Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Once long hair now short & damaged, help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
redheadUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redheadUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Once long hair now short & damaged, help?
    Posted: April 16 2007 at 9:39am
Hey, I'm new to the hairboutique forums & am hoping for some advice about my hair.
For all of my life I've had naturally curly, long red hair. But since about 3 years ago I've been straightening it [after letting it air dry] about twice a week with no real signs of damage.

I had a hair disaster last year when it got cut short in June & I was distraught, but by December it was back to just past my shoulders & one length.

But I got the new babyliss straightening hairdryer for christmas & by March this year it had completely destroyed my once lovely hair again Cry

It now just about touches my shoulders & is longer one side than the other, with split ends & very short broken strands on top.
I've been using deep conditioning treatments & staying away from my straighteners for a month & it this seems to have improved the condition a little.
But I was wondering if anyone has any tips about how to grow it long again? As the state of my hair atm is completely destroying my confidence.

I'll try & get some photographs of before & after.

Army Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Army Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 7:00pm
what types of shampoos, conditioners, styling products do you use?
Lori
1bCiii
hennahead
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 3:27pm
Do you want long hair? (I thought that was what you were saying, but I'm not entirely sure....). Anyway, if you do - here's what I would do if it was my hair:

stop straightening, blow drying, or anything else that is damaging your hair (color, bleach, metal clips, claw clips, etc)

use very gentle non SLS shampoos, diluted, and wash less often

get regular small trims to get rid of the damage
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 8:49am
I agree, it was probably a combination of the heat from straightening and the heat from the blow dryer (if you didn't use it on a cool setting - blow drying is fine if you use the cool setting).  It can look fine for awhile when you use a lot of heat, but eventually the cumulative damage takes its toll.  Just stop using the heat and your hair should grow back the way it was.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 2:34pm
     Well, UK Red, hair grows, and you're never too old to grow out a glorious entourage of hair shafts. If you choose, you might view this moment as the *last* time in your life you will need to endure a grow-out. Just be patient, pin it back, or put it up when you are frustrated. You'll succeed! Blessings, Bob Thumbs%20Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic