Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We all know afro hair grows slow...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Twinklesxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We all know afro hair grows slow...
    Posted: December 12 2007 at 3:13pm

does anyone know any tips to make it grow quicker? My short hair is driving me crazy as I needed to cut the relaxer out! I completely hate it! Please help. Being 17 and having the shortest hair isn't what dreams are made of - well mine anyway Smile

xxx
bellecheveux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellecheveux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 9:24am
You can do daily co-washing, use a growth aid like MN, keep your hair moisturized, do protective styles, do daily scalp massages. There's a lot you can do to help your hair grow. HTH!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 9:59pm

First, our hair grows just as  fast as anyone else. Keeping the hair that has grown is something that each individual must learn how to maintain.  Tell us what you do to your hair now, how frequently you do it and what products you are using  and we can try to help you from there.Smile

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 10:54am
try protective styling- cornrows or braids or twists. Also take your vitamins, drink lots of water, exercise and get plenty of sleep at nite. Mixture for growth/thickness- 1oz rosemary oil to 4-6 oz of castor oil- use this 2 to 3 times a week and massage it in. Baggy your ends at nite. Use natural products. Indian herbs (shikakai, aritha, tulsi, neem, amla), make a great herbal wash- you simply take 1 tbls of the powder or 1 tblsp of each powder and strain it in the coffeepot , add 1 cup of water for each tblsp that you use. You can also add a few squirts of castile soap. Make sure this is cool or cold when you use it, not hot. Deep condition your hair weekly for 30-45 mins with heat. Some folks like me need an hour- ideally. You can add honey, liquid aloe vera and a lil oil to your deep conditioner.

That's all i have.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 2:16pm
Well I wash it twice a week with Jojoba Shampoo and then condition it with tea tree conditioner. Then I let it naturally dry, oil it and I keep it cornrowed until my next wash. I don't really have a 'set' oil that I use, as I have to keep changing because my hair seems to drink so much!! I still can't find the right one! and at nights I tie my hair with a wrap, but it always comes off! LOL

I wanted to grow my hair out so I could get a wave nouveau (you may have seen my earlier post) in time for my 18th, but I get the feeling that a whole lot of growth won't develop in 6 months! Cry
Hair Envy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Envy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 7:00pm
Hair takes time to grow and unfortunately, it's not always at the pace that we want.  If you continue taking good care of your hair, you will see progress.  Make sure you have gotten rid of any split ends and keep your hair from being dry.  In time, you will retain more and more length helping you to achieve your goals.  Have patience and good luck.
African American Natural Curls - 3b/3c
Style Choice: Roller Set

www.long-healthy-hair-advisor.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellecheveux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 12:07am
You can get 3 inches in 6 months if you take care of your hair. Do you deep condition and/or use a leave-in?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 4:36am
I use to use a leave in conditioner and it seemed to help, it was just too greasy! I've only had deep conditions when I've been to the hairdresser, but I continually get told on here to use them at home too - so I will! Smile

Any suggestions on which one to use? Bearing in mind I live in the UK, and we don't always have what's in the US. And what's better deep conditioning / a leave in conditioner / or both?

Thanks Big%20smile

xxx
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2007 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by bellecheveux bellecheveux wrote:

You can get 3 inches in 6 months if you take care of your hair. Do you deep condition and/or use a leave-in?
Great website!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2007 at 8:57am
@twinkle

Both a deep conditioner and a leave in conditioner is great for your hair.  A leave in, replenishes the moisture that you lost during the day or the week.  You can use it as often as you like.   A deep conditioner is most often a protein to strengthen the hair. 

I am not sure what products exists in the UK...it takes trial and error with products, in order to find what works for YOUR hair.  Also if you look at the post above about homemade products you may have the ingredients at home to do a deep conditioner, with no need to search for a product.

Hope that helps.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2007 at 5:20am

Well, I used to use a leave in conditioner and it was quite good - bit pricey though, but I'm going to go back to it - anything to help really.

I got a private message about HairTopia, it's a pill that's meant to help your hair and nails grow. Does anyone have any feedback? There is some on the website, but I'd like to know if anyone here has used it, and is there any side effects?

Thanks

- Twinkles

PS: Thank you to everyone who's given me advice on here, it's really helped cause in the UK there isn't much support for afro type hair.

Thank you xxx
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 12:01pm
You are welcome.

I have heard about hairtopia. I have no experience with it and haven't heard of anyone using it thus far.

Happy Growing!
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellecheveux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 10:05am
Keracare Humecto is a great conditioner and as for a leave-in you can use whatever works for you. I use Kids Organics but I don't know if its available in the U.K... Confused

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 1:40pm

Keracare Humecto is a great conditioner and as for a leave-in you can use whatever works for you. I use Kids Organics but I don't know if its available in the U.K... Confused
Do you have relaxed hair?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellecheveux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Hair Goddess Hair Goddess wrote:

Do you have relaxed hair?

Yes Smile

Edited by bellecheveux - December 24 2007 at 8:24pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2007 at 4:47pm

I know that it's a lot of work maintaining strength with relaxed hair.

That is why I struggle with ever doing it again.  But I'm glad that you have length..it's very nice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinklesxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 8:35am

I've heard of Keracare but I've never used it, and the Organics range is available in the UK - I used to use it, but stopped for some reason.

I use the Tresemme range when it comes to washing my hair, and Dark and Lovely as a leave in (it's great - makes your hair so soft!) 

The Tresemme deep conditioning is excellent (well for my hair) and I saw quite a bit of growth in little time. I think the growth may have something to do with products I used but maybe more to do with the fact that I began to shampoo and conditon my hair everyday, which is a bit of a handful with my hair - but I think my hair was so greatful for the everyday pampering!!

I've stopped washing it everyday and gone down to twice a week as I find I don't have much time in the week - and I see little growth at all now. (So maybe the extra shamp and cond was helping, and maybe I've found the right leave in! Big%20smile)

I was told though, that if I kept my hair in cornrow while I wash it, it saves time and you can reach your scalp easier. I find that it actually helps !!

So I'm well on my way to getting sorted with my hair, the only thing with the above method is when you wash cornrow it makes it kinda messy on top, so I have to neaten it more often!! LOL

Hair!! It's so fustrating! but if it's for healthier, longer hair... Wink

Btw, do you use Keracare on your hair? If so which of the products do you use?

- Twinklesxx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellecheveux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 1:16pm
My stylist used the Humecto once and it worked amazingly. It's a bit pricey but I've found that Smart Style, The salon in Wal-Mart, sells it for $6.50 to $8.50. I might buy it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellecheveux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 1:17pm
And as for the Kids Organics, I really do recommend it for baggying because it works.
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2007 at 6:49pm

I used the Hairtopia Twinklesxx when i first started on this board. however, it is not about growing hair.. Hair grows and it can grow fast. But we need to retain length to see the progress. So you can take all the pills in the world if you can't retain the length you are popping pills in vain.

i don't take hair pills i do what these ladies have suggested. leave ins/deep conditioning/protective styling like braids for low manipulation/experimenting on what products work, etc.

Try MN concotion like OP suggested.

i suggest taking some time to check out some other post on the website for what some people have done with their hair to ensure they reach their goals.

Edited by kellie7777 - December 27 2007 at 6:50pm
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic