Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CO question - adjustment period?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CO question - adjustment period?
    Posted: July 15 2006 at 10:53am
I started to CO.  I was doing CWC befoe, but I really want to try eliminating shampoo altogether -- at least give it a try for a substantial period of time. 

With CWC followed by a vinegar rinse, I was able to go a full week without any greasiness (before the heat of summer, anyway).  Now I find that with CO, even with the vinegar rinse, my hair starts to look greasy even the next evening.  Is this an adjustment period like one would have doing WO? 

Now I am simply increasing the frequency of CO to every other day, but I'd like it to settle down eventually.  What do you think?
2b/F/ii
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 12:42pm
Hi RHPetunia,

I don't know from personal experience, but I've heard that others shifting to CO have undergone the same overly-greasy condition.  I think it settles down after awhile, though.
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 5:28pm

Yes, there is definitely an adjustment period. Mine lasted about a month......

horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 5:57pm
Mine hair took about a month to adjust, too, but I went back to S & C a while ago.

Edited by horselover_1625 - July 15 2006 at 5:57pm
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 8:44pm
Thank you for the information.  That's good to know.  I am very happy with CO so far.

Today I applied conditioner to dry hair and left it on for 45 minutes before getting in the shower and my hair feels heavenly now.  I have never done that before, but I guess it would maximize absorption.

Horse lover, did you find you were not happy with CO?

Special Kitty, I understand CO is going well for you from reading your other posts, right?

Thanks again!
2b/F/ii
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 11:12am
rhpetunia, I did CO for awhile with good results, but then got interested in WO, so tried that for a couple of weeks. Then I broke my WO streak with S&C (diluted). I think I will alternate with WO, CO and S&C for awhile. I'm trying to only wash once a week. Here's what I found:

With CO, I had a lot of buildup, so I had to clarify every few weeks. This dried out my hair too much (even with very low dilutions of ACV)

With WO, I had an amazing drop in my shedding rate (only 10-20 hairs per day), and most of the time my hair looked and felt great. But, I had to massage, finger comb, comb and brush frequently due to all the sebum. Eventually my hair didn't smell great.

With S&C, if I do this exclusively, it is too drying for my hair.

This is why I will do all three - probably mostly WO, then S&C every couple of weeks or so, and maybe throw in a CO if I feel like it.
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2006 at 6:44am
rhpetunia.....I was about to ask you what your CO method is, but I see you just did the CO to dry hair thing.  I do that too  and I did not experience an adjustment period.  That is the only way CO will work for me actually and my previous attempts were the CG method where I had to CO every day and my hair was a limp, lank, greasy mess.  Now, I only CO twice a week.

Good luck with it!

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2006 at 8:30am

Yes i agree that it will take time for your hair to settle down but in the meantime if your hair is overly greasy use this as a small push to wear up-dos a lot

rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2006 at 8:05pm
Rini, what is CG?  And how do you do your CO?  Do you dilute the C before applying it dry?  And what type of conditioner do you use?  I know a lot of people say that cheap conditioners work the best, but I just refuse to use anything too chemical-y.  Right now all my conditioners are Aubrey Organics, and maybe they are too heavy?  But it seems like the purest conditioners out there are heavy.  I have looked for lighter ones, but they seem to always have too much stuff I can't pronounce, and I leave them on the shelf.  Since you CO successfully and I understand you prefer natural products, I am very interested in your input on this, and anyone else's input as well.

Special Kitty, how long did it take for your hair to start not smelling great?  Thanks for all the info -- I guess a person doesn't necessarily have to just do one thing.  I did think of trying WO after adjusting to CO, and maybe doing primarily WO with the occasional CO to "freshen up", but we'll see how it goes.  I have chlorinated city water and DH won't let me use a shower filter (our next house will have two showers), so I think even when I do WO I'll need to condition the ends while WO-ing the scalp.

Horselover, how long did you stay on CO?

I was applying conditioner dry to both the scalp and ends, but I thought I was overmoisturizing near the scalp, so I started just doing from the ears down.  Then, when I got in the shower I would wash the scalp with the conditioner, quickly apply a protein conditioner and rinse, then finish with a vinegar rinse.

But, after about two and a half weeks I gave in and started washing again, so I failed this attempt at CO.  I plan on trying again when the weather gets cold.

And thanks for the suggestion, Sugar Cube.  Also, maybe updo's with a wide headband too, that can be quite stylish and concealing.

Thanks everyone for the input!

2b/F/ii
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 5:38am
rhpetunia....CO has been such a saga for me, but I'm happy to share.  I tried so many times CO washing using the method I had read about in the Curly Girl (CG) book by Lorraine Massey.  She says to use conditioner in the shower and massage it into your scalp like you would shampoo.  This method just would not work for me and I tried and failed on three separate attempts (of a month or longer each time).. I eventually decided to do this:  pile heaps of condish onto my dry hair until it is totally coated, then wrap in plastic wrap, put a warm hat over it all and wait 20mins before getting into the shower.  I then wet it a bit, "lather up", rinse and follow with an ACV rinse.  I get superb results with this method.

It does not seem to matter which CO I use, although I do prefer the more natural brands.  Right now I am using an Australian brand called Natural Instincts which contains: Purified water, organic blend of Nettle, Burdock, Rosehip, Horsetail, Lavender and Chamomile, Palm Kernal Alcohol, vegetable glycerine, wheatgerm oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, pure lavender essential oil, suttocide, vitamin E, grapeseed extract.

At present I am COing twice a week, but I'd like to get it down to once a week then I'd like to transition to WO.  I am just intrigued with the thought of not using any product at all, although I'm a little worried about what the reality will be with my hair!!

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2006 at 5:57am
Thank you Rini!  I'm going to try that, but I think I'll wait until the fall.  In fact, we are having a heat wave right now, and I'd imagine that's about the worst time possible to avoid shampoo!  I really do want to get away from shampooing, though, because I don't believe in it in principle, and I think in the long run CO will prevent chronic damage over time.  I just want to leverage my experience in my favor to help me be successful.
2b/F/ii
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic