly towel dries it by squeezing it.  Try a leave-in conditioner like you'd use on your own hair.  Jennifer uses Infusium and loves it.  Others don't care for it so you have to find one that works for you.

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 10:21am
Balmer Merlin.  

Good advice offered by all.  Let us know what you try and how it works.
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 6:51am

Thank you all for your replies! 

I don't pile her hair on top of her head when washing.  I just scrub her scalp and leave the rest of her hair hanging down her back and let the suds slip down.  We don't even towel dry.  We just totally air dry so as to not tangle any more of the hair.  I comb her hair from the bottom up in small sections.

I found the John Frieda silicone spray and will try that tonight.  I'll try to find the Mary Kate and Ashley stuff again - 1st glance around my local Walmart and I couldn't find it.  I've tried Infusium on my own hair in the past but my hair felt sticky after it dried.  I'll put the No More Tangles spray on my "to purchase" list as well.

Thanks for your support - I'll let you know how it goes.

Caramia

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me."
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 6:12pm

If she's 6, a good style is to put it into side-by-side "pigtails". Braid it all the way down and secure it with a fabric covered elastic (which come in all sizes). You could also bring it back up and secure it kind of like a loop. She'll probably be very happy to have her hair out of the way as she plays and a bonus will be that she no longer gets tangles!

You could also secure it in different ways with ribbons. The fun thing is buying a lot of ribbons that can match her clothing everyday.

Or, easier, but IMO better for older girls, one long braid down the back with a ribbon braided into it.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 6:14pm
Also, make sure her hair is braided when she sleeps, swims, or plays.
Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
misso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 7:32pm
My 2 and a half year old has long semi curly hair, loose curls, rally nice.
For my own pleasure I used to leave it loose all the time, which led to
similar problems. Her hair is waist length now and I was forced to change
her routine.
In the shower after shampoo I condition and comb her hair, when she is
out of the shower it is already tangle free. I comb it through again and
put it in a pony tail. I try to keep it in a pony tail now for her most of the
time, as it gets stuch in buttons and other things even during the day. If
she wanted loose now, I can let her do that ocaasionally.
If between showers it gets tangled again I use a leave in and brush it
throught slowly starting at the ends.
However, I found the most important thing is using the conditioner and
combing in the shower.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic