Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Florida, Disney, long hair, tangles...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Florida, Disney, long hair, tangles...
    Posted: August 04 2006 at 7:14am
We're going to Florida soon. We're visiting my parents who live on the gulf coast, and we're taking our son to Disney. Disney is my main concern.

Two year ago, we spent 3 days at the Disney parks. Even though I had my hair tied back in a ponytail, it took me forever each night to untangle it due to perspiring all day, etc.. I was so tired each night we returned to the resort, but I knew that it would just be worse in the morning if I didn't untangle prior to bed.

We're going for 4 days at Disney this year and the hair is my only unhappy thought.

Any suggestions on how to avoid the tangles at the end of the day? (BTW, I don't normally have this issue up here in Ohio, even on these recent days of near 100 F...)

Happy thoughts of Disney...unhappy thoughts of tangles....
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 8:23am
How about a braid? If it's secure enough, there should be no tangles. I put mine in one for Alton Towers and it survived the roller coasters and hot weather. Since your hair is twice as long, it should stay more secure. To stop snagging, you could fold it over when it's done.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 9:09am
A braid would help big time, I sleep in a braid for the same reason. 

Enjoy the hotel conditioner!  I took the little half empty conditioner bottle back home with me from my last visit to Florida, and found when I use that I don't need to vinegar rinse!  Apparently some hotels must have  hard water and found a conditioner that would fix it for their customers - none of my other conditioners give me soft hair like I just vinegar rinsed after using like theirs does, I'm sad I'm almost out!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 11:53am

I agree with the braid. However consider oiling it before you put it in a braid and braid before you go to bed and when you wake up.

HTH
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 9:59pm
I also agree with the braid!
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 2:06pm
I appreciate the suggestions. A braid would be a logical solution, but my wife doesn't like it. I've braided it a few times here at home. Her only comment is "you wouldn't wear it like that out of the house?"...followed by "I won't go anywhere with you with your hair in a braid".

I guess I'll just have to deal with the tangles the best I can. It mostly tangles closer to my head in the back.

Thanks again for the input!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 6:57am
I'd say "Well, I need to wear it in a braid so it doesn't tangle.  If you won't let me do that, will you untangle it for me every day?"  Maybe she will change her mind, or either do the work!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2006 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

I'd say "Well, I need to wear it in a braid so it doesn't tangle.  If you won't let me do that, will you untangle it for me every day?"  Maybe she will change her mind, or either do the work!

Well Susan, my wife doesn't even touch my hair. She doesn't like my long hair and refuses to touch it. So that strategy wouldn't work.

She thinks a braid looks feminine.

She told me to grow it initially because she knew that's what I always wanted. But now that it's long, she "tolerates" it. She'd jump for joy if I buzzed it tomorrow
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 6:53am
Dang!  Thats too bad, your hair is so nice!  Figures that half of us with long hair always wind up with mates who don't care about it!  If it makes you feel better, my hubby could care less that I have long hair too.  He seemed to like it okay years ago when we first got together, and even brushed it once, but now he pays zero attention to it and is annoyed at how thoroughly it clogs up the vaccuum cleaner.

There's also the "hair cinch", you can see on haircinch.com   Its kind of like a braid, but gives you a more ethnic look so maybe you could get away with it then?  The silver and gold beads might look more feminine, but the white bead is really a dull gray, and doesn't stand out so much.  I have a couple of these, and you have to be careful with some of them, (the smallest bead size will get caught in your hair if you aren't careful, but the bigger beads do that less...and for comfort I wear a ponytail elastic at the top of it to prevent pulling). You can show her the website and see what she'd think (if you click on FAQ, a picture of a man wearing one appears at the top). 

Or how would she feel about it if you wore a baseball cap and pulled the ponytail through the hole in the back?  I've seen men wear it that way (though I've seen men in braids too), and even though a hat might be hotter, it might help keep it from tangling at the nape of your neck at least.

laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 7:43am
How about a hair glove like the motorcycle people wear.

www.hairglove.com

1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist
vivek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 9:00am
hai sunsailing

i am also a guy with 32 inches long hair. When i go to hot and humid places, i try plaits - may be a bit loose or some bun styles.

We are all here to support ur long hair

falconwithin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falconwithin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 2:01pm
What about braiding it then tucking the braid into your shirt?
thegrumpieone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegrumpieone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 10:33pm
I prefer to use ribbion wraps for my hair when I am traveling. I ride a Harley and I hate the "hairgloves". They make your hair smell like leather, they are hot in the heat, and if you have thick and really long hair they are useless. I put my hair in a ponytail at the nap of my neck, then take a very long piece of ribbon or two and wrap the rest of my ponytail in ribbon. That way if I can "postion" my hair depending on the ride, and my hair tends not to obsorb so many oders. 
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 9:00pm
Maybe you could try the braid anyway.

I tell my husband I won't be seen with him with his silly hat on, but that doesn't stop him !
2b/F/ii

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 6:49pm

I'm back from our 11 days in Florida (5 nights at Disney). I want to thank everyone for the suggestions.

Susan, I don't think I've ever seen the haircinch before. Thanks for the link. I might have to try one, or at least order one for my wife. Do you have the longer or shorter beads?

I didn't seem to have as much trouble with tangles as I did a couple of years ago. I just began using Lanza Be-Long conditioner which I really like. Maybe that made a positive difference.

Rhpetunia: That's funny! Even though I use that attitude from time to time, I do try to please my bride. BTW, we celebrated our 13th anniversary while in Florida!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 7:08am
I have all three kinds of beads.  I'd say the small barrel is the worst one for getting tangles.  (I also use a folded up post it note behind the bead while I'm pushing it towards my hair to keep hair from getting gnarled in it).  The celtic is nice and less problematic, likewise the engraved tube, which is actually quite a large bead...maybe a little bigger than in the photo they show.

Glad your trip was nice and not so tangly!

Edited by Susan W - August 22 2006 at 7:08am
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2006 at 4:59am
Hi Sunsailing,

Glad to hear that your Florida vacation was a success, all-around   (and that you were able to navigate the sensitivities involved).  I was just on vacation for two weeks, during which I found myself without conditioner.  So I "experimented" with Shampoo-only.  Needless (?) to say, it was much more tangle-prone than usual, but I think the mane survived largely intact (whew!).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic